40 Users
0 Likes
50.4 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Trevor,

Go to page 5 of this thread:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

The top post on Page 5 will give you some exact frets.

Try those out (gingerly, considering the rehabilitative state of your hand) and report back. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 05/03/2007 9:23 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Another small box that's very handy is this one:
E|--------8-10-| C, D
B|---8-10------| G, A
G|-9-----------| E

If you use the first note on the 1st string as key note (C, in this case) you're playing C-major pentatonic. If you focus on the second note on the 2nd string (A, in this case) you're playing A-minor pentatonic. You can use this box to play along with practically every country, rock and blues song. You can move the box around for different keys. If you want to play in B-minor pentatonic you go two frets up (Am->Bbm->Bm). If you want to play in B-major you go down one fret (C->B) etc.

This song is in C, so just use the box as it is written. Play around the 8th fret on the E-string and see for yourself which notes sound nice over which chord. As an extra trick you can try bending the 10th fret 1st string up to the 12th fret. That's the E-note, which is part the of the scale too. Don't be afraid to play the same note multiple times or leave a bit of silence. A nice way to work is find a simple riff or lick and repeat it with some variations.

A example I just recorded:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=5080595

The main riff uses just the high E string and only three notes: C, D and E(10th fret bended up to 12th). Just those three notes are more then enough to fill one round. :D

Posted : 05/03/2007 9:32 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Reports back

Ouch ....

Might take me a little bit of time Margret

That !#!@# hurt

Sorry but it did

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 06/03/2007 1:42 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Reports back

Ouch ....

Might take me a little bit of time Margret

That !#!@# hurt

Sorry but it did
What hurts worse, Trevor? The hand or the brain?? All this stretching going on.... :lol:

J/K

Take it slow. Like others have said, that hand is going to need a little time to get back into shape.

For you and for all--there's no emergency about your jam parts. This is still the Jam Incubator, a steady, warm environment in which to hatch, all in due time.

I've heard back from many of you that you're working with the backing track, learning some about scales and improvising, and riding the learning curve of recording (as I am, myself). Therefore, "...the universe is unfolding as it should." :)

As always, post or PM me with any questions or problems that may arise in the process, and we'll find the appropriate help.

Most of all, have fun jammin'! :D

Margaret

Posted : 06/03/2007 2:02 pm
 RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member

The main riff uses just the high E string and only three notes: C, D and E(10th fret bended up to 12th). Just those three notes are more then enough to fill one round.

Sleutelbos - that was awesome! Nice work and great for inspiration. I am using this jam to learn scales and recording, so it may take a while to get my part complete, but your riff is what I needed to keep moving forward. I was struggling to learn scales. This jam has given me a reason to practice and concentrate on a rather mundane part of the learning process. Now I run scales everyday and gettin' better each week. Thanks for that little bit of inspiration.

Posted : 06/03/2007 11:11 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I am going to have to pull out of this. I have been slammed with school work, plus my job, plus rearranging my life to get ready for a child so I really don't have the time I need to put into this jam. Sorry.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 22/03/2007 5:08 pm
(@tucker97325)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure if anyone hear needs inspiration, I know I do. I have this quote posted on my office wall, just to remind me how important scales are.
The student who wishes to acquire a firm technique on the guitar should not neglect the patient study of scales. If he practices them two hours a day he will correct faulty hand positions, gradually increase the strength of the fingers, and prepare the joints for later speed studies. In one hour of scales may be condensed many hours of arduous exercises which are frequently futile. The practice of scales enables one to solve a greater number of technical problems in a shorter time than the study of any other exercise.

Andre Segovia

This may also help clear up some questions. This is the E pentatonic scale. E was used to show show the different positions possible from nut to octave.

I hope this doesn't confuse anyone. If it doesn't make sense to you, just ignore it.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention that the root notes (E) are the red dots with the white dots in them.

It ain't what you play man, its how you play it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=401901

Posted : 24/03/2007 1:45 pm
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I imagine this has already been covered, but I've never experienced this problem before.

When I press record with the backing track in place in Audacity I can't hear the backing track. Ie. it's not coming out of the speakers.

If I press play by itself it works just fine, but not if I press record.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

Posted : 26/03/2007 8:46 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Edit/Preferences/Audio I/O tab, check "Play other tracks while recording new one"

Posted : 26/03/2007 12:10 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I am going to have to pull out of this. I have been slammed with school work, plus my job, plus rearranging my life to get ready for a child so I really don't have the time I need to put into this jam. Sorry.
I'm sorry to see you go, UCG, but I understand. These months will fly and before you know it, a new little person is going to be your only priority for a while. :D
When I press record with the backing track in place in Audacity I can't hear the backing track. Ie. it's not coming out of the speakers. If I press play by itself it works just fine, but not if I press record.
Did Demo's recommendation solve this for you, Clazon?

Margaret

Posted : 27/03/2007 7:58 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Giving this a bump to ask if anybody has a part for Segment 2 (:58 to 1:40) ready or nearly ready to go? If so, I might be able to complete another version of the jam here in the near future.

Margaret

Posted : 02/05/2007 2:04 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

A new version of the jam has been posted over at Hear Here. :D

Players are Gateway, Slejhamer and Vic Lewis.

Check it out!

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33060

Margaret

Posted : 23/05/2007 4:43 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

how come my efforts sounds totally different ?

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 24/05/2007 12:51 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

how come my efforts sounds totally different ?

Different is good.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 24/05/2007 1:28 pm
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Ah. I remember I found it hard to go along with this BT before.

I'll come back to it now though, because I'll get the time later this week to try some stuff out.

It'll also help with a few people setting the yard stick down... :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

Posted : 17/06/2007 4:46 pm
Page 11 / 12