Online Jam via MSN is possible

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Hi
I have tested an online jam via MSN and it worked fairly good without delay/latency problems.
My friend in Paris played a midi backing and added a keyboard and sended it out to our MSN audio session and I added Guitar. Hi could hear my guitar without delay compared to his playing. The major problem was to set all levels right so both players could hear all "instruments" in the same level.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Posted : 01/04/2007 2:38 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Are you saying this was all live -- playing keys and guitar live at the same time over the backing track? Or did you sequentially add instruments?

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 02/04/2007 1:46 am
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Yes, it was "live", we played at the same time over the backing track !

But as you can use internet for IP telephony without disturbing delays, using it for IP "jamming" should not be impossible.

My friend in Paris and I have high speed connections (>10 Mbit/s) wich helps to reduce delays.

Kalle

Posted : 02/04/2007 2:48 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it was "live", we played at the same time over the backing track !

But as you can use internet for IP telephony without disturbing delays, using it for IP "jamming" should not be impossible.

My friend in Paris and I have high speed connections (>10 Mbit/s) wich helps to reduce delays.

Kalle

Interesting. I suspect your connection latencies must have been quite low and consistent for that session. The bit rate is not really the only factor here, as it can be independent of delay (routing and packet prioritization). Music is much more time critical than VOIP, where acceptable delays can be in excess of 250 ms and highly variable with traffic and priorities. This would not interfere with the intelligibility of a phone conversation, but would play havoc with syncing of music. I'm interested in knowing if all your sessions are equally successful. Let us know.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 02/04/2007 3:12 pm
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

We will do a new MSN Jamsession in about two weeks ( hi is on vacation during the easter).

But I am open for a test with some other musicians.

Kalle

Posted : 02/04/2007 4:13 pm