Clear all

Still In Limbo

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Photographic limbo, that is. And I expect to stay there until approximately June 2011. It happened by accident, I swear it, but I'm now organising a pretty massive exhibition and associated events (workshops, music night, stuff like that) in Liverpool. I'm also doing some work with a fairly big photo network locally. And I'm speaking at another photo festival, Format 11, in March. I'm also having to figure out the business side of things as I go.

This all essentially means lots of research, lots of cussing at computer, long hours, tons of meetings, and silly little frivilous matters like "VAT" and "banking fees". Pah!

Sorry guys, I'm not playing much guitar (spare few minutes here and there, usually while waiting for kettles to boil or dinners to finish being microwaved - yes, guitar is close to kitchen for convenience). Also not much chance of keeping up on the posts around here, or contributing much.

But I wish you all the best, and I'll try to get back in the loop when things have got a little less crazy busy in my photo-life. Should you wish to view some music related photowork, see here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/framersintent/collections/72157624989955639/

But this is much less a "view my stuff" post, and much more an "I miss you guys!" post. Love to all.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 11/01/2011 1:22 am
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Good to hear from you! I was starting to wonder what had happened to you....

I took a quick sample of your photos. Beautiful work! Great to see someone/anyone using B&W. And your sense of composition seems strong. (Are you first and foremost a photographer, or a musician, or both/neither? and, do you ever find yourself approaching one medium in terms of the other? that is, do you ever think of a photograph musically, or vice versa? I'm a writer by trade but a musician at heart, and I often find myself writing with my "musical ear" engaged.)

Did I thank you adequately for saving my fingernails with your good advice in a GN thread a while back? You totally saved my fingernails. Thank you!

Good luck with the exhibition, and one last query: What does "Ra er ga" mean??

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

Posted : 11/01/2011 1:42 am
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Nice to see you on here again, been following your photo work on FB with interest and I'll try and get to your exhibition etc when it opens - im sure you will publish details before then :)

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 11/01/2011 12:35 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Good to see you pop in, Sara - and I hope your exhibition is a huge success!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 11/01/2011 1:15 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice photos. I will review them, surely I will learn some things from them (btw, yesterday I was testing my new camera).

Best wishes for your exhibition!

Posted : 12/01/2011 12:45 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

What a nice reason for not spending time on guitar. Fabulous that you have two passions and are seeing success in both. Best of luck whatever direction you end up going.

Renee

Posted : 12/01/2011 4:28 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys, appreciated. I shot this last week, which I'm pretty proud of...

January 11 2011-15 by Framer's Intent, on Flickr

I took a quick sample of your photos. Beautiful work! Great to see someone/anyone using B&W. And your sense of composition seems strong. (Are you first and foremost a photographer, or a musician, or both/neither? and, do you ever find yourself approaching one medium in terms of the other? that is, do you ever think of a photograph musically, or vice versa? I'm a writer by trade but a musician at heart, and I often find myself writing with my "musical ear" engaged.)

Thanks, Crow. I have more experience in music than photography, but I also sketched a lot as a kid, so that might have influenced my composition a bit. I shoot a lot of street and candid stuff, and don't go overboard on kit either, just a prime lens fixed focal length, and I shoot manually (use auto-focus for action, but tweak everything else as I go, focus manually whenever possible), so there is a lot of "thinking musically" going on - paying attention and anticipating situations, and improvising/responding to what's going and the light. I never really have a plan in mind, I just "play it by ear" to quote a phrase.

The shot above, the gig had horrible LED red lights - red light is the hardest to work in too, as the camera doesn't meter it well at all, so you have to be good and comfortable with guessing exposures to nail it. A few 'togs were there, shot and gave up. I'd just been chilling and listening to my friends play for a change, not shooting. I made a few frames at the end and that was the best I got, but a few others worked well, too. It was just a case of working with what was there, and letting that determine how the image went. So, yeah, that bit is very much like jazz in a way.

There hasn't been a big feed back of the photography into my music, but the mindset and feeling/way of being has fed in when I've played of late. I expect that to grow or continue, which is great. Glad you're nails are in good shape these days! No worries.

Nuno,
Cheers for the message over on Flickr. Sorry I haven't posted back yet - been really busy these last few days. Buzz you soon tho.

Tom,
I owe you a really really long one. Will get to it. May go longhand for a change. Yeah, think so. Gimme a week or so on that, as there's something I want for it. The exhibition moves forward at a ridiculous pace, I'll keep you posted. Hope the music school is still doing as grand as the last time we spoke - serious congrats on that, an amazing achievement. And don't the long days feel good when things come together, eh? Glorious. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 20/01/2011 12:57 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

From tonight - http://bit.ly/e1AD0R

Now learning film processing by assisting legend John Davies in the dark room. Stoked! :P :P :P :P

Dean (my bass player) is expecting a baby in February. I can't commit to a gig I lined up for us at this space. A weekly thing that would bring in a good pay. So I've stood aside and told them to do it with Tom in my place. Dean was really uh humbled, nope wrong word......well, he seemed surprised I suggested it and was cool about it tho it had been my groundwork for us and wasn't sure if he should take it, but I insisted. Fair play and all. I'll sit in whenever I can, and dep for Tom if needed. Once I get a bit more balance back in the music-photo split, I'll just have to work harder to earn my spot back from Tom, haha. :wink: :P But it's all good, we're like fam. Hope they do well with it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 24/01/2011 3:42 am