173 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
50.4 K Views
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Ok, put me in wherever.
Ha! This should be interesting. :)

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 06/01/2007 6:06 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thank you for posting that link, Bish. The PR and front-end organization of this thing will be my stronger points. I need all the help I can get when it comes to the technical end. Your assistance now and throughout will be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Consider yourself "put" then, Cowgirl!

TheTallCoolOne, you'll be the first player on Team 3, as the slots on Team 2 have already been promised. They are all folks ironing out some computer challenges in preparation for recording.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 06/01/2007 6:19 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

If I might offer some help, sorry Margaret....

If you want to know how these jams work for best for the host, read this thread. If you follow these directions you can't go wrong.

GN Jam - How to Participate
Thanks Bish.
I had read it but really fast. I thought it was more for the recording end of things (I'm quite OK on that part) rather than also for how to set up the tracks for the host.
I'll do my best to provide the proper tracks as requested.

And Margaret, no problem, I'll be in Team #3 then, same spot.
My part will probably be ready by tomorow anyways. (I don't have much of a life :lol: )
And if I might be of assitance for the technical side of it I'll be glad to help. I'm no pro but I know my way around computers. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

Posted : 06/01/2007 6:39 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

By the way, how do I send them to you?
Is the Sounclick site good enough?
If so, I'll setup as specific account just for Guitar Noise jams.

Posted : 06/01/2007 6:44 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

These are the instructions given to me (Thanks, Dan T!) when I participated in a jam. They worked great for me.

Open Audacity.

1) Import the backing track (BT) into Audacity by selecting "Project - Import Audio"

2) Click on the actual track, several seconds before your designated segment begins (this will put a little line on the track, and when you hit "Record" or "Play" the track will start from that point where the line is, and you'll have a few seconds lead-in to get ready to jam.) You can then record your part, and click stop after you've finished your part. Listen to your part--if you don't like it - go to "Edit - Undo Record", and then try again. If you are happy with your part and want to save it, go to Step 3.

3)
a) Saving entire BT with your part -- Go to "Edit - Preferences" [NOTE: on some versions of Audacity, it is "File - Preferences"] click "Quality" tab - make sure this setting is at 44100Hz & 32-bit, then click "File Formats" tab - set bit rate to 64. Click "OK". Go to "File - Export as MP3" - and save it to your documents or desktop (make sure you know where you saved it to).

b) Saving just your part, with just a bit of the beginning of the BT for easy editing: Go to "Edit - Preferences" [NOTE: on some versions of Audacity, it is "File - Preferences"] - click "Quality" tab - make sure this setting is at 44100Hz and 32-bit, then click "File Formats" tab - set bit rate to 128 (note this is diff than in step 3a). Click "OK". Click and hold on the very beginning of the BT, and slide to the right just a little and then let go. Click "Play" (you should hear just the very beginning of the BT, and then it stops.) Go to - "Edit - Trim" - the entire BT should be erased except for the little bit that you selected at the beginning, and your part is the only other thing left. Go to "File - Export as MP3" - and save it to your documents or desktop (make sure you know where you saved it to).

4) Send two separate emails to the host (Margaret's note--my email address will be provided to participants by PM), with one each of your parts attached. (Two separate emails to make sure the attachments aren't too big to pass through).

If you have questions or problems with this, we can get the help needed. Good Luck!

Margaret

Posted : 06/01/2007 7:12 pm
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Hi Margaret,

I've never tried this before, I'm a beginner for sure!, I think I'd like to give it a shot, how about Team 3, Player 2 slot if its still available?

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

Posted : 06/01/2007 7:55 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi Margaret,

I've never tried this before, I'm a beginner for sure!, I think I'd like to give it a shot, how about Team 3, Player 2 slot if its still available?

Scott

Yep! Welcome!

In case you're not aware, there are some tips about the C Major Pentatonic scale in a parallel thread over at Beginner's Q & A, thread titled Cattle Call for Beginners.

Margaret

Posted : 06/01/2007 8:01 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

what a cool idea! I am just learning how to upload to computer. I can make an MP3;whoohoo. I have Audacity already, but have only used it to record a analog upload and make it WAV or MP3. I havent tried tracks, editing, looks hard.
my plan this year is to get my home studio up and running. this looks like a great opportunity to learn, get my feet wet, and participate with you cool people here.
I play slide guitar almost 90% of the time now. I tune open G and love jamming.
I am not a beginner or advanced beginner. with the computer and on line jamming definately YES.
as a player, no. like I said, I love jamming. I play with folks of all levels all the time. for me it is the group creative process.
so if everyone approves I would like to join. but remember I am slow with computer stuff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 06/01/2007 8:02 pm
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Great, ya I saw that other thread first and already down loaded the scale tool:)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

Posted : 06/01/2007 8:03 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

what a cool idea! I am just learning how to upload to computer. I can make an MP3;whoohoo. I have Audacity already, but have only used it to record a analog upload and make it WAV or MP3. I havent tried tracks, editing, looks hard.
my plan this year is to get my home studio up and running. this looks like a great opportunity to learn, get my feet wet, and participate with you cool people here.
I play slide guitar almost 90% of the time now. I tune open G and love jamming.
I am not a beginner or advanced beginner. with the computer and on line jamming definately YES.
as a player, no. like I said, I love jamming. I play with folks of all levels all the time. for me it is the group creative process.
so if everyone approves I would like to join. but remember I am slow with computer stuff.

It's fine with me if you'd like to join up. We (using the Royal "we", as I'm sure we can count on other experts around here to help) should be able to get you recording confidently with Audacity.

So, even though you're not a beginner guitarist, as long as you understand this is the "slow boat to China" and your teammates may take awhile to feel comfortable working up a part and submitting it, I'm ok with you participating.

Slots 1 and 4 on Team 3 remain open--take your pick, and Welcome!

Margaret

Posted : 06/01/2007 8:10 pm
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

Margaret, you have mail!
I'm done with my take.
Couldn't let the inspiration go by without taking advantage of it. :D

Posted : 06/01/2007 8:38 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks, TallCoolOne! I'll be watching for the email to come in. Might use your track to practice editing, seeing as I've never done it before. :D

To the other Incubator Jam participants---It has been brought to my attention that you must have a Soundclick account to download the backing track.

If you don't have a Soundclick account, PM me with your email address and I'll email you the BT as an mp3.

Margaret

Posted : 06/01/2007 10:18 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

margaret: ok. sounds good. I like the slow boat. I will start the download and see what I can do with my non skills in Audacity.
I'll be in touch. thanks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 06/01/2007 10:25 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I want in I want in.. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 06/01/2007 11:59 pm
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

It looks like I won't be anywhere near the first to say it, but I'm going to anyway: fantastic idea Margaret!
The couple of GN jams that I have done so far have really been of great benefit to my playing. So jump on in and have fun y'all!

P.S. I use ProTracks for my recording, so if any of you are using it need a pointer or two, feel free to shoot me a PM :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

Posted : 07/01/2007 12:20 am
Page 2 / 12