Skip to content
a general observati...

Notifications
Clear all

a general observation about the guitar from a beginner...

31 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

That intro's played with a slide in an open tuning on a resonator guitar.

I don't believe that's correct.
The version they play on the local "classic rock" station clearly has a slide reso in it. Nothing else sounds like that.

Did you click the link to the YouTube video? That's the standard music video for the single version, and the video clearly shows him picking his way down the fretboard with a pick. It sounds that way, too.

It does sound kinda like a resonator once it gets to the little A C D F D riff before the first chords, so perhaps the verses are played on one, but I don't think it's a slide. Is there an example online of the version you're referring to?

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I have to agree with Progressions here. The intro is definitely fingerpicked or flatpicked on a 12 string. There is some resonator superimposed over the pre-verse riff. I'll tab it out when I get home from work.

Obsessions? My wife often complains that I spend too much time with my "girlfriends". Well hey, I've been playing for about 23 years or so. You don't just break up a relationship like that. :P

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't want to get into this too heavily since I'm not a Bon Jovi fan and don't know much about them or their music, but I've heard the song on the radio with a reso at the beginning and I think some more here and there during it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

I don't want to get into this too heavily since I'm not a Bon Jovi fan and don't know much about them or their music, but I've heard the song on the radio with a reso at the beginning and I think some more here and there during it.

I just meant that you could click the link to the YouTube, which (unless there are some funky remixes out there) is most likely the version you've heard on the radio, and see if it matches what you're remembering. Did you check it out?

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Either way ..... anyhow my tab writing skills are non-existant, so for anyone who cares (Claudine?) I am playing in the key of D so the verse goes something like D-C-G-C-G-F-D (on the simple version I found) - and for the verse I hit low F and then walk up to the simplified F chord and then in the chorus I am sliding down from A to G to F and playing the barre version (Lord knows I need the practice :oops: )

Yes, it's in the key of D

You got the chords right, but instead of a C, I play a Cadd 9 (x32033), much easier to switch to the G chords and that's actually the way Richie's play it live.

For the chorus:
Cadd9 - G - F - D
Cadd9 - G - D and after that, when they sing Dead or alive:

----------------------2-------------
----------------------3------------
----------------------2-------------
------------3b---------------------
--3b--0----------------------------
------------------------------------

Dead or----A---------live

Then, again: Cadd9 -G - G (but just the first 4 string: xx0033) and the riff that I write

For the solo, you search for the acoustic one of the electric?

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

As promised, here's a link to the tab for the intro:

http://download.yousendit.com/02B06E603EB7C3D7

Off the record: we used to cover this song in the late eighties. Ugh! I still remember the lyrics. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

wow :shock: the intent was not exactly to hijack the thred - sorry! guess the short answer is that everybody here is obsessed with guitar one way or the other? :wink:

Claudine :shock: you have some long fingers, I am happy just to land that basic C chord unless absolutely necessary!

... OK OK like I said, I never really like this song but became obsessed with it for whatever reason :roll: - at least only semi-obsessed now that I figured it out and am going back to the painfully boring basics like smooth chord changes, clearly ringing notes and nailing that everlasting pain of an F :evil:

... and therefore already searching for the next fix :twisted: thinking maybe I have time to learn one more carol before Christmas?

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Claudine :shock: you have some long fingers, I am happy just to land that basic C chord unless absolutely necessary!

I made an error. I wrote: Cadd9 (320033), but that's a G :oops: I meant: Cadd9 (x32033)

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well shoot! I've got the wrong song in mind. I'm thinking of Blaze of Glory that has the slide intro! (Told you I'm not very familiar with Bon Jovi.) I found a video on YouTube that shows the slide part being played on an old dreadnought, but it sure sounds like a reso. Dunno what effects may have contributed to that, if it is a dreadnought.

Sorry about that! :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Probably not effects but a video producer who insisted on a dreadnought 'cause he didn't know any better or due to video clips from concert footage where he used a dreadnought.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That sounds reasonable.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Here's a little tip to make things easier on "Wanted - Dead Or Alive."

When you come out of the intro, play the D chord by making a mini-barre across the E B and G strings with your 2nd finger, and put your ring finger on the B string, 3rd fret. This makes it easier to go into the Cadd9 - little finger on 1st string, 3rd fret, ring finger remaining where it is - then the G chord - both fingers in the same place as for the Cadd9 chord.

Works for me, anyway!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Just to make things a little more clear...

Blaze Of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi
Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi

That's right, but they made Blaze of Glory "Bon Jovi" later when they put it on their Best Of CD called Crossroad.

But originally, like you said, it's a song from Jon Bon Jovi for the movie Young Guns :wink:

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Oh, I never bought a Bon Jovi album, just remember watching them on MTV in 87-91. I'm surprised Richie didn't quit when Jon started putting his solo stuff on the band's album.

He put Blaze of glory only and I think that Richie didn't quit because the song was good ( :wink: ) and they both deal with solo effort of each member of the group.

When I went to their show in Montreal, Richie sang Stranger in this town, which is a song from his solo album and it was a NICE performance

So I think there's no problem for them to share their solo effort with the band. (When Richie did a solo tour, Tico Torres, the drummer of Bon Jovi, and David Bryan, keybord player of BJ, were with him on tour)

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It happened in every band I've been in that someone or other would drag in solo guitar/piano songs they wrote earlier for themselves. If it's a good song I don't see the problem.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3