Clear all

They Came, They Saw, They Jammed.....

55 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Okay, so I was going to say, "We came, we saw.....etc..etc" but, since it all happened at my abode, that wouldn't be grammatically correct, so...........

Vic, Dan, Laura and I have just spent the afternoon/early evening jamming. It was a delight, and I gotta be honest, I met some really superkewl people tonight. Seriously, it was a blast and the only downside was that it couldn't have lasted longer. :D

We played a whole bunch of tunes, mainly from the Riverside songbooks so kindly provided by Dan and Laura, including one of my favourite tunes, Angel From Montgomery (seriously, if you don't know it, google it NOW, its bloody brilliant! lol), and some Dave Hodge tunes and some of Kathy's tunes. 8) Nancy wass a particular delight for me - I'd checked Dave's webpage a while back for a tune he posted in SSG, and then left the site running through songs while I did other 'net stuff, and as the tune was suggested I was like, "uh...I'm fairly certain I've heard that one." No sooner had we counted it off than the memory of listening to it while checking my mail came drifting back in. Always a sign of a good tune, being able to recall it from one half-attentive listen.

Anyways, there are photos, and probs also more to say, but I'll leave others to get a word in, lol. Suffice it to say I had a great time. :mrgreen: Here's to more jams! :mrgreen:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 24/03/2008 8:40 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Wow! you did MY tunes? I'm honored. It's always great to get together and jam, but it's extra cool when you get to play with some fellow GNers!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 24/03/2008 9:42 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Very true....one I recall making a note of was the vampire tune from SSG a while back....y'know write a tune about vampires but don't use the word vampire? That was sooooooo much fun to play, really great tune!

I've just been strumming through some of the tunes we did with the book.

And we did The Band's The Weight....honestly, I've played hundreds of jam sessions in various forms and this is the first time I've jammed with people who actually knew how to play The Band's music. I was horribly ropey from not having the opportunity to play some of this stuff much, and from not knowing some of the tunes we played (lol, I must be getting old, there were a few squinting-at-chord-charts-craning-neck-closer-to-the-page moments for me, I'm sure the bi-focals are mere months aaway), but it was great fun in spite, or maybe bacause, of it..

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 24/03/2008 9:49 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"No Reflection On You" was the song of Kath's we did - Lobster Quadrille and Waiting For Nancy were two of DH's, I'm sure there was another one though! We played SOOOO many songs I lost track after a while.....although I remember Angel Of Montgomery, because I'd never HEARD the song before, much less played it - and Sara's mum asked for a repeat performance!

But yes, that was a fun afternoon, I got so carried away playing I never took any photos or video clips.... :cry:

I can see now why you all have such a blast at the Riverside Jams - just the material in the RJ songbook will keep me busy for a while!

And my fingers are SORE! And my voice - although I didn't do that much singing - has gone. Laura did most of the singing - man, can she belt a tune out! Dan's Mr Rock-steady beat - great to play with someone who knows what he's doing and how to keep time, makes it easy (well, easier!) for us mere mortals....

And Sara - hey, you're pretty good, you are! I loved that Little Wing you did - v. classy!

It would be nice if we could get a regular Merseyside jam going - the idea's been discussed before - after all Liverpool is the rock'n'roll capital of the world! (Well OK, it was in the 60's - but it still is to me!)

Anyway, Sara, thanks for having us - it really was a blast!

OK, I'm off to find Angel of Montgomery on youtube and learn it.....tell you what though, it's a pity we didn't get any video or audio of "The Weight" - that song rocked!

Ah well - there's always next time!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/03/2008 10:25 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I'll confess to not fully reading the lyrics to Lobster Quadrille on account of possibly needing bi-focals in the near-future (although, if I am getting short-sighted, I may be wrong on that count, too, cue drum fill), but Waiting For Nancy I recalled fomr his page and particularly enjoyed. Actually, I'm probs gonna jam along to the .mp3 at some too. Yeah, I do things like that. What? What?!? I really love the chorus and how it leads in.....

Anyways.....the vampire one.......No Reflection On You!! Like I said, seriously uber-kewl, no joke. Although I am tempted to order Coppola's Dracula on virginmedia, mute the thing and play that over the top at certain sections....would Kathy ind if I added in the "I've crossed oceans of time to find you" quote at some point?!? I could just watch the movie a lot until I know when the line is uttered and do a quick unmute-mute drop in kinda thing, but I do like to lead a healthy, normal life, in addition to my countess hours spent (a) playing guitar and (b) watching movies while often (a)ing on account of doing soundtrack stuff. I fear the whole sleep-guitar-eat-guitar-eat-guitar-eat-guitar-eat-guitar-sleep cycle might be slightly broken by doing that. :roll:

And I'm gonna be spending a LOT of time on youtube, I fear. I just flicked through that songbook and soooo many of those songs I have at best the barest of bare ideas of. I'll confess to having no clue who penned some of them. :oops:

