Skip to content
Third time lucky? U...

Notifications
Clear all

Third time lucky? UK Get-together? 2008?

150 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
22.1 K Views
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Dont go mad with it like, a few pints will do me fine!

Really lookin forward to it now, it will be dead benificial for my playing, hangin with a load of more experienced guitarists. Is there a train to NLW or will i have to get a lift?

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

Posted : 25/01/2008 3:47 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dont go mad with it like, a few pints will do me fine!

Really lookin forward to it now, it will be dead benificial for my playing, hangin with a load of more experienced guitarists. Is there a train to NLW or will i have to get a lift?

David

Easiest way from Southport would either be via Liverpool Lime Street - N-le-W is on the Liverpool/Manchester line - or via Warrington. I'll look it up for you, but it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/01/2008 4:15 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Right, southport to liverpool central, single, 4 quid then lime street to NLW, is it closer than st helens, if it is it will be less than 4 quid, if not maybe a bit more, but around a tenner for travel shouldnt be bad. Someone would have to meet me at the station like, id have two guitars and an amp with me lol!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 26/01/2008 8:45 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

St Helens Junction, then Earlestown, then N-le-W.....I'll meet you at the station, give you a hand with your gear. I'll PM you my mobile number nearer the time...

Station's literally 2-3 minutes walk from the hotel - it is uphill though!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/01/2008 1:59 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

By St Helens Junction do you mean that i need to change at St Helens, or is that the name of the station, anyway still should only be about a tenner for travel wich isnt too bad. Just spoke with my dad about this yesterday and im definatley coming now!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 27/01/2008 8:42 am
(@alangreen)

Vic,

Those of us Sat Nav-ing our way in will just need some postcodes. Nearer the date will be fine.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 27/01/2008 9:24 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

St Helens Junction is a station in its own right, and a station in the deadest place I think I've ever been. I think it'll be less than 4quid, estimated by the last time I ever had cause to go to St H Junction. I can meet you at Lime St and give you a hand with one of the guitars, as I'll probs only be taking a guitar, a couple of pedals and a couple of mics.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 27/01/2008 11:50 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Aug 15th? Aaaah I might be able to make it after all - depending on A LOT OF THINGS (baby due early June, divorce going through etc. fun times ahead).

It should give me a break from the sleepless nights and meeting you all might be all I need to cheer me up!

If I can make it, I'm not quite sure what my contribution can be? I only started playing in August last year, I don't know a lot at all, and I only have a cheap guitar and minuscule amp that probably aren't worth bringing along... I'm quite happy just being a spectator though, like I said before.

If I do come, I'm likely to drive from West Berkshire, so I'm quite happy to pick up on the way if it can help - as long as they don't mind 'being a passenger on the wrong side of the road (I drive a French registered left-hand drive).

Posted : 27/01/2008 1:15 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

St Helens Junction is a station in its own right, and a station in the deadest place I think I've ever been. I think it'll be less than 4quid, estimated by the last time I ever had cause to go to St H Junction. I can meet you at Lime St and give you a hand with one of the guitars, as I'll probs only be taking a guitar, a couple of pedals and a couple of mics.

Thats great, ill slip you my mobile number nearer the time and we shall meet at lime street, i might be bringing a friend along, the lead guitarist from our band, he has been on this site but never registered in the forums, tryin to get him to register though, so he might be posting sometime soon!

I really cant wait for this now, spending a weekend with a load of more experienced guitarists can only be beneficial. I might feel slightly inadequate to begin with but after a few pointers and gettin into the groove i shall be fine!

Well up for it!

David

PS: Isabelle, ill be cracking out my best jokes just for you! Cheer you up a bit!

*Looks Worried* Best learn some good jokes before august!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 27/01/2008 3:23 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OK, I'll do some checking tomorrow - find out about available dates, rooms, etc.

*Looks worried" I better learn some good SONGS before August!

Vic

Posted : 27/01/2008 3:54 pm
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

*Looks worried" I better learn some good SONGS before August!

Vic

Read my mind Vic, when i edited in the jokes part i must have forgot to add this part in :roll:
Oh well!
Best get learning!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

Posted : 27/01/2008 9:43 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

We ought to all throw together lists of songs we know/would like to do, see if we can't russle up some overlap to swat up on :mrgreen: Might be a little early though, maybe closer to the time?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 27/01/2008 10:01 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

We ought to all throw together lists of songs we know/would like to do, see if we can't russle up some overlap to swat up on :mrgreen: Might be a little early though, maybe closer to the time?

Good idea - with a link to tabs? There are plenty of good songs in the Easy Song Database......and no, it's NEVER too early. It's almost February now - soon the clocks'll go forward, then it'll be Summer (I live in hope!) then it'll be "OH MY GAWD it's a week to the get-together and I still don't know Horse With No Name!"

For the most part, I reckon keeping it simple would be a good idea...like for instance, "Stand By Me" - G, Em, C and D. Or some of David's lessons - like Nowhere Man, for example, then we'll all be on the same wavelength!

Feel free to post any ideas......

Vic

Posted : 27/01/2008 10:38 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

um, I'm generally okay with any Hendrix and I can busk a bunch of blues and a wee bit of jazz (emphasis on the wee bit - hey, how many scottish jazzers do YOU know? lol). um, thinks a bit, and a bunch of clapton stuff. and, um, some nirvana. I can certainly busk stand by me. and I know the riff to a metallica tune (just wish I could remember which one). okay, anything which is beyond the scope of those tunes, just post here or PM me and I'll be sure to take a listen and make any necessary notes before the date of this get together.

Vic - I'll probs PM you closer the time. I'm not sure what gear I'll have in August, but depending on the situation, I could drop things at yours the week before or so if we need any extra e.g. amps, guitars, mics, etc.

addendum - I think it'd be good if we all make sure we know at least one blues (all in the same key guys) to fall back on if stuck. and what are we doing for drums n bass? I'm no bass player, but I can hold down the ba-bomm-be-boom root notes with occasional fill. I could ask a couple of LVP guys who are drummers n bassists respectively, but will only know closer the time if they can make it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 28/01/2008 1:48 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

There's at least a couple of us who can play bass to an average standard, so that's one problem sorted. As for drums, I dunno - I do have a programmable drum section on my keyboard with a LOT of different rhythms, and it's easily connected to an amp. That'd do in a pinch, if we can't find a human drummer.

I suggest we all pitch in with songs we'd like to do, and if we can maybe get four/five people involved in each one....

Blues jams are a good idea - everyone pitches in, and take it in turns to solo! Or carry on playing rhythm if you're that way inclined....

It might involve some of us recording backing tracks - ie rhythm guitar - and sending them to other people to play over for practise?

Anyway, keep those ideas coming......

Vic

Posted : 28/01/2008 2:21 am
Page 7 / 10