A new guitar and a lot of doubts

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I want to update/upgrade my gear and was reading this site and some reviews over internet. I also visited a couple of stores looking for the "real feeling" but I need some reinforcement :)

At the beginning I didn't know if I wanted an electric or acoustic (now I play a classical guitar). I was reading and it seems that the Yamaha Pacifica is a good option for a beginner as me (some GN members recommend as the first electric guitar). Then, I was to the store and asked for a beginner-mid guitar. The seller recommended some brands (Fender, Ibanez, etc.) and the Yamaha Pacifica: the 612 and 812 (the top of the Pacificas). They told that both are very good guitars, similar to more expensive guitars from other brands (he compared the 812 to some expensive Fenders).

I was playing the 612 (I really think that the 812 is not for me... or not yet) and it was a little "uncomfortable" for me. I don't know how to explain the feeling. I never played an electric. The neck is much thinner than my classical. The body is also thin. The strings also are softer and thinner... I don't know, I tried to put some chords and was a very strange feeling. However, I like to look!

I think that the amp also contributed to. It was a Line 6 (I don't remember the model) with a lot of effects that I tried to eliminate to hear the guitar as clean as possible. But...

Now I am considering an acoustic guitar. Again I've read the site and internet looking for recommendations and here there are three new brands: Seagull, Takamine and Yamaha (also Martin, Tailor, and so on, but I try to maintain near to 300-400€).

I visited another store and I discovered the Seagull and its wonderful sound! :shock:

The seller also recommends this guitar over the other brands (and similar models, obviously). He played a Seagull S6 and a Yamaha CPX15 and the sound was completely different! The Yamaha's small box makes the difference but I think the Seagull wood also contributes.

He recommended a S6. I ask for a S6+ Folk (folk, parlor or concert size) but he said that it shouldn't be the first acoustic guitar (mainly by the tone) he recommends the dreadnought size.

I have a lot of dudes now. Is it normal my feeling with an electric? I like the acoustic sound very much and also the acoustic music (usually I prefer the acoustic version of the same song) but I don't know if an steel acoustic contributes in something, I am playing a nylon acoustic now. Are enough different the styles?

I know the answer could be "buy and play both" or "it is your decision" but all your comments, suggestions and ideas are welcome :)

Thanks a lot.
Nuno

EDIT: I've fixed a mistake in the caption. I must improve my English. Sorry.

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Nuno, I'm no expert on guitars, but I can say that the nylon string acoustic and the steel string acoustic are very different in sound and feel. Quite a few GN members speak highly of the Seagull guitars.

I started on a nylon string guitar (because it was easiest on my fingertips), then switched to a steel string acoustic, and then added an electric. Electric is what I play the most now, by far. I still enjoy playing the steel string acoustic now and then, but I have sold the nylon string guitar since I rarely used it.

You would get accustomed to the thinner strings and neck of the electric.

But it all depends on what types of music you'd most like to play.

My advice is to spend more time at the stores trying out the various options. Don't rush into any decision. The stores are used to people hanging out for extended periods as they consider such a major purchase.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with margaret, here. Try several different guitars, both electric and acoustic - shut your eyes and listen to the sound as well as get the "feel" of the instrument.

By the way, I'd hit the salesman, if I caught him, the S6 Folk is a lovely guitar and is as good for a beginner as a more experienced guitarist. In fact, for you, the smaller body may make the transition to steel string acoustic (if that's what you decide on) easier, as it's closer to the shape of a classical guitar. Oh, and it's not quiet, like many people want to make out.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your kindly answers!

I'll visit the stores again and will give a new opportunity to the electric guitars :)

I usually hear (almost) all types of music (I dislike -curiously- Latin and Caribbean rhythms and some singer-sonwriters). One of my favorite bands is Scorpions. (Margaret, I read in another post that you used to hear the "Best of". Please, let me recommend the "Acoustica" album, CD and DVD versions. Do you know it?) I also hear rock, classic rock, pop, funky... for example, I re-discovered to Sheryl Craw this month.

I'd like to play all this types of music and, for this reason, I don't know if an electric guitar will give me more "range" with the different effects that can be applied. But I really like the steel string sound and, I agree, the sound is completely different to the nylon strings. I was reviewing my favorite songs and most of them includes the steel string sound (iTunes helped me to do the task!).

I was also considering electric guitars that include acoustic pickups (not "electro-acoustic" or "electrified"), in particular a Peavey and a Jackson... or a Ibanez :? The sound in the acoustic mode is "similar to" but isn't an acoustic.

On the other hand, Greybeard, (by the way, I used to use your advices on "improving chord changes", very funny and useful, thanks a lot!) I agree the S6 Folk can be a very good alternative for me. I think the salesman was referring to the sound that can be produced with the different models and sizes. He also made some comments about the jumbos. Probably I didn't explain so well. His recommendation or comment was "generic". A beginner can associate the "acoustic sound" to the dreadnought size and other models have different sound, ranges and "timbres".

Anyway, thank you very much!
Nuno

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The next episode :)

Yesterday I went to a new store with a very kindly salesman. We are speaking some minutes on my dudes on electric versus acoustic guitars and he recommended again a Seagull S6. I was playing, in this order, a Art&Lutherie (very good guitar), a Seagull S6 and a Yamaha CPX500. Definitely, I have to forgot these Yamahas, it would seem like a toy guitar when I played after the Seagull.

While I was playing each guitar I remembered your advices and tried to listen to the sound and also "feel" the guitar: the vibrations into my body, the feel of the neck, how do I adapt to each guitar... Probably, the Seagull S6 is my acoustic guitar, really I like it! :)

But... I made an error: I was playing also an Epiphone Les Paul (I think the Standard model) and was an experience completely different to the Yamaha Pacifica. Probably, as I was playing before the acoustics for a half hour or it wasn't my first electric. Anyway, I also liked very much the sound and the feeling.

They had to close the store so the salesman told me return again but on the morning, there are less clients. Tomorrow I'll be back.

Must I buy both? :lol:

Tomorrow I will play the LP and also more electrics. Yesterday I only played a couple of minutes, however, the feeling was great!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yes, you should get the both if you are not hurting your bank balance badly...

Btw, playing a classical guitar is a great feeling (and soundwise of course).Once you learn how to play fingerstyle, you will always keep coming to the ol' nylon string.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Rahul!

I think I will both and even several electric guitars but not now. The bank balance is a small problem compared to the space! I live in a small apartment and I have too many hobbies! I used to collect things and, probably, currently I'm starting my new guitar collection. :D

I agree, classical guitars are great too. My old Ramirez has a sweet and warm sound even with its intonation problems. When I buy the new guitar, I will look for a good luthier.

Nuno

PS. The process is concluding. Probably I will make a decision next week.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Finally I I got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, the Honey Burst color. I was playing and comparing several alternatives: a couple of Mexican Fender Strato, a Washburn, other Les Paul models... acoustic Fenders, Seagulls, Yamahas, Takamines, the famous Washburn D10S, but I love the LP since first time I played!

I like the Seagull S6 also but since I own a classical acoustic guitar, I prefer to give a chance to an electric. The kind or style of music with acoustics are more similar than the electric. Probably I will buy a Seagull next year. (Graham, the folk size is pretty good for me, it is very similar to my old Ramirez, and it sounds great. Thank you very much.)

Thanks for you attention and advices. I think the best one was Go and play guitars!, really it dispelled my doubts. Sometimes the beginners used to ask for a solution when only we have the answer.

I hope these comments help to other beginner buyers.

Thanks again!
Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Congrats on the purchase! I hope you enjoy it!

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote