Notifications
Clear all

the basics a little help needed

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@billy)
Topic starter

ive just bought an acoustic guitar and am teaching myself with the help of some friends and this site. i was just wondering do the notes have different names as you move down the guitar as the ones i have learnt are all at the neck or do they just have different noises

Posted : 24/09/2003 4:39 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

In western music there are just 12 notes, 7 natural notes (A, B, C, etc) and 5 so-called accidentals, the sharps and flats (A#, C#, fb, etc.)

You should note that sharps and flats are what are known as enharmonic names, that is different names for the same thing. A# is the same as Bb, C# is the same as Db.
There are two exceptions to this - B-C and E-F. These notes have no accidentals between the, so we get A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A (or using the enhatmonic names A, Bb, B, C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, Gb, G, Ab, A)

These notes repeat over the whole guitar neck, so that the note at the 12th fret is the same as the note on the open string, just one octave higher. If you have a guitar with 24 frets, that note will be the same as the open string but 2 octaves higher.

Somewhere on this site is a diagram with the layout of the entire fretboard, along with a huge amount of material for beginners.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 24/09/2003 5:02 pm
(@Anonymous)

I would like to see that layout greybeard...i'll have to dig around in the site to see if i can find it...if not can someone put a link in this thread?

Later  8)

Posted : 25/09/2003 9:58 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Check the FAQs (under Help above).

Here is the fretboard layout:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=129

-Laz

Posted : 25/09/2003 11:05 pm
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Laz  :)

Posted : 25/09/2003 11:37 pm