Notifications
Clear all

A little comparison shopping.

39 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

In Canada, and in the US states that I have visited, the sales tax is typically added at the time of purchase. It allows for advertising a lower price.

It also makes for a certain amount of shock when you see the final bill.

Here in Manitoba, sales taxes (yes plural) applied at the cash register are 7% Provincial sales tax, and 6% GST (federal tax).

So that $179 '51 squire strat I saw at Long & Mcquade actually would cost me $202.27 Canadian ($ 192.40 in USD, or £94.71)

It's not as bad as when our dollar was worth $0.70USD, but it's still not a $99 guitar

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Chris

Did you take in the 10% GST ?

And isn't there another tax ?

All imported goods carry another tax if I am right ?
Sincerly sorry if I wrong there { lil Johnny :lol: } yeah right ..

So if you didn't allow for GST one can add $1 per $10 for GST ..

$1,000 guitar becomes a $1,100 guitar {example}

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Ok
I have just imported a baseball glove from the US.
http://www.shoplift.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2907264/vpcsid/0/SFV/31006
Here the only one I could find was a left hand throw model at £85 + £6 delivery (£91 - $180ish). I found the right handed version above for $74 + $30 ($104 - £53), thought that was a decent deal as I understood import charges to be 2.5% and then VAT at 17.5% which I made to be about £11, yet the full import duty was £19.50 ( $39 ) still saved me about £15 though. So it is possible to save money this way, even better if you get lucky and the duty gets missed, I'm never that lucky though. On a slightly related note, would an American member mind finding out the postage for this http://www.amazon.com/Rawlings-Glove-Break-In-Kit/dp/B000MQIUVS I have been quoted $30 for a $10 item!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris

Did you take in the 10% GST ?

So if you didn't allow for GST one can add $1 per $10 for GST ..

$1,000 guitar becomes a $1,100 guitar {example}

Yes mate, the $1,000.00 I quoted for the Yamaha already included GST.

Not sure about what import duties and so on that we get slugged here, but they'd already be included too, of course.

Some of the stuff we get here really isn't too bad. It mostly seems to be the big name US gear that's noticeably higher. For, instance I bought a new Strat copy with two humbuckers and one single coil a few months ago. It came with a few odds and ends including a 15 watt practice amp that's really quite a decent little unit. All new at a total of Aus$240. Probably even cheaper in the US, but most people here would earn that money in one day.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

As far as I'm aware if you buy guitar from the US for import into the UK you should not pay US taxes. You will however be liable to import duty and I think VAT as well. And that includes the shipping fee. All of a sudden that cheap guitar doesn't look so cheap. At least the £/$ exchange rate is working in our favour at the moment.

Sadly it's not limited to guitars where the prices are higher. Pretty much everything is more expensive here than in the States. You could argue that the market is larger over there - supply and demand - but I still think it's difficult to justify the huge differences in prices.

Don't get me started on the difference in price of music downloads. :twisted:

The UK is referred to as Treasure Island. Absolutely nothing to do with our climate or palm lined sandy beaches. :twisted:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

In Canada, and in the US states that I have visited, the sales tax is typically added at the time of purchase. It allows for advertising a lower price.

It also makes for a certain amount of shock when you see the final bill.
Here in Bristol, Tennessee the sales tax adds on 9.25%.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Vic -- what's the reason? Trade tarifs?

I don't know, but it seems to be right across the board - not just a few selected guitars. I suppose part of the difference might be down to shipping costs, but surely not an 80% difference in real terms? There are fluctuations in UK dealer prices, but I reckon the average prices for the guitars I mentioned wouldn't differ by much more than a few per cent. Import duty, perhaps? I'd love to know how the price of a guitar is broken down - how much is profit for the retailer, how much goes to the government coffers etc.

I know a couple of years ago, we did a little comparison shopping when we were in America - cigarettes, for instance, cost about 1/2 as much in the USA as the UK. Food also seemed very cheap. A pair of jeans I bought over there cost $25 - at the time, I was paying around £40 (About $72 then) in the UK! A common complaint over there was the price of Gas (Petrol to us Brits) which cost less than a 1/3 of the UK prices! However, I didn't have - for comparison - any idea of the average wage in the US to compare to UK wages. Maybe UK-made goods imported to the US are expensive?

Still, it strikes me somebody's getting rich - and us poor guitarists are getting poorer!

:D :D :D

Vic It's our way of getting even for the outrageous prices we have to pay for a bottle of decent scotch :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Its the same story here. I went to a Fender approved shop and it was selling Standard Squier lefty strat (strange to find...but I did) for Rs. 17000 or equal to 380 $ approx (Sells on MF for 230 $).

Whereas on MF, I am getting a Fender Standard Strat for 400 $ new.

A Fender Standard Strat here will cost me Rs. 30,000 which is equal to 680 $.

Talk 'bout prices. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

The pricing plot thickens.
Steve O's post about Canadian vs US pricing got me curious. I knew Fender entry level and Godin pricing were comparable ^^. Then I found pricing for PRS SE and Ibanez Artcore from a Toronto shop's website. I compared those prices to Musician's Friend. Again, pretty much a sawoff; after exchange, PRS are 5% more here and the Artcore about 10% more.
So 4 different brands and similar pricing in Canada and the US.
But when it came to Gibson. Youch!
The two models I priced for Steve O were about 50% more expensive here! One 320 US more, the other 300 US more. Buddy, I don't blame you for going to Buffalo!
Hate to quote myself, but I wanted to provide an update. :P
The Gibson guitars I priced for Steve O were in the 5-6 hundred $US range.
I just ordered a Fender bass that's 559 US at Musician's Friend and 645 CAN from my local shop. The 2 currencies are presently pretty much at par. So, more than it should be, but still less than 20% higher here. I'm willing to pay that premium to shop locally.
How Gibson get away with their Canadian pricing is beyond me. Something like 75% of our population lives with 100 miles of the US border. Make an afternoon of it and save big!

Don

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3