Clear all

Tips from teachers

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It seems I entered the arena of guitar teacher last night. My soon to be stepson, who is 10, got a short scale acoustic for Christmas. We sat down last night and I showed him how to tune it and how to play A, D and E chord. With his personality, I think he'll learn best with a structured lesson plan and regular "classes." We decided to have "class" on Sundays and Tuesdays, with him practicing between. Of course, it's not like I won't be sitting right there while he practices, but I don't want to overwhelm him by showing him bits and pieces every day. It will help me to have a structured plan too, because I tend to ramble and lose track of what I was even going to teach. I am by no means a guitar teacher, but I want to get his foundation built and then he can take off on his own.

My question is, do you experienced teachers have any tips for how to progress through the basics? My plan was to introduce him to all the open chords a few at a time, then go back and cover each one in more detail and work on moving from one to the other. Since we are going to have 2 sessions per week, I figured the first would review last weeks material and the 2nd would introduce new material.

I thought I would show him G, C and F next week. Any easy song tips using those chords? I showed him Wild Thing using A, D and E.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 20/01/2010 4:24 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

jw - why don't you buy a method book and use that as a guide and add or omit material you think is relevant?

It will help you be alittle more organized as you've never taught guitar before I assume. No sense reinventing the wheel there have to be some out there that are good.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 20/01/2010 5:08 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Probably a good idea. I pulled out my old Mel Bay Guitar Chords book last night to help him remember which finger goes where. I'm going to peruse the lessons here on GN too.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 20/01/2010 8:24 pm
(@alangreen)

Throw in some melody work too. Kids that age learn it quite quickly

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 20/01/2010 10:00 pm
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Going through the Guitar.about.com beginner lessons with him would be good I think. That is what I started with and learned the open chords and a few scales pretty easily with it. Once the basics are down, you can try something else, but guitar.about.com puts the beginning stuff pretty nicely. Gives you a little structure to go over with him.

Posted : 20/01/2010 11:48 pm