Skip to content
Third time lucky? U...

Notifications
Clear all

Third time lucky? UK Get-together? 2008?

150 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
22.1 K Views
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Anything still happening? I'm up for it, preferably close to an airport or someplace I can easily get from an airport. Or newcastle and I'll come by boat.

Posted : 03/01/2008 4:12 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Hevnt read the whole topic, just the first and last pages. I am well up for it, and birmingham sounds great! But i just wanna ask that the date will be after the 20th of august, as that is my 18th birthday which means my parents would be more likely to let me go, well they couldnt stop me, and also im legal to drink then, not saying that i wouldnt as a 17 year old.

As for gear, id probably be bringing My BC Rich Warlock bronze editon, Encore Electrostick (Electro Acoustic, i wanna coin that electrostick word) and a 25W BC Rich Practice amp! Hopefully that would be adaquate, i could bring a 10w Yamaha Practice amp aswell as a backup or a spare for someone, but the sound quality through that isnt that good.

As i am a beginner, the learning songs sounds fun, but to be honest, im not sure if im skilled enough, unless it is in basic power chords, then i could play it straight away, but i suppose if it is a bit harder for me it would give me some drive to teach myself something to a degree of proffesional-ness rather than just a quick, wham bam thankyou mam job of learning something. But yeah, i still think birmingham is favourite, unless you guys fancy a treck up to liverpool, with it being capital of culture and all, what better place for a bunch of guitarists to meet. Plus there is a lot of cheap places to stay in liverpool, i mean i could stay at home in southport and get the train into liverpool both days, and there is a travel inn in the City center that will more than likely let out a room for a weekend.

If this actually goes ahead, ill tell you now. I will expect to come along as a beginner and get a lot out of this meeting! I look forward to the final plans, PM me with them and ill check this thread too, but PM me just incase i miss it.

Cheers Guys

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 11/01/2008 2:31 pm
(@heyesie)
Trusted Member

Can't we keep this post sticky to the top of the forum
Or at least keep updating it
I would be up for it
But would rather let you know nearer the time

Many are called but few are chosen.

Posted : 12/01/2008 12:42 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't think it's really important who's up for it anymore, what matters is who's up for organizing it. I can't because it's pointless to organize the UK-get-together from the Netherlands. If noone can or wants to do it then it wont happen, like last few years.

Posted : 12/01/2008 12:58 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I would love to organise it, but the problem with that is that would have to be in the north west, liverpool or southport, another problem, who is really going to take a 17 year old trying to organise an event seriously, i think it would need someone with a bit more maturity and authoritaveness to do it... or atleast help me, at the moment i have my church as a possible venue, if i can clear it with the leadership team and get a date i will let you know, and my church has a £15,000 PA System, but amps will still be needed but we can run through that aswell if i can get one of the PA guys to come and cable monkey and sort out the desk, ther're very protective over their equipment!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 12/01/2008 2:53 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I've been horribly absent from the last couple of pages of this thread....let's see how much I can contribute from a quick read-through.....

@Ignar - if B'ham you can get a flight into B'ham arport. If Liverpool the same but John Lennon Airport LVP instead. Newton (Vic's place) is, to the best of my LVP knowledge a short train journey from LVP and I'd happily meet up with you in LVP and get the train across if that cuts/reduces the hassle.

If ppl want me to do some more scouting around LVP for venues and get more definite info on it, I can, but the two suggestions so far (B'ham and Newton) are also good with me - hell, I've dragged my guitars over most of the country, so abrief train ride is hardly something I can complain about! :lol:

@ Southport newbie guitar dude - firstly, apologies for totally blanking on your name while writing this :oops: but as for being a newbie, don't worry - my first 'gig' was aged 14 having been playing for about a year, when drunk on Bacardi Breezer :roll: at a family friend's blues gig, he dragged me up to 'improv a solo' :oops: :oops: suffice it to say I survived, and I got better, and although it wasn't v. painful it did ease my nerves on future jams of any sort since I'd already experienced 'trial by fire' so to speak. also, as I mentioned on another thread, me and my mates do a lot of jam nights in and around Liverpool, so if you want some playing experience, come down and have a listen and erform if you want to (don't worry, I refuse to 'surprise' someone by announcing they're gonna play unless they've already stated they want to). oh, and don't worry about sounding 'hot' at a jam - the whole point of jams is to learn how to be 'hot'.

Now, gear.........(disclaimer alert)...........this may or may not go as planned, but by an early summer jam, I should be able to contribute around 4 or 5 mics at least to the shebang, with about 3 of them being vocal mics (the others will be Shure SM57s, but better than nothing, I suppose, and maybe useful depending on PA setup) and the possibility of more vox mics (like 1-2). I'll probs bring my electric and my (soon to be acquired) fender blues jr, unless I turn into a real girly wuss and just bring guitar. :mrgreen:

And now back to venues..........one thing I can pretty much guarantee is that an LVP jam would have some decent drummers and bassists who'd be around for at least part of the do, if not most of it.

Dates wise - count me out in late march (think its the 26th) when Van Morrison is playing in Oxford. :oops: It's not that I don't like you guys....I just like Van better. :roll: :wink:

mkay, think that covers everything I meant to say. I'll check the thread as it updates.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 13/01/2008 6:37 pm
(@heyesie)
Trusted Member

Scrybe
Where abouts in Liverpool do you Jam
I'm from Liverpool myself

Many are called but few are chosen.

