Clear all

9's ver 10's /action ver sustain

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I guess I just want to take some sort of poll on "what various guitar players like when it comes to string gage and setup, and why."

I have 3 guitars currently and each one I've setup a little differently.
A Sebring I use 10's on... for D tuning for areally heavy if not dark edge... action set pretty low.
A Johnson by axl with 10's for tone... I've sacrificed action and speed on this guitar for tone and sustain.
And finally... Squier Strat. I use 9's on this guitar and a really low set action. I'm tell'en ya... the raunchy lic's spawned by that bugger...make people stop -n- stair!!

OK, I hope to here from you all!

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

(@1st_act)
Estimable Member

I've always had 9's on my strat. Definately been thinking of trying a set of 10's though.

M

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Don't use anything less than 12's on anything.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member

12's!! I think those are called rebar (concrete)

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

12's are tonaly unbeatable (if your fingers can handle 'em).

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I tend to use .050s 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'm always changing. I used 11's for years for the tone. Now I'm using 9's for the ease of play.

On down tunings you need heavy strings or they feel like rubber bands. But if you use standard tuning and you want to bend, go with 9's.

But ask me tomorrow and I'll have a different opinion. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

10's for a light feel on 25.5 in scale (Fenderish)
11's for a light feel on 24.75 in (Gibby)

but 11's or 12's if the guitar really seems to come alive -- any many do.

13's and larger if flatwound.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

9-42 D'Addario Nickels

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

How about hyrid 9/10s?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've been using 9's for awhile, but just picked up a Tele, and think I'll try 10's or 11's on it for open G & DADGAD tunings. Probably stick with the 9's on my Strat & LP though.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I use Half Round 13's on everything

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The difference between 9s en 10s is that with 10s there is a remote chance that I can play a song without snapping the first string whereas with a set of 9s I know for fact that I won't finish a tune with all strings intact. It's ridiculous, I know.

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

but 11's or 12's if the guitar really seems to come alive -- any many do

OK, so I'm not crazy. I've always felt that the three I do have... have incredible personality's and a lot of potential. I may accidentally... try some 11's on the Johnson. Maby a set of warm Supper Bullets??????
Witch brings me to a question! What effect will going to an 11 have on a stock nut... if any?????

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Stock nuts can usually handle strings a size up from what came on the guitar, but if you're going to jump up more than that you'll need to file them out.

If you have a set of nut files, just use the appropriate one and file it out yourself. If you don't, take it to your favorite luthier and they'll do it for you in about 20 seconds.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2