Jam Incubator -- Collabo for Beginners

173 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
50.4 K Views
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Hi folks,

I finished my section of Jam Incubator project yesterday and was reflecting on this project. I had a brief PM with Margaret and she encouraged me to get my thoughts out to you folks:

Why did I do it? Three reasons:

• 1) It was a personal goal for 2007 to participate in at least one on-line jam;
    2) Learn to put a part together with the improv/jam skills that my instructor and I have been working on;
    3) A learning experience to learn how to better record myself with my software of choice.

• As it turns out, I participated in two projects in the last two or three weeks: 1) Pink II – The overflow; 2) The Jam Incubator project.

So… was it worth it?

You bet! I learned I had cool ideas in my head and I was able to get them recorded. Now… was I able to get those cool ideas to flow from my brain to fingers in real-time? No, I wasn't. It took multiple takes. Uhhh…. As many as 40+ takes in one case. Maybe it was 50 or 60… I can't remember … or don't want to ;-). I never let the bad takes get me down. I learned something from a take and moved on to the next take.

• NOTE: you are probably putting more pressure on yourself and being harder on yourself than any of us will ever be. You are probably a harsher critic of your work too. I know I was putting pressure on myself. I wanted to play well and I think did well on both of my projects, but I took some perspective here. I've been taking lessons (again) for just under 1.5 years and I'm learning some new skills. I won't be perfect… I won't sound like Harrison or SRV or Hendrix or Clapton. I will sound like me.

• I learned I have reasonable improv skills and after doing the second jam, I feel like I improved on a few things. I also realize this is a learning process and will get better.

I got my parts recorded and sent off to the ‘mixers' and apparently they have had no problems with them. From a technology point of view I have the basics and know how to use more of my software's features.

I've been watching this thread and I see Margaret encouraging you folks. If you aren't done, there's no rush. Take your time and get your ideas/thoughts/playing down the way you want. I want to encourage you to follow through. It is going to be cool to hear the final product and know you were part of it.

Oh... and you know what? It was fun! I feel a sense of accomplishment and can't wait have my instructor listen to the final product.

A few ideas for those of you that might be stuck (and take this for what it is worth since I have only done two of these):

• I had ideas and took some time to get some ‘noodling' takes recorded. I just played scales, phrases, ideas and sounds. I listened and found the things I liked, worked them out a bit more, and decided if they seemed like beginning, middle or end parts.

Play around with pickup selection, sounds and effects. They may give you some ideas.

I listened to some of my favorite guitarists. You don't need to play a lot of notes. Listen to BB King, Eric Clapton, George Harrison and a host of others. In fact, I was giving my 15 year old daughter a driving lesson yesterday. We were listening to Eric Clapton… well I was listening to Clapton and Layla came on. I had already worked out my sound and most of my part, but when I heard Layla I heard some phrasing I wanted in my Jam Incubator project. When I got home I got my ideas down.

If you need some ideas on soloing, there are a couple of beginner articles at the Play Guitar web site (David Hodge and Tom Serb have written articles for Play Guitar):

http://playguitarmagazine.com/article/12/12,6681,LESSONS-1.asp

http://playguitarmagazine.com/article/PG4/PG4,5465,LESSONSANDSONGS-1.asp

• Well there you go…. Keep at it folks. If you want help, suggestions, encouragement, feel free to PM me. I know what you are going through and maybe I can help.

Posted : 21/01/2007 5:39 pm
    (@goodvichunting)
    Reputable Member

Thx Boogie.

In the same vein, I want to say that collaboration isn't just limited to having 4 different people doing 4 different parts.
    We can (and perhaps should) collaborate on ideas as well.

If you are having trouble with any aspect (technological or creative), feel absolutely free to ask your team members (or anyone else for that matter) for help.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

Posted : 21/01/2007 10:45 pm
    (@margaret)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter

Great posts, Boogie and GoodVic. :D

It's been a few days since I heard from any of the jam's players and I want to keep the project at the forefront, so thought I'd give the thread another bump. (Eggs in an incubator need turning on a frequent basis. :wink: )

Wondering if the players on Team 2, who all had computer issues/delays when we started, are starting to get things in order to be able to record? (Team 2 is PearltheKat, Clazon, IndianaJonesin, and Rahul.) Anybody need help figuring things out?

If anyone is having a creative block, I could likely get permission from a couple of those who've already submitted parts to forward their submissions to you so you could hear what somebody else has done with it.

Let us know if you need anything.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
    And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 26/01/2007 2:33 am
    (@thetallcoolone)
    Estimable Member

... If anyone is having a creative block, I could likely get permission from a couple of those who've already submitted parts to forward their submissions to you so you could hear what somebody else has done with it.

