Clear all

A Familiar Tale of Bad GAS

31 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've showed this link before. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Riviera-Custom-P93-Electric-Guitar?sku=516284 It's an Epiphone P-93. The "P-93" part of the name stems from having three p-90s on it. Tempting just to the raging child in my brain. "More is better!" "Excesses are great!" That kind of thing.

It's a thin semi-hollow, with a double cut style that reminds me of a 335. Add the pretty gold trimming and I'm almost to the point of drool. Forcing me over the edge is the Bigsby type trem - my personal favorite - and it's time for a towel. I'm there.

This is all visual, and not even in person. I read the reviews and got a bit cautious. Sometimes those are good and sometimes bad, and it's up to you to determine which is which. The biggest and most common negatives were that it's a bit dark sounding and that the shim job getting the saddle into place was cheesy.

Let's face it. I may not be the last person around these parts that has any right to GAS, but I'm in the group photo, so to speak. I've already got a big hollow-body with my Gretsh Electromatic, and I've got a LP sized semi in my Xaviere 560. I've got three guitars with p-90s in them. Including my Uke, I've got 14 stringed instruments. One more if my son's bass doesn't travel with him come college time or whatever he decides to do. I do not need another guitar.

So, all that to get to this point. We were at the Farmer's Market again. We decided to go up through town to see some of the damage done first hand, which was typically brief, but awe inspiring, and she asks me if I wanted to go to the GC. Sure thing. I've been waiting for them to get some resonators back in stock. One legitimate hole in my arsenal, but still not a needed item. On the way into the Acoustic room, the wall full of gibson-epi-PRS is on the left. Evil jerks. No problems, though, although there were many pretty things. We got into the acoustic room to find the lone resonator despite promises of more coming into stock a month earlier. Oh well. Time to go home.

We stepped out of the acoustic room and decided to go down the other guitar wall. Historically, it's a much less dangerous place. sitting right smack at eye level, not 5 feet down the wall is an out of place Epi P-93. Holy crap!!!!! I got to hold it, inspect it, etc, etc. it looked marvelous and all the components appeared to be intact. That's when it hit me. I was looking at another electric guitar. What the heck? I placed it down, tried to walk out. I passed a rather sharp looking epi dot with some of those custom appointments. another topic, perhaps. Anyhow, I went back to the wall to see how close the Riviera body style was to the dot (which emulates a 335) and it seemed be shaped and sized the same.

As one could imagine, I was GAS'ing big time. I purposely did not play this guitar. I was too afraid. If I liked it, there's nothing that could have kept me from buying it. I can afford it. It would not have kept us from eating for a month. Irresponsible purchase? Probably, but a victimless crime (knock on wood) and a nice addition to the "family". I did do the prudent thing, though, and rushed back to the wall with guitar in hand and put it in it's previous home. Brad, the young salesman who leaves me alone and takes my money for the past couple of years there laughed again at my expense. I told him to leave me alone, again. It's become ritual.

We left the store, my wife had been through this with me before. The lamenting that I'm 40-something years old and still get hung up on toys. The lamenting that I already have too darned many toys as it is. We all have our own little things that we claim for ourselves that tell us we are not quite grown up. Our parents do too. I guess mine is simply GAS. It's much better than some other things men of my age could be going through in efforts to grow up or resist growing up. I played baseball and rode motorcycle as my middle age crisis instruments. Well, at least until my head and ear decided to play it's cards out and reduce my ability to do those activities to nothing. I even gave up smoking. That leaves me with just the guitar. More to the point, GAS. I'm not even sure I want to quit that. If everyone has something, this is pretty harmless, right?

That's the whole point of this right now for me. It's not a question of "Do I buy this guitar?" anymore. It's whether or not to stop the GAS thing, and that is what I've been pondering the past few days. Maybe I have hit my limit.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy I think there's a 12 step program for that GAS

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Roy. I get you. I mean I totally understand.
I would absolutely give in. the only thing stopping me
is that I am unemployed.
I play the heck out of the gear I do have.

that P93 sounds interesting. does it have real F holes or painted?
if they were real , how's the feedback sensitivity?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Real f-holes. I didn't plug it in. did not even look to see it they had my amp out. No idea on the feedback. For home use, I'm probably fine. I do get a bit of feedback in the office if I'm playing and singing through my Keyboard amp with any volume. But, it's a really small room.

