Clear all

Where Did The Guitar Tabs Go?

214 Posts
56 Users
0 Likes
62.4 K Views
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The beauty of the internet is people all over the world sharing knowlege and ideas. It suddenly aint so beautiful anymore. The powers that be want a world of mindless My Spacers and Tweeters! :x

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 22/02/2010 1:51 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I had a post typed and the interzwebz ate it. :evil: That'll teach me to do a copy first. Here goes again.

I once read that the managers of clubs where cover bands play are supposed to pay a fee to the holders of the copyrights of the songs the bands play. I don't know how true that is, and if true, how often it's done. And what about a band that plays at a private venue like a wedding, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, company picnic or party, etc.? What if I got up at my friend's daughter's wedding to perform an acoustic solo of Stand By Me? Would we have to pay a royaty to Ben E. King? I know that in that case it's pure entertainment and no one is making money from my performance, as compared to probably being paid for the other venues. I think therein lies the problem... making money from copyrighted material. But in the end it's still a slippery slope. Where does it end, and what are the conditions and regulations?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 22/02/2010 2:31 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it's true. Club owners pay ASCAP and BMI - and compliance is pretty high; they have undercover people who go to venues and see what's being played (I was once playing in a cover band in a bar, and we had to stop while the owner settled up with the representative who'd come in!)

I'd guess wedding venues are also on the radar of the rights agencies. And other stuff you wouldn't even think of - if the restaurant has the radio playing, they're supposed to pay - and some have been sued (successfully) for not doing so.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 22/02/2010 2:35 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Yes, it's true. Club owners pay ASCAP and BMI - and compliance is pretty high; they have undercover people who go to venues and see what's being played (I was once playing in a cover band in a bar, and we had to stop while the owner settled up with the representative who'd come in!)

Hmm... the КГБ (KGB) thing sounds outrageous enough to be true. :lol:
I'd guess wedding venues are also on the radar of the rights agencies. And other stuff you wouldn't even think of - if the restaurant has the radio playing, they're supposed to pay - and some have been sued (successfully) for not doing so.

I suppose a BMI and ASCAP spy could pose as an establishment employee with the cooperation of the management.

Много лет к СССР! "Long live the USSR!" :lol:

Posted : 22/02/2010 2:56 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

As I said that already happens here. Some bares, coffees and restaurants are using free music because SGAE sends letters asking for money if they use commercial music. And it also happens in wedding parties in private sites (not hotels or similar sites).

The worst case (or one of the worst cases) was last summer in a small and beautiful village near to Portugal called Zalamea de la Serena. The people of Zalamea (600 persons! Almost all the village!) play 'El Alcalde de Zalamea' (The Major of Zalamea), a work of Pedro Calderón de la Barca (1600-1681), every year. They use a free adaptation of other writer (Francisco Brines, 1932-) who donated his work to the village. SGAE asked 14.000€ to the village last summer (here is a link to a Spanish newspaper).

Minotaur: Yep, a new cold war is coming!

Posted : 22/02/2010 3:14 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Minotaur: Yep, a new cold war is coming!

I meant that as sarcasm towards the sneakiness of the music industry representatives, but you might be right in the literal sense.

Posted : 22/02/2010 3:43 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. There's a trade agreement, ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) that's being negotiated by a number of countries behind closed doors. Rumor has it the agreement will include intellectual property as well as products. I've also heard that some of the negotiations going on in the Google Books lawsuit will expand copyright beyond what's normally covered - perhaps making it illegal to even quote a single sentence without permission.
For those who are interested in knowing what's going on behind closed doors (or at least part of it), here is a bit of info on the ACTA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/21/acta-internet-enforc.html

I agree with Noteboat, worse before it gets better.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 22/02/2010 4:50 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The ultimate solution -

Host the site in Iran. It may take some years (or even centuries) before USA or any other US agency has some kind of agreement with them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_in_Iran

Reminder to myself - I have to write a song about this copyright thing and the publishers gone wild. American Idiot shall be a good starting point for inspiration.

My Support for GN:

I have been a member of GN for almost 5 years now.

This site has helped me from learning guitar to a lot of other things (some personal) in my life and I extend my full support to GN.

My best luck to GN.

Rahul

Posted : 22/02/2010 9:24 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

This thread completely destroyed my week. That really sucks to hear, and I hope things get resolved quickly.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 23/02/2010 4:12 am
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

The ultimate solution -

Host the site in Iran. It may take some years (or even centuries) before USA or any other US agency has some kind of agreement with them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_in_Iran

Unfortunately we've seen what the policy of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" turns into. :? But I guess we can cross that bridge when we come to it... wait... "those who do not learn from history... " :lol:

Seriously, there's always more than one way to skin a cat (which refers to catfish and are called "cats" for short, not puttytats).

Posted : 23/02/2010 1:22 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

It's just been gettin' worse for what, a year & a half??
Since they shut down Powertab....

Posted : 24/02/2010 12:32 am
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear that i love this site. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 24/02/2010 1:03 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Not to worry. While we are complying with the request, we haven't given up teaching guitar. We are working on several different approaches to teaching via the internet at the moment. Guitarnoise isn't going anywhere.

Posted : 24/02/2010 11:01 am
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member

I have a question that maybe someone can help me with about all this. As an example, if you go to the:

http://www.nittygritty.com/music.html

Now, they have about 40 albums there they have done since 1966 you can buy. You can click on any album, then click on any track and they give you 100% of the lyrics to that song as they sang them. They obviousely want me playing and singing their music, and buying a track as well. It just seems like this is the way it should be.

Posted : 24/02/2010 1:38 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

They obviousely want me playing and singing their music,
I don't think that is such an obvious conclusion. They do want you to know the lyrics, or at least are letting you do so. Maybe if someone sees their lyrics, it'll ring a bell and they'll buy thre song. Maybe not. But, the point it, it's their music. Their chosing to let you have the lyrics for whatever reason.

Is it the way it should be? Legally? I don't know about that. Does it sound like an appetizing situation? Sure. Good business practice? I'll accept that. The mistake some people make is confusing the law with good business practices. I don't care how good a specific business practice is, if it violates the law, it violates the law.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/02/2010 1:53 pm
Page 3 / 15