The Great Guitarnoise Free Jam Project

59 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
20.6 K Views
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

it stands for audacity project. Instead of encoding it to mp3, if other peoplee have the program, they can just be sent an aup. file and other people can just record over it in audacity. Also, you have probably noticed there is a slight delay when recording with audacity, so when recording ur solo, you will need to use the time shift tool to get it to link up with the rythm track, which is much easier to do in audacity.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

Posted : 23/01/2005 2:32 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This brings up another set of points, including the need to standardize on acceptable audio formats (e.g., WAV, MP3. ... Vorbis Ogg :wink: ) and rates/bandwidths, as well as the session file format. For those unfamiliar, the latter is specific to the multitrack recorder/editor, and establishes which tracks are used, relative timing, panning, envelope and more. (Examples: Adobe Audition, nee Cool Edit Pro uses *.ses files, and I suspect *.aup might be the same for Audacity) In this case, it's the timing that is critical, as re-aligning an orphan solo track to a backing track is not always as simple as one might think. Audacity is available to everyone, so it may make sense to use that where possible. However, there may be a few who simply wish to record directly to PC using an app that is not really a multitracker. In those cases, one should do something simple such as placing the backing track on left and recording to right -- this will give the solo a frame of reference without a session file.

Those of you who have Apples (anyone?) and use Garageband are probably in the minority, may need to have someone convert your file formats.

I realize all this sounds a little anal retentive, when the general feeling is "let's just do it!" But is only takes about 30 minutes of planning and little agreement to make things go a lot smoother, esp at mixing. And the whole thing will sound better as well.

Summarizing, choose:

1. Main audio editing/multitrack program (will determine session file format and limit the choice of audio file formats)

2. Audio file format (compatible with choice in 1.) and sampling rate and bandwidth -- e.g., MP3 at 128 kb/s and 12 kHz bandwidth

3. Plan for non-standard users (analog, other than choice in 1.) Converting strategy that takes into consideration time alignment.

4. Other things that will help: Metronome track? (cyber-drums, maybe) Lead-in count? Clear arrangement of intro, main, bridge, outro.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 23/01/2005 2:59 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

Summarizing, choose:

1. Main audio editing/multitrack program (will determine session file format and limit the choice of audio file formats)

2. Audio file format (compatible with choice in 1.) and sampling rate and bandwidth -- e.g., MP3 at 128 kb/s and 12 kHz bandwidth

3. Plan for non-standard users (analog, other than choice in 1.) Converting strategy that takes into consideration time alignment.

4. Other things that will help: Metronome track? (cyber-drums, maybe) Lead-in count? Clear arrangement of intro, main, bridge, outro.

I have seen, but not been in, other jams on the internet that assign time segments. Your track starts at xx:xx:xx and ends at xx:xx:xx.

My multitracker actually makes setting start points pretty easy. If someone were to say, "My track starts at xx:xx:xx," I could set that up.

I would also agree with the need to use standard, or at least portable, formats. If we decide to use pro-tools or cool-edit formats for example that kicks me out of the whole thing. I can use Audacity, but that is yet something else I have to learn how to use :P

#2, any format for me is compatable with my recorder, but some formats are better for recording than others. MP3 degrades the music quite a bit, wav is better but requires enormous amounts of space and might be impossible to transfer in some cases.

I can make "cyber" drums...assuming you mean a drum track made w/ software...if not then I don't know.

Posted : 23/01/2005 7:27 pm
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

I'd like to contribute but I'm quite bad and besides, it seems like a metal-project and I'm more into funk.
Or at least it's what I'm into right now :)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

Posted : 25/01/2005 2:18 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

I'd like to contribute but I'm quite bad and besides, it seems like a metal-project and I'm more into funk.
Or at least it's what I'm into right now :)

Post it, I'll contribute.

I think right now all there is is a lot of talk. Someone want's to start doin somthin I'm there. I like funk.

Posted : 25/01/2005 8:22 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I don't know, but nroberts jam tracks are pretty funky, check them out!
I'm having a blast jaming to them :lol: :lol: -the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 26/01/2005 1:37 am
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Geez a lot of hubbub over a jam project. Is it still on the go? If it is, i'm willing to give it a shot. Even if I am a hack.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 26/01/2005 2:54 am
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

I downloaded norberts makeagobass track and I enjoy it very much.
I think I'll contribute something after a few more days of practicing :D

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

Posted : 26/01/2005 7:47 am
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

Why thanks everyone. I'll try making some more. I have a few other ideas floating about.

I can't make em all though, would be nice to jam to some other guitar noise poster tracks...

Might be nice to hear some of the results of working with mine also...

Posted : 26/01/2005 5:38 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

Why thanks everyone. I'll try making some more. I have a few other ideas floating about.

I can't make em all though, would be nice to jam to some other guitar noise poster tracks...

Might be nice to hear some of the results of working with mine also...

I also tried to talk to the admins about creating a "sunday" jam track club but got no response. Maybe they would be more convinced if it became evidant it would survive longer than the Sunday Composer's Group?

Posted : 26/01/2005 5:47 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey nroberts, I'm working on one of yours now, hope to post it in a few days. This will be my first project using audacity. I'm a 424 diehard, this is new to me and my pc went is in the shop so I'm using my wifes laptop. :lol: -the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 26/01/2005 7:13 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd give it a go if you posted the backing track somewhere. I have Audacity so you could post one of those. I guess I could figure out how to convert an Mp3 but I never have before.

If nothing else it will be good for me to practice along to.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 26/01/2005 8:59 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

I'd give it a go if you posted the backing track somewhere. I have Audacity so you could post one of those. I guess I could figure out how to convert an Mp3 but I never have before.

If nothing else it will be good for me to practice along to.

Chris

If you wanted to use one of mine you can just ask for it. The problem is that direct wav captures are simply huge. I don't have anywhere I could leave them...short of maybe yahoo briefcase and give away my password...which I don't mind doing if it will work. I didn't do the recording or mixing in Audacity though, so separate wavs or a stereo wav is best I could do. Unless you want to install Linux and Ardour :wink:

Posted : 26/01/2005 10:32 pm
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

ok ill make the backing track by this saturday.

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

Posted : 27/01/2005 11:21 pm
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

the format will be wav

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

Posted : 27/01/2005 11:23 pm
Page 2 / 4