But a great night, nonetheless, I truly loved it. And, if its not too, um, second-cousin-twice-removed of me to say, I feel kinda more of a part of GN for it, too. Like part of la familia, kinda. There. Said. Done. It was sweet, okay, now go find someone else to give those knowing looks to! :roll:

Edited due to my inability to correctly spell the word 'lobster.' Yes, I went to Oxford, but why would 'lobster' be a necessary term in politics exams? Unless we were referring to Maggie Thatcher....okay, point taken, my bad. :oops: :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 25/03/2008 1:17 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yes. "fomr" is a word. It being the Welsh for "from" and I being part-Welsh and therefore legitimately semiotically referring to my ancestors by said usage. And "ind' is merely the historical scouse pronunciation of "mind." Recorded usage dates dates back to middle england. Honestly. :roll:

And if you dispute that, I suggest you consult the Heineken dictionary. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 25/03/2008 1:23 am
(@davidhodge)

Glad to hear you all had a great time!

For the record, The Lobster Quadrille is a song I cowrote. The lyrics were by Lewis Carroll (at the time a guitar student of mine) who would later use them in his book Alice's Adventures In Wonderland.

Peace

Posted : 25/03/2008 1:35 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Glad to hear you all had a great time!

For the record, The Lobster Quadrille is a song I cowrote. The lyrics were by Lewis Carroll (at the time a guitar student of mine) who would later use them in his book Alice's Adventures In Wonderland.

Peace

Yes, I was told something to that effect. Must have involved David Lewis's paradoxes of time-travel though, I'm guessing. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 25/03/2008 1:37 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

So you guys got together? That is soooo cool! I wish I could do that! England huh.....ummmm ... I live in America and I live in the middle of nowhere too ... best I have done is a transient member or two within a couple of hours. :| :cry:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 25/03/2008 1:39 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I was told something to that effect. Must have involved David Lewis's paradoxes of time-travel though, I'm guessing.

Or Vic Lewis's moving finger paradox?

AKA - why in the **** **** won't those moving fingers move exactly where (that's the travel bit) and when (that's the time bit.....) I want them to move?

Those fingers are actually a bit tired - and a bit sore! - and it's 3am so I'm going to give them an early night, theyve got a lot to do tomorrow!

And TR - be assured, if any of us come to The Big Apple, you'll be #1 on the list of "New Yorkers who are bloody good guitarists who we could learn a lot from......" OK?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/03/2008 2:02 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

my fingers aren't sore, but I am bloody exhausted.

for the sake of accuracy, David Lewis, while writing some interesting stuff on time-travel, somehow manage to totally undermine his entire main thesis on parallel words in an attempt to pander to the science-fiction fans who'd got vaguely into his philosophy while drifting between star wars and illicits. and I'll stop there as I could easily go on to write an essay or 8, but would bore everyone (myself included) numb by doing so. suffice it to say it involves a harry potter movie, the idiocy of otherwise astute philosophers and way too many late-night I-have-a-tutorial-in-4-hours-and-I-haven't-even-started-the-reading-oh-where's-the-corkscrew moments.

and I am glad you went on to describe that one, maybe I am just way too tired, but my brain went a little left a the intro to ya last post.

and its 4.13am, not 3am. or 4 am(ish) by your last post. or is NLW on European time? :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 25/03/2008 2:13 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

'tis 3.19 here, and I'm off to bed - if I can remember where it is.......N-le-W time is usualy fairly close to GMT - allowing for the inevitable time/space vortex distortions when that bloody idiot in the Tardis wants to watch Clapton play tomorrow AND last year at the same time........and hopefully erase all memories of Billie Piper's short (and thankfully brief) music (?) career....

Ummm, did that actually make sense to anyone, cause it doesn't to me? I know what I meant to say, but it didn't come out right somehow....

Oh nevermind.............BED!

Vic

Posted : 25/03/2008 2:27 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

rofl.....I entered the time wrong on my computer. totally explains my sitting there last night going, "how did it get to be 4am? where did I put those three hours?!?"only just realised. :roll:

All I can say is (a) I'm amazed how coherent some of last night's posting was, no matter how off topic, and (b) Etta James should be prescribed on the NHS as a general cure-all.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 25/03/2008 8:46 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am with TR in feeling. sounds like we missed some great fun. my biggest thrill is jamming with friends. when a song pops out and every one has played it before something special happens. it is a rush; especially when a version of the original erupts. there is something unique and excellent about communicating with guitars and voice.
I live further inland than the NewYorker TR. someday it would be wonderful to meet, greet, and jam with you Englanders.

scrybe, let's see the photos.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 25/03/2008 11:05 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Sounds like a wonderful time!

I've had the pleasure of jamming with Dan and Laura a number of times
and always had a great time.

John

My SoundClick Page