Clear all

Teenagers Shouldn't Drive

45 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So, I'm coming home from work yesterday, and this 16 year old girl runs the stop sign in front of me, giving me no time to turn, brake or anything else. I t-bone her at speed. She's fine. My civic is totaled, and I'm home from work after spending last night in the emergency room.

No serious damage, but I've got one hell of a headache.

Got a CAT scan of the old noggin as well as full body x-rays.

I'm covered in cuts and abrasions and bruises. I look like someone took a baseball bat to me. It really is remarkable that nothing is broken and I'm not more seriously hurt.

The scariest part for me was really seeing her turn to look as I slammed into her car . . . I thought for sure I was about to kill her.

Followed shortly by the white dust from the air bags in the air, I thought for a few seconds my car was burning . . .

I have a few days of PTO carryover that I have to use before March, so I'm at home relaxing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 24/01/2008 2:45 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

This is why my parents didn't let me drive until I was 18.

I'm glad everyone is ok. I think people in general have difficulty with stop signs. There are several 4 way stops on my way to work and I can't tell you how many times I have almost hit someone like that. Teens and adults alike. I think people think since it's a sign and not a light, they don't really need to stop. Or maybe the red lights are brighter and they just don't see the signs, I don't know, but I hate stop signs.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 24/01/2008 2:55 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"people think since it's a sign and not a light, they don't really need to stop."
i'm thinking this should be your new sig KP

glad you are ok,
i would seriously think about getting a bigger vehicle tho, them little civics and accord-ians are death traps imo

#4491....

Posted : 24/01/2008 3:38 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I got rammed by a teenage girl just before Thanksgiving. After she called her mother, she turned to me and said laughingly, "The last car I hit was a Mercedes. And the first thing my Mom asked was, "You didn't hit another Mercedes, did you?". Ha ha ha!" No, just my Camry. No one was hurt other than the usual aches and pains after the shock of being hit.

But, on a more serious note, my nephew, Jeff, goes to Texas A&M University (first year, second semester). His friend, Brett, who he's known since they were both three (they're both 18 now), also goes there. Got a phone call from my sister a few days ago telling me that Brett somehow lost control of his car (doing 70 mph) and slammed into a tree. He's in Intensive Care with a broken leg that had to be fixed with pins and metal plates, and severe head injuries. The doctors are keeping him well sedated because when he does become conscious he screams in pain. They don't know how bad his head injuries are yet or how close to "normal" he'll be when he heals.

My sister called again last night and told me that Jeff's girlfriend, Mai, had to rush home to go to the funeral of her cousin who was killed in a one car crash. The cousin was 17.

So, I agree. Teenagers shouldn't drive.

I'm glad you're OK, Kingpatzer!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 24/01/2008 3:49 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Glad to hear everything is ok, David!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 24/01/2008 4:22 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Kp,

Glad to hear your OK that's scary.

But I see a pattern here, both you and Electra were hit by teenage "GIRLS" maybe the girls need to wait awhile before they get there liscense?

Ok before I get bashed that was a joke but having daughters of my own I have some firsthand knowledge. Actually only of the three is what I would call a bad driver and she's the one that waited until she was about 19 before she got her liscense.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 24/01/2008 5:36 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Over here in England, you can't even get a provisional license until your 17th birthday, and even when you have that you have to be accompanied AT ALL TIMES by a qualified driver. So a 16-y-o wouldn't even be allowed behind the wheel of a car. Even with that provisional license, you wouldn't be allowed on motorways (I think "Freeways" are the US equivalent, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) until you'd passed your driving test - a written theory exam, and of course the practical exam.

It'd be interesting to compare that with driving eligibility ages in the rest of Europe - I haven't a clue about those.

Kingpatzer, you're becoming more accident prone than me - hope everything heals OK!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/01/2008 6:13 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

From what I have heard from some of my internet friends in Europe, getting a drivers license over here in the US is A LOT easier and less expensive than getting one there. Each state is a little different but in Ohio we can get a learner's permit at 15, which requires you to drive with a licensed driver at all times. You also have to take a driver's education course if you are under 18. Mine was a couple hours each night for a week. Then at 16 and after 50 hours of driving, we take a fairly easy written test and a driving test. I think the written test took me about a half hour to take and the driving test was maybe an hour. The fee isn't all that much either: $23.00. Maybe they should make it harder.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 24/01/2008 6:52 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

The relatively young driving age in the US is partly based on the farming communities, where you'd be driving a tractor on the family farm at 14 or younger - South Dakota is still 14!. As the country becomes more hectic and crowded, the rules have bcome more restrictive. In New York City, you can't get your license until you are 18, but there is mass transit everywhere. Many adults (small percentage of a huge population) don't have a license there. The insurance companies are pushing kids to wait, as the insurance rates are quite painful until you turn 25, and most states require that you have insurance. Here in CT there are progressive restrictions. At 16, you can't drive after 10pm, and you can't have other teens in your car. At 17 you can have other teens, but you can't use a cell phone, even hands free. There are ther rules, but I forget some of the quirky ones.

