Clear all

Time to let the cat out of the bag...

50 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
34.9 K Views
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Great news. I hope you are happy and wish ya'll much success.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 16/08/2008 9:32 pm
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Best wishes on your new venture.

PS -Any jobs going? :D

Posted : 16/08/2008 9:59 pm
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Good news and I hope all goes well for you. Looking forward to a branch in Katoomba, Australia! :wink:

( PS Bought your 'Music Theory for Guitarists' last week - great stuff.)

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

Posted : 16/08/2008 10:45 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

PS -Any jobs going?

If I was Noteboat, I'd snap you up in a heartbeat.....most of the theory I've learned is from NB, the rest of it is from you, and a couple of other people. The pair of you are always ready with a quick reply, and it's always broken down into small pieces so's an idiot like me can understand it. I know I've thanked you both before, but you really are two of the finest assets any guitar forum could wish to have on its memberlist, and as we've got you both, we're doubly blessed!

So thank you both again (and anyone else who's ever replied to mine, and anyone else's, fumbling questions) for your time, your patience, and your just general being-there-for-us-when-we-needed-youfulness!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/08/2008 10:50 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Great news, Noteboat.

You're in your own realm there!

Congratulations! :note2:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 16/08/2008 10:59 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great news NoteBoat. Congratulations and all the very best with the new venture. :D

There's always a big need for well run places, along the lines that you're following. I know how meticulous and efficent you are - so I'm sure it will be very successful.

By a curious coincidence I spent some time last week checking out local real estate to see if there was anywhere suitable for a similar venture in our area. My good friend and fellow band member currently has a shop with just 3 tiny rooms where lessons take place, but it's all a bit rough and ready. There's also clearly enough demand to support a much bigger enterprise. Ideally it would have been good to find somewhere that would have combined rooms for sound independent teaching, plus a space that could be used for joint student performances/jams/recitals or whatever. There was also the possibility of being able to do other sidelines such as providing space to rent for band practices.

But dreaming up the ideas and putting a workable business together are two different animals... :wink: I don't think that my friend has quite the organisational or financial muscle to pull it all together at this stage. So let us know when you're ready to expand into West Australia. :mrgreen: :note1: :note2: :note1:

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 16/08/2008 11:32 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

sounds great congrats 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 17/08/2008 1:47 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks folks!

Fretsource - maybe when we expand :) Right now it's already a scheduling puzzle... more teachers than studios, parents wanting multiple kids to take lessons at the same time, etc. So I'm not planning on adding more staff until after I add more studios, and it'll probably take close to a year before I have the enrollment to afford (and need) that.

Chris, it all starts with an idea... I started looking at locations about two years ago. I didn't think I had the financial muscle either, but somehow circumstances kept lining up in my favor. My advice on going from plan to reality, though, would be to do one thing at a time... get the group classes going before adding space rentals, and so on. Otherwise it's too easy to get sidetracked. If you devote your energy to one possibility at a time, I think it's easier to keep focused.

Nick, I'm thinking Saturday November 1st. I'll know within the next couple of weeks if that's realistic. Plainfield is a suburb of Joliet, but it's best to fly into Chicago; Joliet's Regional airport is just one runway. But if you fly into Chicago Midway, it's a straight shot out I-55 to the school. Anyone else up for a jam?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 17/08/2008 3:46 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, you've got the experience, technical expertise and the experience of writing and marketing a book on the subject as well. I bet it's a rousing success.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/08/2008 4:57 am
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Fretsource - maybe when we expand :) Right now it's already a scheduling puzzle... more teachers than studios, parents wanting multiple kids to take lessons at the same time, etc. So I'm not planning on adding more staff until after I add more studios, and it'll probably take close to a year before I have the enrollment to afford (and need) that.

I was thinking more along the lines of chief coffee/tea maker. But now armed with Vic's glowing reference, (Thanks Vic) I'll see if Berklee wants me for that post :D

My friend had a similar venture years ago. 10 teachers - 6 studios. He managed to time share quite successfully but ended up teaching less himself in order to keep things running smoothly. I hope you won't fall into that trap.

Posted : 17/08/2008 12:52 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I was thinking more along the lines of chief coffee/tea maker. But now armed with Vic's glowing reference, (Thanks Vic) I'll see if Berklee wants me for that post :D
If they need more opinions, you can also tell them mine. It is more or less the same that Vic's one. I like very much the way you always explain every thing. You have a way to do it that the harder things seem very easy.

And Scotland is nearer than the States from here... And always I've wanted to go to Scotland... Perhaps I could go via Newton-le-Willows and have a beer or an isotonic drink with Vic... It seems very interesting! :wink:

Posted : 17/08/2008 1:11 pm
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Really good news..Good luck Tom!!

Posted : 17/08/2008 2:29 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Fretsource, my wife suggested providing free coffee... but I've decided against that, because I've got too much invested in electronics. I figure eventually somebody would set a cup down on top of an amp or digital piano, and I'm not seeing a lot of good things coming out of what might happen next.

I'm already getting prepared to teach a bit less so I can put more time into marketing/outreach/management. But the flip side is I'll be teaching differently - reaching students indirectly by mentoring other teachers. That's a whole new role for me, and one I'm starting to get pretty excited about!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 17/08/2008 3:19 pm
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I'm already getting prepared to teach a bit less so I can put more time into marketing/outreach/management. But the flip side is I'll be teaching differently - reaching students indirectly by mentoring other teachers. That's a whole new role for me, and one I'm starting to get pretty excited about!

I'd suggest you should start doing some quick youtube videos in which you and your staff do some quick lessons, or you can show your studios, etc.... Jimmy Bruno has made a lucrative online jazz academy mostly by showing youtube videos.

just my two cents

Posted : 17/08/2008 6:45 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

My friend had a similar venture years ago. 10 teachers - 6 studios. He managed to time share quite successfully but ended up teaching less himself in order to keep things running smoothly.

Getting the times balanced does seem to be quite a big issue.

Around here, the biggest market for lessons seems to be kids, and that usually means they all want the lessons at the same time - after school. Adult beginners also often want a lesson after work, or on a Saturday. So there's a lot of empty rooms during 'normal' working hours, and then a big crush of students trying to grab peak time slots. Offering cheaper 'off peak' rates is one possibility, to try and lure in a few retirees or people who can take time off school or work, but juggling the needs of teachers and students can be quite a business.

What hours will you be running NoteBoat? Can you keep the rooms working during the mornings or middle of the day, or will it be mostly late afternoon and evening?

Chris

Posted : 17/08/2008 9:48 pm
Page 2 / 4