Skip to content
An idea for beginne...

Notifications
Clear all

An idea for beginners/early intermediates.

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

well, this might not take off - but i was learning some tapping licks tonight (nothing shred like - just some simple single note taps) and then put a backing track on and tried to encorporate a tap or two in as musical a way as possible and it got me thinking ......

for those people like myself who are not to hot on the fretboard, how would you feel if i posted a backing track and we all tried to come up with something based on a set of criteria like this..

the solo must include one tapped note (and only one if you want)
the solo must include one sweep lick (even if it is just a single 2 string sweep)
the solo must include one legato phrase (just one pull off and hammer on)
the solo must contain one "faster" section of alternate picking (notice i sadi faster and not fast!)

The idea would be to help us focus on learning new techniques and start trying to apply them - the aim wouldnt be to impress with flash shred like technique (show offs can have their own thread :lol: )

anyway - like i said this would be a practice exercise, nothing more.
Like i said, this might not take off and thats fine, but if anybody is interested i am happy to host

bye

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 28/07/2008 6:48 pm
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Excellent idea! Count me in. I'm looking at this as a way to explore a style of playing / genre of music I wouldn't normally attempt.

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 28/07/2008 8:27 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

great. i will put a backing track on my soundclick page (ill put the link on here when its done).
because of the nature of the task i think people can download the whole backing track and make their solo as long as they want it to be. i will pm my email address to anybody who is interested and if they email ther finished bit i will put the all on the same soundclick page.

by the way - if anybody wants a different set of criteria than the ones i listed, feel free to suggest any.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 30/07/2008 7:08 pm
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

the solo must include one sweep lick (even if it is just a single 2 string sweep)

What's a sweep lick? :oops:

Take care,

Casey

Posted : 03/08/2008 8:32 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

erm, its difficult for me to describe so try this link
http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/steal_this_video_sweep_picking.html

of course, it doesnt have to be anywhere near as fast as those. mine wont be. anyway, this reminds me i haven tposted the backing track. ill do it tonight. Al

Posted : 05/08/2008 10:57 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

sure dereck, jump in. :D
the gn backing track is here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=835776

pm me when your done and ill send an email address for you to mail your recording to.

Posted : 09/08/2008 7:09 am
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

I'll hop on board for this one too. :D

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

Posted : 16/08/2008 7:36 pm