Skip to content
The day the music d...

Notifications
Clear all

The day the music died....50 years ago today.

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hard to believe, isn't it? February 3rd, 1959 - the plane carrying Buddy Holly, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Ritchie Valens crashed shortly after take-off, killing all three of them along with the pilot.

Richardson was the oldest of them; he was 29. Buddy was 22, and Ritchie just 17. One can only wonder how much more great music they'd have made between them had they lived, although fortunately Buddy had been so prolific recording that the record company had new material to release for years to come.

Fifty years on, and still remembered by millions - and admired by people who weren't even born way back then. Who was it who said rock'n'roll wouldn't last?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/02/2009 12:54 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

50 years. wow. their music hasn't gone away at all. doesn't seem that long ago. that fateful night.
rock and roll was in it's infancy. they were creating a whole new sound and beat.
a local non profit radio station here has been playing their music. the announcer added
interesting stories. imagine, they were a young touring band, just like any young touring band today.
town after town. playing stores and clubs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 03/02/2009 2:34 am
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Wow - wasn't even born then (just). Here in Sydney, the Buddy Holly musical has just started playing again, and the audience loves it. Great music never dies!

Posted : 03/02/2009 6:03 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I work for a CBS affiliate in Cincinnati, and they just ran a story about this, and there was barely mention of Big Bopper or Ritchie Valens, in fact they mentioned their names like an afterthought, and only once in the entire package. Kind of crazy.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 03/02/2009 8:01 am
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Apologies to anyone outside the UK for this but tomorrow night (Wednesday) on BBC4 is Buddy Holly night. There showing an arena documentry and the film the Buddy Holly story.

I wasn't aware of Buddy Holly until the late 70's when the Buddy Holly lives compilation album came out. Along with Punk and ska music this was one of my most listened to Lps at that time . A friend of mine bought another album "Rock on with Buddy" or something like that and it had Dearest on it . I had totally forgotten about that song untill last summer and my son and his friend were watching a film in the other room and that song was in the film. Thats now reminded me that I must look up the tab.

Words of love was one of the first songs I could strum along to.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 03/02/2009 10:04 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

50 years ago!

Hard to believe! When you hear his songs they sound so fresh and as relevant today as they were then. Lyrically and musically! As everybody says "what great things could he have achieved had he led a long life". Buddy was a true great and one of the first to stick his neck out and grab artistic control of his own material from the producers.

An inspiration to all popular musicians to come!!

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 03/02/2009 8:30 pm