Skip to content
Anyone use Skype to...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone use Skype to jam with other players?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
16.9 K Views
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I don't think I am anywhere near the point to "Jam" with anyone else...

I am just asking this out of curiosity for the future. I do not know a single other guitarist, and was wondering if anyone does, or would be interested in using Skype to play around and possibly pass some pointers on, etc. Really, I am not looking at getting lessons... that is not what this is about. It is more to explore the social side of guitar playing and to meet some new people.

Has anyone tried this? Is there too much sound delay to make it work right? Is there a web site/forum for people that do this already (I couldn't find one).

Cory

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

Posted : 06/10/2008 3:34 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Sometimes I struggle to have an ordinary conversation on skype (Even on a 10 meg cable connection) I cant imagine being able to jam.

Have you looked at the notice board in your local guitar shop, you may be able to find someone there.

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 06/10/2008 4:54 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Have you taken a peek at the Guitarnoise online jams forum?

It's not live, but it is a global collaboration.
And the folks who participate sound like they are having a lot of fun.

Some pretty good music comes out of it, too.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 07/10/2008 2:50 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes I struggle to have an ordinary conversation on skype (Even on a 10 meg cable connection) I cant imagine being able to jam.

+1

Been happy just to have DTMF (tone tones) finally work over Skype so I can use it for overseas telecons. V doubtful on jamming.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 09/10/2008 1:45 am
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I'm currently overseas, far from home, for work reasons. I use skype almost daily, to keep up with things back at the office, but even more to keep up on conversations with my significant whatever. (Girlfriend sounds stupid after so many years...)

It works pretty well for talking, but sound quality, breaking up, sound coming and going and the like are pretty much going to make it a no go for transmiting music.

Sorry to dissapoint, but I think you're going to be better off using the internet for info, but finding locals to make music with. But it shouldn't be hard- just check the music stores, the music schools, the internet...you'll find somebody. Hell, I'm in Korea, and when I was at the guitar store last week, some guys invited me to jam. We don't even have a language in common, but they like to play the blues. Only embarassing part is that they didn't suck NEARLY as bad as I do...

Best,
Ande

Posted : 09/10/2008 10:39 am
(@delque)

Try NINJAM.

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

Posted : 10/10/2008 2:06 pm
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Matter of fact, I have performed a 2 person online jam on MSN.
Me in Sweden and the other guy in Paris (france).
We used MSN in "Video conference mode".
The major problem was getting the audio levels right and not delay effects.
Both of us had fast connections (> 5 MBit/s) wich probably reduced delay problems.
The complexity with audio levels was that hi played the backing track, I added my instrument and hi added his instrument.
And we never really managed to get a good level balance between backing track and our two instruments.
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 10/10/2008 4:18 pm
(@guitargoddess)

Hey There, if you are looking to JAM LIVE try OJS http://onlinejamsessions.com/ojs/?idAff=37 I hang out there all day and night, Jamming with people from around the world. If you have time Come check it out, I PROMISE it will be worth you time!
Hope to See you at OJS
GG

Posted : 11/07/2009 4:56 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

And, sometimes with Skype there are "lags" where it takes a few seconds for one side to catch up to the other.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/07/2009 9:13 pm
(@brendara)

Can I use Skype Out and Skype In to replace my home phone? I only need to make domestic US calls and I can get Skype In & Skype Out for about $5/month. How well does this work and can it really replace my landline phone? Are there any other alternatives? I know Vonage has service for $25/month but that's 5 times more than skype.

Posted : 19/07/2009 4:43 am
(@vaccarina)

Where can I find a good inexpensive internet phone for skype? Trying to find an internet phone for a friend who uses skype all the time, but I dont want to spend too much, around $50. Do you know any that works well for a good price?

Posted : 24/12/2009 10:03 am
(@hurijaam)

Do all 3G mobile phone frequencies have the same effectiveness? In Australia, Optus claims their 3G mobile phone frequency does not travel as far as Telstra's 3G signal, so they have to build more towers to have the same coverage. Is this true?

Posted : 22/10/2010 4:35 am
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Do all 3G mobile phone frequencies have the same effectiveness? In Australia, Optus claims their 3G mobile phone frequency does not travel as far as Telstra's 3G signal, so they have to build more towers to have the same coverage. Is this true?
Yup.
The 800-900Mhz signal travels farther, and penetrated buildings better than 1800-1900Mhz does.

Not that this has much to do with the topic at hand, but ...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 25/10/2010 3:57 pm