I've got a couple that don't make it into the rotation that much. well, one. I have it set up and tuned for music my son listens to and wants to play every 6 months. All the other ones get ample time. The Uke might be the one I need to spend more time on. Especially with that song book you sent.

I'm already 14 steps into that 12 step program, cnev. :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think you need it .... maybe I'll get one. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You would do that, wouldn't you. You've probably started the local search. Beat Roy at the gas thing. Cause them GAS pains to really rumble & spasm. :lol:

Meanwhile, I get a GC email yesterday. 10% off sale. Oh Boy! Wrong. Epiphone part of the excluded manufactures. Jerks. Heck, I could probably talk them down 10%, and get that OTD just on my own.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Just watch out for that "pretty gold trim" I have it on my Epi LP and it's cheap it tranished and faded very quickly on a guitar I barely use. I was not happy about that.

Other than that the guitar looks nice unfortunately I don't play jazz, blues or country much so it wouldn't be a guitar for me but I approve your GAS.

Just go buy it now it's only going to keep you thinking about it if you don't.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just watch out for that "pretty gold trim" I have it on my Epi LP and it's cheap it tranished and faded very quickly on a guitar I barely use. I was not happy about that.
Part of the charm for me. shows a bit of character. Usage, perhaps, although it's not caused by usage. Still better than buying one of those "pre worn" numbers IMHO. Still, it everything was the same, say, on an American Tele and something "worn", but the "worn" wasn't selling and became 890% of the Standard price, would it be worth the embarrassment? I'd be thinking of getting it, clearing out all the hardware, tieing it to my Retreiver's tail and walk him up an down the street to really make it worn. Anyhow......
If I didn't already have two Epi LPs, I'd offer up a trade of some sort. Still my favorite. :D
Just go buy it now it's only going to keep you thinking about it if you don't.
Yeah, that point is valid in many ways. Fortunately, a positive side effect of my current regimen reduces that factor. Not eliminate, but reduced some. I still have that link open in another window. :)

I'm also still holding out hope that a 335 shaped guitar becomes available at a price like that Xaviere 560 I just got. It would still be a tough decision. I have been eyeing this p93 for so long.....

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I guess we all have differnt tastes but on my LP everything looks like new except for the tarnished/cheaply plated gold harware.

If the guitar looked worn and the hardware matched that would be cool I like the looks of worn out guitars, but with the hardware being the way it is it just looks like they used cheap plating which I'm sure they did.

Of course nothing says worn out like dropping it out of your bag onto the road like I did last year... :roll:

Oh yea you might as well forget about that one now anyway I think TR already bought it :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Roy, you can't stop the GAS. Go get that guitar. Right now, before somebody else snags it. You've been lusting over the P-93, and one falls into your hands -- the Guitar Gods are telling you something. The Lords of Karma are smiling. Moments like this don't come around that often.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Actually Crow I think that's the problem moments like this come around alot for Roy... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Roy, you can't stop the GAS. Go get that guitar. Right now, before somebody else snags it. You've been lusting over the P-93, and one falls into your hands -- the Guitar Gods are telling you something. The Lords of Karma are smiling. Moments like this don't come around that often.

:lol: :lol:

yes - it would be rude not to... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

the Guitar Gods are telling you something.

Indeed!

Hey, what's better than a P90 pickup in a guitar?

THREE P90 pickups in a guitar! 8) 8) 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Roy, these are tough economic times. :(

You have a duty to behave responsibly..... :|

What could be more responsible that stimulating the poor old economy? Buying gear is almost a patriotic duty... isn't it? :wink:

That's my excuse anyway.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh yea you might as well forget about that one now anyway I think TR already bought it :wink:
:lol: Nah! Not my cup of tea but it is a pretty guitar. We do play a couple of songs it would be good for though ..... :? My next gas is drums. Tommy's boy has his drums. He didn't have a throne or sticks so I fixed him up. Gave him the throne I had along with the remaining sets of sticks. Gonna order an entry level kit in a few weeks so we have them to mess with and then we can start trying to audition a drummer. It's easier to get a drummer to try out with you if they don't have to drag a whole drum set out here for a question mark.

I think you would look good with that guitar Roy. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3