Clear all

Southern Roots Gig Report: Hopewell Moose Family Center

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The Hopewell Lodge is one of the larger lodges in the state, consisting of about 3000 members. The Family Center complex is enormous, with a huge ballroom for larger events, and the Social Quarters (a.k.a. "Lounge), billiards room, swimming pool, outdoor event and a handful of meeting rooms and offices.

We were booked into the Social Quarters lounge to provide free (to the members) entertainment. It's not a high paying engagement, but it's effectively a way to get paid for auditioning for the high profile balls, fund raisers, and holiday events that pay anywhere from $750 to $2000 per event.

The lodges also communicate with each other, with members routinely visiting a number of lodges in an area, so once you develop a good reputation with a few lodges, you suddenly find yourself with offers from all over the region. I think our performance last night was a big step in that direction. After we finished last night, we were notified in no uncertain terms that we WILL be asked to perform at several upcoming events on the lodge calendar, AND to return to the lounge (with a pay increase)!

So how did it go? Well, naturally i'm biased, but . . .

We came . . . .
We played . . .
We blew the roof off the joint. :twisted:

As you may know, we added a new lead singer back in July, Ms. Jackie Baker. She's a real pip, with a huge voice and a dynamic stage presence that's really added a lot to the show.

Along with getting Jackie settled in, we've spent a lot of time working on the pacing of the show, making sure that we keep the energy level up, and making sure the dancers don't have time to even think about leaving the floor before the next tune starts. We've concentrated on working the SHOW at practice, and the fact that the entire band realizes that learning their parts is done at home makes it very easy to do this.

It all paid off last night, and even Bobby, our crusty old sound guy cracked a grin, gave us a thumbs up, and a "You guys are just smokin' hot tonight." From my point of view, we stepped it up another level last night, and it looks like that opened a lot of doors for us.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 25/09/2010 8:21 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Way to go Moonrider!

Posted : 26/09/2010 10:44 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's how ya do it! Way to go.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/09/2010 11:22 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Ok - been reviewing the video we shot at this one. Here's a couple of clips from the show.

First a little classic CCR medley. The other guitarist takes lead duty on the transition between songs so I can pedal dance, but the bulk of the leads are me showing off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J6rue6YFVQ

Next, a little classic honky-tonk featuring our new singer, and showing the sweet side of my CV 50's tele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYCbsFwzAk

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 05/10/2010 1:42 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey man, I'm digging the vids. I'm on Green River...nice groove going.

As the GN'er closest to me - a mere 3 hours car ride, I hope to catch one of your gigs some day.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/10/2010 1:02 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Sounded good. Both the playing, and the quality of the recording.
Good choice of material too. That's the kind of stuff I'd come out to see.

And I like the trick with the rope lights to mark the border between the dance floor and "our space".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 05/10/2010 1:20 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It sounds very good!

Posted : 05/10/2010 2:12 pm