Clear all

Song Surgeon

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just checked my mail and found one of the GN advertising e-mails. Now I understand that GN needs to suport itself somehow, and advertizing is probably the best and easiest way for all, but why do we have to advertise such products as 'Guitar Surgeon'? According to the site it's a piece of software worth '$97' but when I look at what it actually does it seems to be worth absolutely nothing at all. You can slow down the speed, change the picth and rip/convert audio files. Whoohoo, Media Player and such do that too are already installed on most computers. If not, everyone can download it for free from a billion sites. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems such a massive rip-off that I can't really understand why, of all possible products to plug, this one had to be chosen.

Posted : 13/10/2007 2:56 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I wondered about that too. It wouldn't have been my first choice for something to push either. As you say Media Player does some of those things, as does BestPractice which is a freeware download.

But I enjoy a lot of benefits from Guitarnoise for no cost, and if advertising products helps pay for it then that's fine by me. It's easy enough to ignore. A quick glance and a click and it was gone. The regular newsletters also now seem to contain 'recommendations' that appear to be scripted to look like they are personal messages from the newsletter author. But, like TV, I think that's just the cost of 'free to air'. I'm more irritated by some of the more obnoxious flashing ads on the forum - but I've learned to use the scroll button, and ignore them.

Would I help pay the cost of running an 'ad free' site instead though?
Probably not. In theory yes, but not likely in practice, as I don't use credit cards or online paying. So ignoring the occasional ad works for me.... 8)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 13/10/2007 10:04 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yep, I got that email too. :roll:

I guess as has been said before, we can just delete it & go on, but, I too agree though that with the high standards that GN has on this site, that the pruducts that are advertised should be up to the same standard. Not my call though.

Email deleted. :|

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 13/10/2007 10:07 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

all good points. I have no idea what it sells for. Also remember that some people aren't going to go and download winamp and plugins and would rather have a single application to do it for them. Some want an app that loads and does it's thing and not have to figure out how to slow down media player, cut the portion of song and save it. For instance I use Acid Music Studio to slow down tracks, but not just to slow down tracks. It's just much easier.

Acid Music Studio sells for $40 and does boatloads more just as a point of future reference.

I'll agree with both sides here, don't read it, click it, buy it, if you don't want it. But just because you don't see the value, don't assume everyone doesn't.

AND.....We should be really picky about what we advertise.

I'll mention it to Paul.

Posted : 13/10/2007 10:40 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

you need adds to run a free website-i am just glad i dont see the "congratulations you have won a free ipod "add here :D
because i never win the ipod and im pissed :evil:

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 14/10/2007 1:14 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

well probably at least a part of the solution is for people here to donate some bucks to this site using paypal or whatever. and that includes ME!

Posted : 14/10/2007 11:42 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

And here's the Donation Link

Just in case anyone was wondering how to financially support GN. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 15/10/2007 1:59 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I quit using the site I was using for years as my home page because it was running ads with those damn dancing silhouettes on it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 15/10/2007 4:50 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I hate those freakin' things. I downloaded SuperAd Blocker for my IE7 pc and just plain old block 'em on firefox.

They drive me nuts. I will never, ever, ever buy anything from anyone who ever advertises using them.

Posted : 15/10/2007 7:40 pm
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Ha, I'm the 999.999th lucky person. I'll bet none of you are so lucky. :P

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

Posted : 16/10/2007 9:32 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yeah, it got old after I was the 999,999 person 10 times in a row. :shock:

...............and I still haven't broken 1,000,000 yet. :(

:lol: