Clear all

Set up for my first gig

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Today was the auditions for our schools talent show. The idea came from the national honor society for a battle of the bands, there was limited responce to that, so it ended up becoming a talent show. Today at auditions, two groups showed up. My best friend and I are doing Brand New's "Play Crack the Sky", and then the local school jam band "Meatbiscuit" showed up. So its back to a battle of the bands. As musicians do, Meatbiscuit's drummer started warming up, and soon we were all jamming, together, in the band room. We were supposed to meet an the music teacher who was doing auditions there, but she was running late, so we put some stuff together. The drummer, steve, is endorsed by some drum company, he's extreamly good. His friend kyle plays keyboard, and the rest of the band goes to other schools. We decided that since it was only the two of us, Marcus and I, named for the moment Double D's because our last names both start with D, would open, and then meatbiscuit would play, and then we would both play a set together. We decided on "turn the page", and if we had time afterwords, "Hotel California" for the mixed set. Then the music teacher made it to the band room, a half hour or so later, with her class or something of the sort. Marcus and I played great, his vocals sounded better than the day before. For learning the song yesterday, I don't think I could have played any better. The music teacher said we sounded great, and that we could play no problem. Meatbiscuit, do to there out of school members, submitted a tape. The whole thing was great, and we can't wait for the gig, our first. Now all I have to do is learn the harmony chorus, and end, and were golden.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 14/12/2006 1:26 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like fun. :D Good luck! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/12/2006 3:05 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

How soon is the talent show?

Let us know how it goes. Bet you'll do great! 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 14/12/2006 3:20 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Now all I have to do is learn the harmony chorus, and end, and were golden.

And be sure to get us video. Gotta have video. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 14/12/2006 5:32 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Duff,
sounds like it was great. Its funny that you should mention learning the end, cos that what we had do concentrate on, the ending. I find that a song can go on for a long time (12 bar blues can go on forever), especially if there are a few lead breaks in there, and at some point you have to decide how your going to wrap that sucker up. Can be quite amusing if not everybody knows when its over. A good drummer with a few fills at the end comes in handy.
Good luck for the real thing.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 14/12/2006 6:31 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Good stuff Duff. Good luck and have fun

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 14/12/2006 2:59 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

+1 on Bish's call for video!!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 14/12/2006 3:07 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Good luck on the gig. :D

Practice up and make sure to write a good report. Video too!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 14/12/2006 7:55 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Good luck dude.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 14/12/2006 9:03 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Good luck!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 15/12/2006 9:40 am