Posted : 13/01/2008 7:54 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Lol, the city centre mostly but as far out as St Helens and places. See the other thread re N West/Merseyside jamming - I'm Childwall based too. :lol: :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 13/01/2008 9:25 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

The names david mate!

Im happy with liverpool as its only a short train away from southport! and id be up for any weekend dates, gotta fit it in round college see, but still i can try get my church with an awesome PA system for use in southport! Oh an please scrybe, pm me with the date and location of your next few nights and ill try get to one to listen and check you out.

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 13/01/2008 9:57 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Kewl, kewl....there's usually a jam on at Hannah's Bar on Hardman Street of a Friday run by my mate Roy - kicks off around 10pm til around 1am and its acoustic (there'll be two guitars there, so you needn't worry about bringing one unless you have a fave axe). If you don't sing, I can PM you some song titles Roy knows so you can perform with him singing. I'm usually there but might not make this week as I'm quitting smoking and may well be in awfully foul mood. I'll PM you about any more dates as and when I get info on them (often a few day's notice, knowing most bars' organisational skills).

What styles of music are you into?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 13/01/2008 10:05 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I dont know if im going to be able to make that any time soon, but i might be able to bob on down sometme in the summer, college work is getting done, and my whole Uni application thing, so i probably cant go untill summer, or easter holidays. But i might not play when im at thge first few, then i might get the courage to sing and play after a while.

As for the types of music im into, i really am into a bit of everything. My favourite band at the moment are a group called Thousand Foot Krutch, they're a Nu-Metal/Punk(sort of) band. Closely followed by relient k(pop punk) then anberlin (Genral Rock). But im also into the heavier sort of hip-hop, the only music i really cant stand is "Gangsta-Rap- BRAAAPPP" and the screamo stuff you cant tell what there saying, and the HARDCORE club stuff. Other than that, i like a bit of everything.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 14/01/2008 7:05 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've been horribly absent from the last couple of pages of this thread

Ummm.....I've just been horribly absent, had to take a little time out to sort out the totally screwed-up mess my life (yes, I do have one {sort of!} outside of GN....) had become....now that things are (at least temporarily) a bit less wobbly, hopefully we can sort something out.

My suggestion for N-le-Willows was because Liverpool is going to be horrendously difficult to arrange anything for, what with it being European Capital of Culture in 2008 (funny - I thought Liverpool was at least the European Capital of Music and Football, and had been since the 60's?)

As I mentioned earlier, the Hotel I suggested not only has quite a few rooms, but a function room where we could actually get down and play - that'd save lugging amps & guitars from B&B to venue, and if there are a few people attending, we might get a discount......anyway, I'll have a chat with the landlord later this week, see what we can come up with. Newton's very easy to get to by car (very close to the M6, M62 and A580 - that's the East Lancs road, runs from Liverpool to Manchester.) or by train - Newton-le-Willows station is on the main line running from Liverpool to Manchester, and the Hotel's 5 minutes walk from the Station.

Hello to David Watts - now there's a rock'n'roll name! (Wish I could be like David Watts - written by Ray Davies for the Kinks in the 60's and covered by the Jam in the late 70's!) - Southport sounds OK-ish, but would you be able to arrange B&B accomodation near the proposed venue?

Anyway, what I need to know is;

Who's still interested?

Is Newton-le-Willows a good choice of venue?

WHEN? I'll stick my hat in the ring with Wattsie and say August is good - it'll give plenty of time to arrange everything, if indeed its actually me that has to arrange everything.

Any chance of a show of hands? Let me know your preferred venue, if you think August's good (or earlier or later) and anything else you can think of.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/01/2008 11:27 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm still defo interested, and August is god. I'm not fussed on venues (listening to the blues inspired a penchant for travelling :wink: ). I'm pretty sure I posted what gear I should be able to supply, and if its NLW, I might be able to arrange a lift with some fellow muso's meaning I could supply more gear, like amp(s), etc. If not, it'll be what I can carry.

Vic - if you want me to (a) check LVP venues for August or (b) organise direction info for anyone getting to NLW from, say, a Liverpool airport, PM and I'll get on to it.

Glad to see ya back on the boards, and I hope everything's going aight for you now.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 17/01/2008 11:38 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome back Vic, hope it all sorts itself for you... this real life thing's a pain, ain't it? :(

I'll bite the bullet and kick this 'hopefully' lark to the curb - I'll definitely come, and then arrange the rest of the hecticness/cashflow around it :mrgreen:

August is fine by me, and I think your venue sounds like the best (having everything in one place will make all the difference).

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 17/01/2008 11:51 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Vic - The Kinks predicted my forecoming lol! I love that song, FA FA FA FA FA FA FA FA!

Anyway, NLW would be good, if i could either get directions or a lift from anyone zooming through southport to get there, i will probably have passed my driving test by august so i should be able to sat nav myself there!

Anyway, as for time, august is favourite for me, but late august, after the 20th (My 18th Birthday) , i dont wanna be the only one who cant drink because of being a minor lol. But this is defiantley going down.

As for the southport venue, if my church is willing, gear could be left safely in the church and there is hundreds of B&Bs and hotels around southport with it being on the sea and stuff so accomadation shouldnt be too hard.

Still NLW seems to be favourite so i will go along with anything. Lets get this up and going!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 18/01/2008 10:42 am
Page 4 / 10