12-yr old phenom

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYQ7O6V0Fvk&feature=channel

Makes me shake my head and wonder when I should have started playing.....just wow.

I'm sure some here may have come across him

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@freetime)

He's good for his age but if he was 10 years older he'd just be another player.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

He's good for his age but if he was 10 years older he'd just be another player.

Ah, but that's the thing. If (and it's a big if) he keeps practicing he'll be 10 years better than he is now then. He'll also be miles ahead of the other 22 year old players who've only been playing for a few years. The cumulative effects of early practice snowball.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Child prodigies tend to burn out very young - look at Mozart, and that ten-year old girl who got accepted for a Maths Degree course at Cambridge Uni a few years back; or was she eight, I can't remember.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Here's an interesting theory on Mozart not dying but faking his own death. I didn't know he was burned out so I did a quick search and this is what was one of the sites.

http://www.astroamerica.com/mozart.html

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ugh, that's one of the dumbest 'theories' i've seen in a while. And I've seen a lot of really dumb ones. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Child prodigies tend to burn out very young - look at Mozart, and that ten-year old girl who got accepted for a Maths Degree course at Cambridge Uni a few years back; or was she eight, I can't remember.

Some do and some don't - plenty of counter examples (e.g. Tiger Woods, Gauss) exist. There's also growing evidence that prodigies are not much more than kids who've started to practice and practice intensely at a young age and so they acquire a large number of quality practice hours well before their peers. It's that practice that sets them apart.

I read Talent is Overrated over XMas and it was quite interesting in the first half (the second half is about applying the ideas to business). It is a popularization of the research that is coming out on what really separates the top performers from others. It apparently all comes down to quantity and quality of practice. I'm in the process of tracking down some of the actual research papers that this book is based on (a lot of it by K. Anders Ericsson).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote