Clear all

So I get this phone call....

26 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

There I am, sitting in front of the TV with several empty cans of lager and several full ones still to open, enjoying the football. Liverpool are winning 2-0 (it's a live game) and everything's all right with the world.

Then the phone rings.......

"Allright, Vic, any chance of you coming to the jam night tonight?"

"No way," says I, "had a few beers, I'm enjoying the football while the Mrs is at the bingo."

"Oh hell - I'm all on me own here, with a pub full of people, and I could really do with some back-up.....)

To cut a long story short, once I'd ascertained the football was on TV in the pub, I decided to go.....so I took the Tele, the cube amp and the mic. Didn't even have time to comb my hair before I'm pitched straight into "Dock Of The Bay".....

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/viclewis/?action=view&current=MOV00058.flv

Sweating like a pig by the time we'd finished that, so Stu - that's him with the Strat - says "how about 'Stand By Me?'"

"OK," I say - "in G?"

"Nah," says Stu, "I've got the slide and lead worked out in A....."

"So play everything 2 frets lower....."

"Just do it in A....."

"But ...... I can't get the high notes in A.......I cam just about reach them in G....."

"Oh shut up and do it in A......" so I did.....

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/viclewis/?action=view&current=MOV00062.flv

Couple of fluffs, couple of bum notes - but what the hell, I had literally two minutes notice.....

And it'll be better next time - especially if I remember to take a comb.....it can only get better.....

Oh yeah, and Liverpool won 4-0......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/12/2007 4:33 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

That was great Vic,

thanks for sharing

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 12/12/2007 7:07 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Vic and his Tele! Great! :D

Congrats to Stu.

Thanks.

PS. And congrats by the 4-0! Torres made the second, isn't it?

Posted : 12/12/2007 1:09 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic,

Pretty cool, way to step in on a moments notice...don't worry about the comb true rock n rollers don't use em.

Ever think about going with dreadlocks?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 12/12/2007 1:11 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Nice!

Your voice reminds me of Tom Petty a little bit!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 23/12/2007 2:03 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good job, Vic!!!

It's great to see others perform.

MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 23/12/2007 2:42 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great job on your impromptu performance Vic! I heard the audience singing along with you during "Stand By Me". 8)

Yep, I wouldn't worry about the hair either, I never comb mine before playing either, but then again, I have the same hairstyle as Stu's! :wink:

Thanks for sharing. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 23/12/2007 1:09 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I liked the videos. Glad you made it out there at such short notice.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 29/12/2007 10:42 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

lol, only caught the first bit of the first vid, but will listen more later. it was sounding great to me. I never play when drunk - its like I lose the ability - so I'm a little jealous. :evil:

hmm.........football or music? that's a tough one - glad you managed to fit in both at the same time. :mrgreen:

Great gig though! Reminded me of a few impromptu jam nights - but they're always the ones that go on to become stories..........the pre-planned everthing-worked-out-to-perfection ones are the ones we never remember two weeks down the line. :wink:

looking forward to this UK jam, if we can get it sorted (scrybe makes mental note to learn classics in weird keys, for amusement value :lol: )

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 04/01/2008 6:20 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

I know you are not around at the moment Vic but if you do look in on the forum,

Just wanted to say ---

I've only just seen this

Hey great job mate, you can't have drunk that much beer.

All the best for 2008

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 15/01/2008 8:13 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I know you are not around at the moment Vic but if you do look in on the forum......Chris

Well I'm back now........

Anyway, thanks all for the kind words. Looking back at the vids, I made a few mistakes on DOTB but managed to keep going - although I noticed Stu gave me a couple of dirty looks! I showed him the clips, and when he pointed out the mistakes I made on that song, well, I felt duty-bound to point out the bum chord he hit on SBM!

Stu's mate Andy had the camera - he filmed us playing a really good version of "Substitute" that night. Or rather, he thought he did, but the cam was on stand-by mode.....

But that's all just friendly banter....we can laugh about it now!

I've got a clip of us somewhere playing "Hey Joe" at Stuart's house - when I uploaded it and played it back, I thought, "wow, that's the best solo I've EVER played"......trouble is, I've watched it a few times and tried to play along, and I can NOT recreate that solo!

I'll try and find it and cut it down a little - it's about 8 mins long.....intro, couple of verses, Stu's solo, couple more verses, my solo, big ending.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/01/2008 11:35 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ah, found the "Hey Joe" clip, uploaded it to youtube.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1TPupOcVM

Hey, what can I say? I'm pretty proud of that solo.....and the fact I could drown out a 30W cube amp and a 25W marshall amp WITHOUT a mic.....

Vic

Posted : 20/01/2008 2:24 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Nice solo! Nice phrasing and sound, too. The other player (in my opinion) needs to be less "plinky" with that strat and put on some overdrive or something. When you went to solo his rhythm sounded even more plinky without your grit. Then again, I don't like Strats so...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 20/01/2008 2:56 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great solo Vic! 8)

I like Strats, but I agree with Corbind that Stu needed some overdrive for this song.

Keep the vids coming! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/01/2008 3:43 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Honestly, I'm (I hope) not being critical, just to give my thoughts. That little change will make the song + a few notches. And, just so you know, I don't think I could play as well as either of you (even if you put down a 12 pack of brew).

Posted : 20/01/2008 3:51 am
Page 1 / 2