Clear all

12-String Electric

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone played a 12-string electric? I'm looking at a 12-string Agile at Rondo and was curious if the electrics have that 12-string sound like the accoustics. I'm sure it's at least a little different, but do they have that pretty sound to them? None of the shops in town have 'em.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I haevn't got one, but I've played one a couple of times. The effect is the same, maybe not as pronounced or maybe it was just that guitar (Gibson doubleneck), but it's definately there.

Here's the best example I can think of... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_B1synkRfE

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I have a 12 string Daisy Rock Retro H that I bought used a Guitar Center. I don't play it all that much but I like it a lot. I has that jangley sound to it. It's good to have a 12 string electric for variety.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If you're going for Byrds-like jangle, you'll need a compressor. The Jangle Box site has some nice sound clips.

Or just buy a Roger McGuinn signature edition Rickenbacker, which has a built-in compressor. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

great value, not sure if they are still made in Japan tho.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Stratocaster-12String-Electric-Guitar?sku=515107

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

great value, not sure if they are still made in Japan tho.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Stratocaster-12String-Electric-Guitar?sku=515107

Jeez, i never knew a Strat 12 string existed...What a headstock !

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd better not go look at Rondo's page. My Agile AS-820 semihollowbody is my favorite guitar, and I've seen 'em advertise a 12 string version of that periodically. I really don't need another guitar! :shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Anyone know the Schecter c-1 (I think that's right) 12 string? It's a semi-hollow body and seemed pretty nice when I tried one out the other day. I'm thinking about it.....

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I have a Dean electric 12 that I'm very happy with.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have a Dean electric 12 that I'm very happy with.

Is the Dean by any chance a semi-hollow body with set neck? Good action? (Nothing like your Ricky, I'll bet, but considerably less expensive?)

Tim

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I love the 12 string sound! They're really quite different though - electric vs acoustic. I have yet to get a regular electric, but I've gotten quite a convincing electric sound just by putting a single coil pup under the strings of my acoustic 12 string. Nice and jangly and...electric.

rparker: if you're gonna get a 12 string electric...why not get the Agile double-neck! ;)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I finally took the plunge (an early birthday present). This is the guitar (a Schecter csh-12):

I've got to tell you, I've fallen in love. It's a sweet guitar.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Whoa!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

That's a beautiful.....um....cough.....guitar, Tim.

:Runs away with Tim's guitar, when he's at work:

ReplyQuote