Skip to content
Join The Virtual Ba...

Notifications
Clear all

Join The Virtual Band (Recreational Chemistry)

44 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
20.7 K Views
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Here's the deal guys and gals. I'd like to produce a CD with 10-13 songs on it by a band made up of all virtual members. I'd like for us to be the first virtual group ever to produce such an entire CD/album. I'm thinking that half the songs (or more) could be cover songs. No backing tracks. Original songs would be an awsome and welcomed addition. This is really just something I'd like to be able to share with friends and family. (Not sell)

I'm thinking that since we have many songwriters here on GN, it would be nice to pull a song from the Sunday Songwriters Group and perfrom it. Since Vic Lewis runs that group, I thought it would be best to have him make the decision on what song to record.

Here's what we'll need:
1- List of band members - small bio and place of origin
2 - A Bass player
3 - Someone who is proficient on Keyboards
4 - Someone who is good with the drum software.
5 - Someone to mix/produce the music (I am terrible at mixing)
6 - I'm assuming most, if not all members would/can play guitar parts
7 - List of songs
8 - Someone to manage the effort, communications and file archiving. (I will do that!)

Right now I have 3 songs that I would like to contribute. They are cover songs that I am currently learning. For each, I will be changing around the arramgments and adding instraments to make it my own version. But I'll need other band members to contribute on drums , bass , etc. I also have orginal songs I'd like to do.

This is on the "would be nice to have" list- If Dogbite gets back online with GN, it would be great to have him do the mixing. He could interview the band members and post this on his website. (Since he has a recording studio dedicated to this kind of thing!)

Please let me know if you are interested and I will put together a project plan and arrange for a conference call. (Creativity will require some interation on our parts!)

Matt

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 05/08/2010 12:38 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Matt!

Good idea. I could help with the bass and perhaps with the drums (simple tracks with software or hardware). I can play guitars as well. I am much worse than you with the mixing. LOL!

Jeff is preparing his own CD but perhaps he wants to participate as well. I know he did some collaborations (I don't remember if another GN bassist did it!).

Anyway, I mean if anybody is also interested we could play several songs each one. In fact it would help me because 10-13 songs are many songs and sometimes I am in trouble with my time.

Posted : 05/08/2010 10:44 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm interested! Some rhythm, maybe a little lead, harmonica, keyboards (if it's simple!) - whatever.

One song you might think about including is the Chain Song we tried in the SSG a couple of years back...CitiZenNoir started it, fourteen different people added ONE line each and I added another two lines to finish it off. I added music as well - PBee added a bass line at some time or another, but it could definitely do with re-recording.

There was also another song like that which a few people contributed a verse to - the original idea was Pearlthekat's, and I put some music to it. Again, only a rough demo which could definitely do with re-recording....

Here's the original thread - see what you think..... https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40757

and the original demo.... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=225059&songID=6821026

As for picking other songs from the SSG - well, there have been so many good songs over the last few years it might be better to actually form a committee to pick a few! Or maybe half a dozen or so of us could suggest a few songs they've really liked?

And of course there's ol' MLCMMB - that's mostly your song. Maybe this time around, you'd like to sing it or play on it?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/08/2010 8:45 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

You both the guitar and bass so you can have multiple parts if you would like. I think that's great!

Nuno, what drum software do you use? The drum software that is packaged with Pro Tools ( I forget the name at the moment) sounds very good. But it is difficult to program. (difficult for me). I just need to spend some more time with it. The reason I ask is because I would like to have a real sounding drum kit for us to work with. Instead of a click track. Or something very basic.

The vision for this project, as I see it, is to record some cover songs but create some new arrangements for the songs. That would require something slightly higher than basic drums.

I'm very excited about recording original music too! This will be somewhat of an experiment. Under normal circumstances, we would be in a room together where we all could exchange musical ideas and creative concepts. Not having that luxury will require us to communicate effectively and will push the emvelope in terms of our creativity.

Vic- Yes! I think taking a crack at MLCMMB would be a great idea. I have not yet listened to the demo you posted from the SSG postings. But I think that it would be wonderful to see at least one of those songs come to fruition. (Most of the songs are in lyrical content and do not have music. If I'm not mistaken. (Not including the songs you listed)

I also did have Jeff in mind. I think he would be an excelent contributor to this. I will send him a PM to check his availability. Is there anyone else you think may be interested?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 06/08/2010 8:50 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I use GarageBand, a Zoom Rhythm Box and the Korg Pandora. The Pandora has very basic patterns but Dogbite and I used it in our lounge version of 96 Tears.

