Skip to content
Third time lucky? U...

Notifications
Clear all

Third time lucky? UK Get-together? 2008?

150 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
22.1 K Views
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

I'd be interested in tagging along.

Dont know how much I could contribute from a musical perspective (Keen beginner) but I can certainly hold my own when it comes to drinking beer, eating pizza and talking into the early hours :mrgreen:

Any time apart from April should be okay with me although the more notice I have of the date the easier it will be to arrange to be there.

I'm self sufficient in terms of guitars/amplification and could also bring a 4 track digital recorder along (Assuming I ever manage to work out how to drive the damm thing).

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 04/11/2007 8:21 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I'm in agreement with all thats been said.

If I'm travelling to Birmingham or if I'm traveling to Liverpool, it makes no difference. If your driving your driving, a few more miles is ok by me.

I should think a date needs to be set for the actually day so that a cut off date can be set for those that need accommodation.
I'm sure you can count me and Chris in for the new venue wherever that may be.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 04/11/2007 10:20 am
(@alangreen)

ok Vic - pick a town and let's see what we need to do to book a room over the top of a decent pub for the weekend. If they can do B&B so much the better, if not, we'll survive.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 04/11/2007 11:53 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Vic,

Don't get all stressed up over this mate!

Your area is fine with me and I wouldn't expect you to sort out somewhere for us all to stay or feed us. That is asking too much. I don't mind if it's only a few of us either at least it could be logged as the first ever GN British seminar and I'm sure we would all have a great time and learn a lot from each other.

I'm still on for this wherever it happens. What's a few extra miles anyway, it all adds to the experience. There are always "trains and boats and planes" and dare I say it cars.

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 04/11/2007 1:27 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd like to come, but I can't confirm anything so far in advance - working with customers makes life difficult to plan.

As for "where", it wouldn't make a lot of difference as long as it's within reach of a Euro-airport that services Lusthansa.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 04/11/2007 2:45 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't want to be a problem. I'm not sure if I can go. It depends on several things. Probably I will not play, I really think I'm not ready. But I'd like to meet with you and the others and speak with your in my poor level of English. As you said it is a good moment to put faces to names. And I'd like to watch how you play.

I like very much the idea. :D

Where. I'll have to fly from Madrid so... Are there trains there? If I go, probably I'll spend several days there so really it doesn't matter "where". I'd like to visit your city. And Anfield, of course! Simply I need to remember where I did put my passport...

Posted : 04/11/2007 10:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Give me a couple of days to do a little research.....I had a bright idea just now, need to see if it's feasible....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/11/2007 1:15 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I should be able to commit to a summer date (I'll repost if dates become unavailable).

My experience with PAs and guitar amps is that you mic the guitar amp and run the mic lead into the PA, in which case, amp size isn't as relevant since this can all be balanced on the PA mixer. You can also run line-out feeds from the amp to the mixer, but apparently this has an adverse effect on tone (e.g. when line out comes before the tubes on a tube amp, or effects built into the amp).

My only problem is the sad fact that I do not drive, so Ill have to get my gear there by train (unless we opt for the lovely city of Liverpool, lol). I'll definitely have a couple of mics and mic stands that could theoretically be used and maybe more - that just depends on travel logistics.

Oh, and I know a few drummers, but my ability to persuade them to join us will likely depend on their schedules and the location of the jam.

Since LVP has been mentioned a fair few times in this thread already I'll drop a few suggestions/tips:

** The Hanover Hotel/Pub is a well used live music venue (the hotel aspect is virtually non-existent, but its in the city centre with many hotels and B&Bs nearby and they have room to store some gear though you'll have to talk to the current owners about this when booking the place).

** Pogue Mahones is another live music venue in the city centre, with really cheap Guinness the last time I was there - again, hotels are walking distance away.

** If LVP does become the venue-city I'll do a bit more research on bars, hotels, etc, since I can easily do that while in town. One thing to bear in mind is this whole Capital of Culture 2008 thing - it might mean there's lots of fun stuff on, deals on hotels, etc, but it might also make it difficult to book a bar to play in if they already have lots of events planned.

** Nuno, et al, - the John Lennon airport is about 20-30 mins from the city centre and flies all around the world,so you should be able to book tickets straight to Liverpool. That said, you could also fly into Manchester and then commute across. There are trains going from LVP to Manchester, Birmingham, London and (I believe) also Edinburgh. And you can get pretty much anywhere else fairly easily from these trains.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 09/11/2007 1:53 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey, that would be cool! You all just need to set it up. Too far for me to fly, though.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 13/11/2007 7:02 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Vic,
Seems like you already have re-enforcements up there in the fair city of Liverpool in the shape of "Scrybe"
You know this could all just happen for real in 2008.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 14/11/2007 8:37 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I was actually looking at this place.....

http://www.kirkfieldhotel.co.uk/index.html

It's literally two minutes walk from Newton Railway Station, which is on the main Liverpool/Manchester line - and it's very easy to get to , and very close to, the M6 and M62 motorways.

Thought I might check it out tomorrow or Friday, have a look around.....but let me know what you think, anyway.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/11/2007 10:48 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Vic, the hotel seems very nice! The rooms seem clean and comfortable. It also has good prices.

Thanks.

Posted : 14/11/2007 11:13 pm
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Hi Vic

Ive seen that place, it looks ideal - handy for me too! :)

Though Ive not played much these last few weeks and probably wont be back in the saddle until after Xmas :( so I could be rusty even next year.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 15/11/2007 4:50 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It's too far ahead for me to have any idea if I'd be able to make it or not, but I'd love to - put me down as a definately maybe :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 16/11/2007 12:04 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's too far ahead for me to have any idea if I'd be able to make it or not, but I'd love to - put me down as a definately maybe :)

Cool, Misanthrope. I know it'd be a bit of a hike for you, but maybe if you could rope Chuckster and a couple of the other South-coasters in, it wouldn't be too bad - and if (fingers {and everything else!} crossed) all goes well, maybe a southern get-together next year?....ummm....make that the year after.....

Vic

Posted : 16/11/2007 1:22 am
Page 2 / 10