Notifications
Clear all

Teenagers Shouldn't Drive

45 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Interesting. None of my siblings, or myself, had a drivers license until we bought our own cars. My dad wasn't having any of us drive his car! That meant he did a lot of chauffeuring around, but he was willing to make a sacrifice. I think it was more the cost of insurance than fear on his part! With 9 kids, it would have been a nightmare anyway!
Glad everyone was ok, though.
I think it depends really, on the teen. Last November my sister was hit in a crosswalk , walking, with the light, by a woman making a left turn, who "didn't see her" !! My sister is a big girl who walks with a cane because of a previous accident. Kind of hard to miss! This was by a middle aged woman.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 25/01/2008 1:45 pm
(@seansdadj)

Yeah I don't know some kids should drive. A lot of them are into speeding just to look cool in front of their friends. And it's just all pretty dangerous.

Posted : 25/01/2008 5:10 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I'm pretty much the 40 year old virgin when it comes to my transportation, and let me tell ya, there are a LOT of people who shouldn't drive, as for being hit in crosswalks, a lot of drivers don't seem to understand the difference between a green left turn arrow light and the yield on green left turn lights. The only place more dangerous than being on the road, is being next to it, drivers look at what's on the road most of the time, the side doesn't matter unless it has flashing lights.

Posted : 25/01/2008 7:09 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Drunks tend to focus on, and often drive straight into, parked vehicles with flashing lights on them.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 25/01/2008 7:37 pm
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

I've been almost hit on a bike before, by older people every time. Some people are stupid, nothing to do with being teenagers.

I also find it odd that I need to be 17 to drive alone here, but at sixteen I can ride any motorcycle I want. A modern 600cc sportbike will spend all day pulling on ninety percent of cars you care to name.

EDIT: And I need no license at all to drive a snowmobile that runs 0-60 in 3 seconds, faster than pretty well any car.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

Posted : 25/01/2008 10:20 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've been almost hit on a bike before, by older people every time. Some people are stupid, nothing to do with being teenagers.

I also find it odd that I need to be 17 to drive alone here, but at sixteen I can ride any motorcycle I want. A modern 600cc sportbike will spend all day pulling on ninety percent of cars you care to name.

EDIT: And I need no license at all to drive a snowmobile that runs 0-60 in 3 seconds, faster than pretty well any car.

Not that anything you can do on a bike is failsafe, but I added two sets of lights to the front of mine. It looks like a Mack truck going down the road. People see me a lot earlier than they used too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/01/2008 3:32 am
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Not that anything you can do on a bike is failsafe, but I added two sets of lights to the front of mine. It looks like a Mack truck going down the road. People see me a lot earlier than they used too.

I'm usually only on the road ten minutes or so at a time on the way to a trail, never fails that some jackass almost hits me though. I don't run lights, or reflectors, because they're a liability on the trail and I only ride in the day anyway.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

Posted : 27/01/2008 2:13 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

A comparison by state: http://golocalnet.com/drivingage/

Interesting read.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 27/01/2008 10:53 pm
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

This is why the driving age should be 17 and a half or 18, a present for graduating High School perhaps. Funny I say this when I am a teenager, but it's the truth.

So sorry about your accident man. I hope you improve healthwise.

Posted : 29/01/2008 12:28 am
(@catski)

Sorry to hear you got hit, hope you're feeling okay!

I have to say, I'm nearly 21 and I feel in no way like I want to learn to drive. Intellectually I know I'm sensible, I have good spatial awareness and with enough lessons could be safe on the road, but the responsibility for the safety of others is something that freaks me out a little. Conversely, my younger brother's just starting driving and he's a total natural, comfortable behind the wheel and really aware of what's going on around him.

I'm not sure that it's an age thing. I get kind of offended when people make noises about young people driving, but as a young person myself, if I say that anyone over the age of 65 shouldn't be allowed on the road, I'm agist! It's totally about the person you are. I'm sticking to the bus until I'm grown up, ha ha.

Posted : 02/02/2008 4:11 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Glad you are Ok!

Here, the minimum age is 18. Currently some people are spoken if it could be reduced to 16 if there is an adult in the car, assisting to the young driver.

Posted : 03/02/2008 10:29 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm not sure that it's an age thing. I get kind of offended when people make noises about young people driving, but as a young person myself, if I say that anyone over the age of 65 shouldn't be allowed on the road, I'm agist!

I totally agree about old people, but I think 65 is a bit young for the cut off (you'll understand why when you're my age (slightly over 50)!). I think that everyone over the age of 70, though, should be required to take a test every year. Written and driving. There are too many older people on the road who shouldn't be. They drive too slow, their reflexes aren't what they should be, they get confused more easily, and there's always that little old man who's hat is the only thing visible above the steering wheel who insists upon driving in the fast lane even though he can't keep up with traffic and creates a major hazard on the freeways that he is totally oblivious to. And, some older people decline more quickly than others, so, one who is perfectly capable of driving this year, may not be capable next year.

IMHO! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 03/02/2008 4:49 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Drunks tend to focus on, and often drive straight into, parked vehicles with flashing lights on them.
The top front page headline in this morning's local paper is about a Virginia state trooper in critical condition in the ICU because a drunk drove into his cruiser as he was writing a ticket. :cry:

Posted : 03/02/2008 7:24 pm
(@catski)

I'm not sure that it's an age thing. I get kind of offended when people make noises about young people driving, but as a young person myself, if I say that anyone over the age of 65 shouldn't be allowed on the road, I'm agist!

I totally agree about old people, but I think 65 is a bit young for the cut off (you'll understand why when you're my age (slightly over 50)!). I think that everyone over the age of 70, though, should be required to take a test every year. Written and driving. There are too many older people on the road who shouldn't be. They drive too slow, their reflexes aren't what they should be, they get confused more easily, and there's always that little old man who's hat is the only thing visible above the steering wheel who insists upon driving in the fast lane even though he can't keep up with traffic and creates a major hazard on the freeways that he is totally oblivious to. And, some older people decline more quickly than others, so, one who is perfectly capable of driving this year, may not be capable next year.

IMHO! :D

I totally agree with you with the yearly tests. It seems like not only would that protect the other people on the road, and the drivers themselves, but it might also show up problems which would've gone unnoticed - Alzheimer's and what have you. Like you said, there are some pretty speedy declines amongst some old people. I just figure it'll never happen because it's seen as totally out of order to criticise the elderly about anything. "I've been driving since 1867, never been in a single accident..." etc.

65 is about the retirement age in the UK so it was the age that sprung to mind... I wasn't implying it was the point at which people become ancient and incapable, ha ha. [My 79-year-old grandmother has just developed a (hopefully) temporary back problem and for the first time in her life she's using a stick to get about the house. She was appalled when the doctor first suggested it - how dare he imply that she's an elderly person. I hope I have the same mentality in 58 years time :lol:]

Posted : 04/02/2008 11:01 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A new headline today is that the drunk who put the Virginia trooper in the ICU got out on bail, and 27 hours later got pulled over on multiple phone complaints of a drunk driver on the road. Stopped about 2 miles from where he crashed into the trooper, he was again intoxicated and in possession of a controlled substance. I think he's out on bail again.

This is the biggest threat out on the road, folks. Not youth or age.

Posted : 04/02/2008 1:31 pm
Page 2 / 3