I think I only could contribute with those simple things.

Posted : 06/08/2010 9:07 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nothing I've ever done could be considered CD quality. gimme another decade or so for practice. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 06/08/2010 10:53 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I'll be consumed the next month and half getting my band's CD out the door, but after that, I'd love to be involved. Maybe Nuno and I could split the bass duties. The only guitar playing I'd be up for would be some simple acoustic strumming stuff. Other than that, I've pretty much quit playing guitar. I use Addictive Drums, which I think has a very good sound. I'd definitely be willing to work on some drum tracks. If all goes well tomorrow and I figure out how to get a good live sound, I may record some real drums :oops: I've got some pretty cool virtual synths, if we want to do MIDI for any keyboards.

I'd definitely be up for some mixing too. I've been learning a lot on that side of things and really enjoy it.

Great idea!

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 06/08/2010 11:04 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter

JW- No doubt about it. You must finish your band's CD first. I'm sure this project will take some time to complete so- no worries. Would love to have you join. There will be plenty to work on. Based on what I've heard in the past, Addictive Drums DOES sound very real. I've heard you use different tempos and fills. Sounded great. I think that's the way to go!

Now Uncle Roy...do you really think that we would let you off the hook that easily? Hmmm? :lol: C'mon man, You gotta haveta do this.

Hey Vic and Nuno- Do you have any original music that just begging to be recorded by a full band?

Posted : 07/08/2010 3:44 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have no marketable music skills. Maybe a bit of rhythm or something. You've heard me. None of it pretty at all.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/08/2010 6:11 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic and Nuno- Do you have any original music that just begging to be recorded by a full band?

Can't speak for Nuno, but I've got LOADS - over a hundred, at least! - just from SSG assignments. Every song I've ever written there has at least a basic chord progression and a melody line.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 07/08/2010 10:47 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Don't worry Jeff. For my previous experiences with collaborations, I need around two or three weeks per song if I don't know it. It is not only the learn the notes, I also need to interiorize. In that month and half you need for your band, I could record two or three songs!

I don't have original music, just some instrumental songs based on chord progressions like July. BTW, Arjen did a good work by adding the lyrics and some strings over it.

On the bass, I can play all, no problem. If I don't know the music style, I need more time. But I've recorded practically everything with Dogbite from funky to country. On the guitar, I can do almost everything (acoustic and electric).

Posted : 07/08/2010 10:55 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Can't speak for Nuno, but I've got LOADS - over a hundred, at least! - just from SSG assignments. Every song I've ever written there has at least a basic chord progression and a melody line.....
Perfect!

(I was writing while Vic submit his post.)

Posted : 07/08/2010 10:57 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Blueline,

Sign Me Up

I would love to take part in this project as a performer
and or songwriter.

Guitar rhythm or lead some vocals maybe some help with the mixing.

:note1: :note1: :note1:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 07/08/2010 1:50 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Blueline,

Sign Me Up

I would love to take part in this project as a performer
and or songwriter.

Guitar rhythm or lead some vocals maybe some help with the mixing.

John

Matt - Celt's one of the people I was thinking of when I said "There's been some really good songs written in the SSG over the past few years."

John - "Mortuary Blues" and "Time for Making Love" are a couple of yours that spring to mind, but maybe you'd rather have one of your acoustic demos done as a band version? Maybe we songwriters should submit a short list of say 4-5 songs and let everyone else involved pick one of the 4 of 5?

Maybe some of David Hodge's songs or Katreich's songs could be used for the same purpose - with their permission, of course - band versions of what are essentially solo acoustic songs?

Perhaps I could post a link in a sticky thread in the SSG to this thread - and ask everyone if they've got a song they'd like to include?

Matt - I think we should stay away from covers completely, and just use original songs from SSG and/or GN members. Otherwise, we're going to get bogged down in a sea of copyright issues....

Vic

PS - Oh, there's an idea I've had for a while for a GN members collaboration, which has been sparked into life by this thread - I'm going to go and post it elsewhere in this collaborative forum!

Posted : 07/08/2010 9:41 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Thanks Vic,

There are quite a few versions of "Time For Making Love" so lets
take that one off the table."Mortuary Blues" is a possibility.
I might suggest my SSG Week 40 entry. I had a co-writer
you may be familiar with.

Matt ,

I agree with Vic that it may be better to stay away from covers but
that's up to you as this was your idea. Between this and Vic's Lennon
collaboration we're seeing quite a bit of creative thinking around here.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 08/08/2010 12:25 am
Page 1 / 3