Margaret
    You have "carte blanche" to do as you please with mine. (by the way, did my take sync up properly on your software?)
    And if I can be of any help too, I'm just a post away. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

Posted : 26/01/2007 3:53 am
    (@margaret)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter

... If anyone is having a creative block, I could likely get permission from a couple of those who've already submitted parts to forward their submissions to you so you could hear what somebody else has done with it.

Margaret
    You have "carte blanche" to do as you please with mine. (by the way, did my take sync up properly on your software?)
    And if I can be of any help too, I'm just a post away. :D
    Thank you, TTCO. And yes, your part mixed in to the master perfectly and sounds wonderful!

So there you have it, folks, I can send you a copy of TTCO's jam part if you'd like some inspiration. (I would post it, but I hate to spoil the surprise for everyone.) It is very nice! Just PM me with your email address if you want me to send it along to you.

Margaret

Posted : 26/01/2007 4:24 am
    (@dagwood)
    Noble Member

If anyone is having a creative block, I could likely get permission from a couple of those who've already submitted parts to forward their submissions to you so you could hear what somebody else has done with it.

Margaret

Share and Share alike is my vote...key word being "Collaboration". I'm thinking of redoing my bit this weekend. I was listening to it again yesterday and I know I could do better.

I like this BT it inspires a "NICE" feeling or mood -vs- a Ripping -- KICKEN mood... <wink>

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 26/01/2007 12:18 pm
    (@margaret)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter

I'm thinking of redoing my bit this weekend. I was listening to it again yesterday and I know I could do better.

I like this BT it inspires a "NICE" feeling or mood -vs- a Ripping -- KICKEN mood... <wink>
    Your part is beautiful as it is -- I've re-listened to it many times, and it continues to go through my head. It fits the mood of the BT perfectly and I can't imagine why you'd consider re-doing it.

It's up to you, of course, but that's MHO.

Margaret

Posted : 26/01/2007 2:00 pm
    (@dagwood)
    Noble Member

I'm thinking of redoing my bit this weekend. I was listening to it again yesterday and I know I could do better.

Your part is beautiful as it is -- I've re-listened to it many times, and it continues to go through my head. It fits the mood of the BT perfectly and I can't imagine why you'd consider re-doing it.

It's up to you, of course, but that's MHO.

Margaret

Thanks.. your a PEACH!! :oops: :oops:

When I listen to it I hear some 'slop' in it and I know I can do it better... I dunno I still have my file(s) in audacity. I'm thinking of the same notes etc, but just 'Better'.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 27/01/2007 12:45 am
    (@boogie)
    Honorable Member

Margaret, you are welcome to share mine too.

Posted : 28/01/2007 3:26 am
    (@falcon1)
    Reputable Member

I would be interested to hear what others have posted so far. I am a bit hesitant to sign up for this, as I am not sure what is really expected to come out of this - which is why hearing what others are doing would clear things up a bit :)

Posted : 28/01/2007 7:32 am
    (@ricola)
    Estimable Member

I would be interested to hear what others have posted so far. I am a bit hesitant to sign up for this, as I am not sure what is really expected to come out of this - which is why hearing what others are doing would clear things up a bit :)

I'll second that. Maybe even take the spot of someone who would like to drop out?

Psa. 42:8
    By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
    and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

Posted : 28/01/2007 1:58 pm
    (@goodvichunting)
    Reputable Member

Margaret, you can distribute mine as well.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

Posted : 28/01/2007 2:32 pm
    (@margaret)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter

Thank you, Boogie and GoodVicHunting!

Falcon1 and Ricola, please PM me with your email addresses and I'll send you each a couple samples of what others are doing with this. It's very good stuff.

This backing track is, IMO, a good one if you've never tried improvising before. It is slow and easy to find a melody that sounds nice.

In case you haven't read every post on this rather lengthy thread, I'll remind everyone that there is a related thread at the Beginner's Q & A forum titled Cattle Call for Beginners, with helpful info about the scale/box positions, etc. Here's a link:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30250

When you're ready to record and submit your part, see the thread titled Jam Incubator-What to Submit to the Host, stickied near the top of the Online Jams and Collaborations forum, for details of what is required. Here's a link:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30345

I'm going to open Team 7. I know of at least three people interested and we can fill any open spots with people who've volunteered to play a second segment.

Let me know which segment you'd like to take. :D

Margaret

Posted : 28/01/2007 2:53 pm
     RWB
    (@rwb)
    Eminent Member

I would like to join team 7, if still open. Absolute beginner - 1st year. I gotta try this. still open?

Posted : 29/01/2007 11:54 am
    (@margaret)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter

I would like to join team 7, if still open. Absolute beginner - 1st year. I gotta try this. still open?
    Yepper!

Welcome, RWB!

Name which segment you'd like, 1,2,3 or 4. (See the very first post of this thread for the exact time slots).

Margaret

Posted : 29/01/2007 2:56 pm
    Page 6 / 12