A comparison by state: http://golocalnet.com/drivingage/

Posted : 24/01/2008 7:29 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Scarey stuff. Sure glad everyone is relatively OK. Hope you feel better soon.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 24/01/2008 7:45 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Thank god your all ok :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 24/01/2008 8:32 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

KP. I'm really glad you're fine and that the girl is fine too. I've had two people t-bone me by them running stop signs. Totalled my last two full size Chevy SUV and Van objects. We walked away from them both. One was 18 year old kid and other was mid-30s.

The laws here in NC have changed over the past decade too for younger drivers, but I don't know any of the specifics. I do know it's full of restrictions and steps before one gets full privaleges. I was against those kinds of laws when they came out, but I cannot argue with the successful outcome. Especially with a teenager in the house about to embark on his driving career.

Times have changed though. I remember driving the family cattle truck to school because I missed the bus. I'd had my NH license for over 1.5 years, but had to go back to driver's ed in NY to get the license there. Ended up getting it 10 days before I turned 18. Spent 10 days with a night time restriction when I didn't have one for nearly two years. Talk about a long 10 days. :)

Laz is right though. I was not a great driver until I moved to the farm for a year and a half. Drive a combine or a Ford 8000 diesel with a hay-baler and hay wagon attached to it. That's some education there. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/01/2008 8:41 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

This is not the kind of thread I need to be reading considering my oldest son will turn 16 in May. He has his learner's permit now and he scares me. He doesn't drive recklessly, he's just still uncomfortable with how long it takes to stop and how much to slow down before turning. One time he'll take a right hand turn like Mario Andretti and I swear we go up on 2 wheels, the next time he'll come to an almost complete stop on a major road while turning right. I grew up in a rural area and was driving when I was 14, he hasn't had that advantage. But, I think I was a lot less cautious when I hit 16 than he will be. I don't see his mom and I letting him drive on his own right at 16, he's just not going to be ready for that.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 24/01/2008 10:00 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

he Netherlands has one of the strictest exams in Europe, if not the strictest. Exam fees are at;east 1000 euro's and the examinator is allowed to disqualify any candiate without giving a reason. Many of my friends didn't got their license because 'they didn't look in the mirror convincingly enough'. Standard procedures in exams include parking in backwards on a hill and such.

Anyway, glad you made it out relatively unharmed. Hope you'll recover fully soon!

Posted : 24/01/2008 10:05 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Over here in the UK driving lessons are very expensive. I know because we bought some for our youngest son (who is 21 by the way) for Christmas. Roughly 4 hours worth of lessons cost us £100 (approx $197). That was with British School Of motoring (BSM)and they recommend at least 12 one hour lessons that include actual driving, classroom simulator driving and theory are the minimum you need to be good enough to take your first driving test and hopefully pass.

Guess what! our son will be financing the rest of his lessons himself.

When he passes there is then car purchase, car insurance (extremly expensive for a 17 year old and only starts to reduce significantly after the age of 25). Yearly MOT (Ministry Of Transport vechicle roadworthyness testing) £45 plus the cost of any repairs to get the car through the test. Average garage labour charges are £48 per hour plus cost of parts. Road Tax about £120 a year for a small car (less than 1.4 Litre engine size) You can't get road tax without car insurance and an MOT certificate. If you don't have road tax and the vehicle is on the road you can and will be fined hundreds of pounds even if you are not driving it.

Oh! and petrol! currently £1.06 a litre here. Thats about £40 to £45 to fill your tank. You might be lucky to get 300 miles out of that.

I don't know about Teenagers shouldn't drive, for all of us in the UK car ownership is bloody expensive and dangerous but almost vital as our railway system has been ruined by successive government policy and in-action over the last 40 years. (We invented rail travel believe it or not and it is the worst in Europe now) Buses never run on time because our roads are all snarled up with mugs like me in our cars. It will all end in tears you know!

My God what a rant!!! must stop now.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 25/01/2008 12:19 pm
Page 1 / 3