8 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

ops :oops: here's the link now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

wow. I had no idea playing like this existed as early as 1973! :shock:
At 2:48 thats basically (slighty scrappy) shred as we would acknowledge it today. Those are pretty much Zakk Wylde licks (or visa versa lol)...and that big sweep...
Now, I shamefully have heard little of Richie Blackmore's playing who I know to be considered a pioneer in shred but did he really ever do anything like that at the time?

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

At 2:48 thats basically (slighty scrappy) shred as we would acknowledge it today. Those are pretty much Zakk Wylde licks (or visa versa lol)...and that big sweep...
Now, I shamefully have heard little of Richie Blackmore's playing who I know to be considered a pioneer in shred but did he really ever do anything like that at the time?

What in the world are you referring to? :?

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Dunno, but there were folks who could play a guitar fairly well back in 1973. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I shamefully have heard little of Richie Blackmore's playing who I know to be considered a pioneer in shred but did he really ever do anything like that at the time?

Wayyyyyy before 1973. Geez, Simon....wayyyyyyyyyyy before!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Ah, you're referring to Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Blackmore was a founding member of Deep Purple back in 1968. Just goes to show that everything old becomes new again (at some point)!
:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Ah, you're referring to Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Blackmore was a founding member of Deep Purple back in 1968. Just goes to show that everything old becomes new again (at some point)!
:D
Yeah, I heard once there was this thing called "bell Bottoms". Anyone ever seen them?

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I heard once there was this thing called "bell Bottoms". Anyone ever seen them?

And platform shoes! How could they play in those things back then!? :P

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@classico)
Estimable Member

well, there were some really great guitarists in 1973 and alot before that too... some of them were surely way ahead of their time...

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

lmao. I didn't put the link - that was reeeeal clever. :oops: ok its up the top :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

lmao. I didn't put the link - that was reeeeal clever. :oops: ok its up the top :roll:

Ahh, now I get it! :wink: :lol:

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Man, that keyboard/flute/singer is some kinda mad scientist.

I like it! 8)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote