Clear all

Serenading strangers

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I'm doing an internship this summer in Maryland, with housing provided at a local extended stay suites hotel. Every night around 9:30 I come out to the courtyard and play my acoustic and sing a bit before going back to me room to practice my electric. Last night I was approached by a slightly tipsy fellow who invited me to come over to his table full of slightly tipsy food service management professionals who were at some sort of seminar. So I played, and quite a bit at that:

Norwegian Wood
Yesterday
Blowin' in the Wind
The Needle and The Damage Done
Wish You Were Here
Let it Be (which I didn't know the chords for...god I love faking it through simple but wonderful diatonic tunes)
Hotel California
Cecilia
Fire and Rain
Blackbird
Sweet Child O' Mine (which I think went better than my recorded take)
A fragment of my song-in-progress

After the first song, one of the slightly tipsy food service management professionals put a plastic cup next to me with a dollar in it, and over the course of the night a few others followed suit. $7 may not be much, but it's pretty good for just enjoying the evening. Plus, I was given a delicious plate of grilled chicken and steak for my efforts, and it's always fun to perform for such an appreciative audience.

~Sam

Posted : 19/07/2007 2:14 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sounds pretty cool. Cash and food are always a good thing!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 19/07/2007 2:27 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

:D not a bad deal at all.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 19/07/2007 2:40 pm
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Yeah, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. :)

-- Voidious

Posted : 19/07/2007 2:42 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Getting paid for practising is DEFINITELY cool! Wonder if you can make a regular thing out of it?

That's a pretty good set list there - if I'd been passing by, I'd have dropped a dollar in the cup for taste alone!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/07/2007 2:55 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

That's great. For 7 $ you can buy fresh strings and picks. Keep up the good work and one day you may get a job as an in-house entertainer for some big company.

Great song list as well. They are my all time favourites.

Posted : 19/07/2007 3:26 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

:D

Well, it don't get much better than that! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 19/07/2007 4:33 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

:)

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 19/07/2007 5:14 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Sweet :P

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 19/07/2007 6:58 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Now you can't claim "amateur" status any longer, you've crossed the line into professional music!

#4491....

Posted : 19/07/2007 7:51 pm
(@jacko23)
Eminent Member

the setlist was definately top notch! props on that one! now i have my own question about serenading strangers.... i never know what to play!!! i dont want to play other peoples stuff to a crowd of people, but im not confident enough in my own material. help me out folks...

Posted : 20/07/2007 10:39 am
(@deaconblues)

Very cool! I play most of the songs on your list. My usual audience is my cat, but occasionally I play for extended family and friends - kind of a singalong thing.

I'm interested in trying open-mic and wonder if anyone has suggestions for a first-timer.

Posted : 08/08/2007 7:36 pm