Skip to content
4 x 12 cab for Mars...

Notifications
Clear all

4 x 12 cab for Marshall Haze 40 (Got it!)

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think my new Marshall Haze 40 would sound nice through a 4 x 12 cab. A Marshall 1960A would be nice but I think it would be silly to spend more on the cab than the amp cost. So ...... working on a budget I was thinking the MG cab. $259 complete with foriegn made Celestions. Well, being from the USA the real Celestions are foriegn made too aren't they? :lol: The cab has no castors and is compact but does have nice recessed handles. I'm sure it isn't plywood either but there is a reason it is so much cheaper now isn't there. I'm thinking the slant front. I can also pair it with my Fender 4 x 12 when I use my Peavey Windsor head if I so desire. It is a straight cab. I think it will be versatile. It is 8 ohms. The Haze has both 8 and 16 ohm jacks. The internal speaker is 16 ohm but you can not use both at once. The manual warns against this. My Haze will fit nicely on top.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@liontable)
Estimable Member

From what I hear the MG cab is absolutely horrible and does not have any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Considering the Marshall MG series, I wouldn't doubt this. The Orange cabinets are very, very well received (and would be great for your music style probably), so I'd look for those used.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I checked out an MG at the local store today. It didn't seem too bad. It is a mute point because I already ordrered one. Yes, I have read the reviews. Some like them, some say they are junk. As with most online reviews, the biggest haters are people who have never even tried them. I read there is not enough bass and there is too much bass. Well, which is it? It is loud, it isn't loud. It's not plywood. Neither is my combo I plan to use with it. My Haze had lots of bad reviews. Was supposed to sound like crap and should be broken by now. Well I love the way it sounds. I have a Peavey Windsor head that was supposed to sound bad too. I love the way it sounds. My Peavey valve King is supposed to be bad too. So, I will try it out. If I'm not happy, it will go back. Why do I want this? I want 4 speakers but I want small and light. How good is the speaker that is in my Haze right now? $600 all tube amp, surely it isn't high end itself yet I like it. I just want 4 instead of 1. As far as used cabs go, not around here. All used stuff is combos. When you do find something used, it looks like it was thrown down a stair well.

Sorry for the rant, but I am just frustrated with reviews and their mob mentality. I need to try things for myself. Maybe it will stink? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect your opinion. I'm just gonna evaluate this for myself. I guess I was more looking for the opinion of a 4 x 12 cab to pair with a combo for versatility. Not so much which one. Like I said, it may well be terrible. I'll let everyone know!

I did find this .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpQPYWjypuc

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sorry to dissapoint ........... I got it today and it sounds fantastic. Tightens up the bottom end nicely. Even though my Haze 40 combo has a ported closed back I still find it a little thin. I like the thump of a 4 x 12. :mrgreen: PS I returned empty beer and soda cans to fund this. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Kinda makes you wanna play doesn't it? Might do a video tomorrow. It sounds good! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Awesome, dude! congrats. I wish I could take a turn on it. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Come on over Roy!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've been thinking a bit about the rant regarding online reviews. They get pretty iffy at times. It's difficult to pick out the haters, fanboys, folks who never tried item, folks who didn't know how to use item and trendy spewage. Unfortunately, that trendy spewage is right next door to tale-telling trends. Was it just a guitar or two that the neck was set wrong on, or is it a whole batch?

Then you gotta figure out if that whole neck set wrong trend was people just writing reviews for the fun of it and repeating what they heard as their own.

My favorite came right here a few years ago. Someone was giving first-hand knowledge type of advice on a particular item as being better than a competitor's while never actually even seen the items in question.

What you don't see enough of are qualifications of statements. Liontable, in a post above, clearly stated that his was "from what I hear" type of statement and skeptisism based on experience with other products from the series. I get the feeling that far too many simply leave the qualification part out.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

it's hard to draw to many conclusions on what you read in the online reviews or anywhere else since you dont know the poster or anything else about them.

I just look for general themes if the majority of people think it sux in the long run it probably does but that doesn't mean the one you bought is a lemon.

I bought an HD TV a couple years ago when my Sony crapped out. Bought it at Walmart for something like $500 for a 46".

I am totally happy with this TV in all regards....after I had owned it for some reason I went on line to check reviews...if there was one good one I would have been suprised. I must have went through about 10 pages of reviews before I found anything remotely close to a positive review...so you never know.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

There's a reason I say "from what I hear" instead of stating it as a fact, I'm aware of the difference, so thanks for pointing that out. :wink:

I don't follow online reviews, generally. There are often reviews from people who haven't tried it, but also a great deal of people still in their honeymoon period. The only people I actually trust are Rob Chappers on Youtube, a few guys who build amplifiers on another forum and some local musicians who also work as sound guys/technicians. Their recommendations carry serious weight for me. Even then, the "why" is more important than the "what". Calling a Fender amp bad because it doesn't have Death metal distortion would be a moot point.

I could explain why people complain about the cabinet in the way of materials/build but seeing as TR likes them there's little point to it. If you're happy, you're happy. I personally don't hear a sound difference between my average sound cables or Monster cables, it's all about what you want and what you're willing to pay.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Aint it the truth though. Well, I can say from experience now, the MG cab is made of particle board, is smaller and has no casters. It does have plastic handles and corner protectors ....... just like the $900 ones do. :lol: I read a review that complained the handles and corner protectors were plastic. The high end ones are plastic as well. It is every bit as visually appealing as it's expensive cousin and to my ears sounds fine. Good speakers cost and birch plywood is expensive. A good set of casters could easily run you $50. For $259 I got my moneys worth and I'm happy. Maybe some of the bad review folks had too high of expectations? For my money I was expecting four $50 ish speakers in a particle board cabinet. I'm happy. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Im glad to hear you like it!! Realy hard to beat for the price. For that green, it would be tough to build one yourself for less.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Ooooh.... That looks nice! :D

What's it covered in?
Looks reminiscent of a Blue Diamond Ampeg 8)

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

They call it carbon fiber. It is pretty. The new MG amps are supposed to be alot better than the old. I think they changed the covering so you could tell them apart although the buttons look different as well. I don't have those amps though, I'm pretty much all tube. I was just looking for a 4 x 12 on the cheap and figured Marshall would be voiced to best suite my Marshall Haze. It does. 8) I do like the classic look of the Haze's covering the best though.

ReplyQuote