Clear all

Twist of Fate- Rider's Cafe this Friday 7/20/07

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Twist of Fate will be performing at Rider's Cafe in Waterbury this Friday, July 20th. This will be our last gig with Lee our singer, so come on out, as we may be out of commission for awhile until we replace him.

Here is an ad that shows the club and directions to get there.

http://www.ctbikersguide.com/restaurants/riderscafe.php

Come out for some fun, we are gonna cut loose for this show. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 17/07/2007 12:32 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wes, get lots of pics and some vids!!!!

Good luck with the farewell gig. :D :( :D :x :D 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/07/2007 12:37 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

How was it? Got some details? How long do you think it will take to get a new singer?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 28/07/2007 11:49 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Alright, I have been putting this off, because the band was really excited about this show and came away very disappointed.

We showed up around 8:00 to set up. There was a pretty nice crowd. They were playing lots of Classic Rock on the sound system, that is always a good sign for us. This is the type of place that digs our kind of music.

Around 9:15 we go on. Right away the owner comes up and says we are too loud. Sheesh. Honestly, we were playing at very low levels. We have played at much higher volume in much smaller clubs and they loved it. I dunno, they had quite a few older patrons (60+) in the crowd, and they were complaining they couldn't talk. Honestly, we weren't loud at all.

So, right off the bat they knocked a lot of spirit out of us. We turned down to an amazingly quiet level and finished the set. I play my stereo at home louder than we were playing. The music they were playing on the house system was far louder than we were playing. We were joking and asking our drummer if he had any brushes he could play with. :roll:

So this is a big biker club, I think I saw 5 bikers there. I saw about 30 old timers drinking Shirley Temples or whatever they drink, Geritol and Rum, who knows??

It got a little better around 11:30, quite a few young people came in. The place got pretty lively for awhile and they really enjoyed the music. But most of these people cleared out early. The 3rd set we played to maybe 30 people tops. We purposely turned our amps down super low the 3rd set just because we were a little ticked. It was comical almost.

So that's it. We were hoping for a huge biker crowd, hoping the place would be a little wild and we could crank it up. Turned out to be the Lawrence Welk show. :roll:

Oh well, that's Rock N Roll.

We do have a new singer now, a great looking chick, 28 years old. She can't sing as well as Lee, but she is a thousand times better looking. We are thinking of revamping all our songs and doing a lot of chick numbers. We are already practicing Barracuda. :twisted:

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 02/08/2007 11:57 pm
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I know how you feel , Wes . I have a three piece band : guitar , bass and drums . We always set our stage sound to the volume of our drummer . In some venues the drums all by themselves are too loud . What can you do ? What we do is not play there again . We are in it for the fun and as a rock/party band we have to be able to enjoy ourselves when we play . If we don't enjoy ourselves we don't play there again .

Bar owners in small establishments who hire bands that have a drummer in them have to know that there is going to be loud music . Most people who like our kind of music like it LOUD ! By that I mean , at a volume where they can get up and dance and feel the bass drum . Fortunately , there are plenty of places to play where the owner knows that those sixty-year olds aren't going to buy as many drinks as the younger crowd and won't be sticking around very late anyway .

Like the saying goes , " If my music's too loud , you're too old !"

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 03/08/2007 5:19 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Diceman

I agree completely. Our drummer is a ROCK drummer. He is a hard hitter by nature, but he has really learned to play with dynamics and can keep it down. He has a very snappy kit, so even when he plays easy it is kinda loud. And we also adjust the volume according to the drums.

This is not a new problem for us. When I joined this band 3 years ago they were horribly loud (and I like loud music). They had been kicked out of clubs mid-gig. We worked hard on this and now play at sane levels. We do get good and loud at times if there is a good crowd and the place is Rockin'. It is a feel thing, you know the times to crank it up. At this club we started out at a very acceptable volume level, just loud enough to feel the music as you said. Rock simply does not sound right at super low volumes, loses all it's feel. It's like my brother always said,

ITS' ROCK & ROLL, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE LOUD!

And he is right. :evil:

Man, I have been in clubs where you had to shout in the person's ear next to you and you still couldn't hear each other. We weren't playing anything like that, haven't for ages now.

Oh well, at least some young folks came in later on and we were able to Rock. And they really enjoyed it too.

Posted : 03/08/2007 8:30 pm
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Wes sorry to hear that you were bummed about your last gig with Lee, Rock don't cut it at elevator music levels. When my wife goes out up goes the volume on my EVJ and later it's "what dear I can't hear you" my ears are still ringing. Sounds like you got a good replacement for Lee, did you say she was 1000 better looking or can sing 1000 times better (g)
Robbie

Posted : 04/08/2007 3:08 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Good you got a pretty girl singer. You can hit off notes and nobody will notice!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 04/08/2007 4:23 am