Clear all

A Pro Jr. must be pretty loud...

34 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was cranking away on my Pro Jr (both settings on 5) at 12:30 in the morning and some guy (my neighbor) started banging (really, really loud) on my window. I'm home by myself and I had no idea who it was, so I yelled really meanly (What the (expletive) do you want?)
He yelled back something - I'm not sure because I couldn't HEAR him. I chilled out and went to the door thinking maybe it was my uncle. Nope, I got this dude I never talked to in my life telling me that he couldn't take this anymore. That him and "all" my other neighbors are sick of it. IT'S A 15 WATT AMP ON 5!!! Just wait until I buy a Hot Rod Dx... :x

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Feeling the love in the 'hood are we? :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Stupid hood - have they not ever heard of a telephone? I had no idea that my little practice amp can go from house to house.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

That's why I couldn't even get a 5 watt tube amp, unless I added an attenuator. My wife would kill me. Those things are loud!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sound travels very well, particularly at night (and I'm sure someone here with a physics background might explain why). But also certain frequencies. When I lived in Chicago, you could hear radios and stereos from three or four houses away, depending on their volume and on the atmospheric conditions.

And a lot of the old houses were not built to contain the sounds that we can now create with electronic speakers. Many of them, in fact, help to conduct sound.

And, of course, some people are more susceptable to certain sounds than others.

You can, if you're truly interested, have a friend play your guitar and amp while you go outside and listen, but that doesn't take into account a lot of things.

A good rule of thumb is, unless you live a good distance from any neighbor or have a soundproof room, to be mindful of the noise levels anytime after ten at night.

All of this is, of course, null and void if your whole purpose for writing is simply to vent at your neighbor or your living situation. After all, all that I've mentioned is pure common knowledge.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Tube amps always seem louder for some reason - at least for me. I've had my tiny little 1x10 MusicMan RD50 (50 watt) combo since...well, since I bought it new in 1979 or so, and have hardly ever had it over 2. Man that thing is LOUD! 'Course you're talking just 5 watts, but still, if I were going to not use my POD and decided to get an amp for open air practice, I guess I'd have to get one of those microwatt amps; the ones that are tube, but like .5 watt or something.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah David, I was just venting... :lol: I didn't appreciate the 6 or 7 loud knocks, I could tell they were aggressive.
Tube amps always seem louder for some reason - at least for me. I've had my tiny little 1x10 MusicMan RD50 (50 watt) combo since...well, since I bought it new in 1979 or so, and have hardly ever had it over 2. Man that thing is LOUD! 'Course you're talking just 5 watts, but still, if I were going to not use my POD and decided to get an amp for open air practice, I guess I'd have to get one of those microwatt amps; the ones that are tube, but like .5 watt or something.

Actually, it's a 15 watt. The funny thing is that I had the volume on at 5 and the whole time (half an hour :roll:) I was thinking I need more crunch. But I was too lazy to walk across the room. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yeah David, I was just venting... :lol: I didn't appreciate the 6 or 7 loud knocks, I could tell they were aggressive.

Actually, it's a 15 watt. The funny thing is that I had the volume on at 5 and the whole time (half an hour :roll:) I was thinking I need more crunch. But I was too lazy to walk across the room. :lol:

I'm sure the guy didn't appreciate you playing at 12:30 in the AM so loud that he felt he needed to come tell you to turn it down. There is another isde of this story.

You keep saying "it's only a 15 watt amp."

A 15 watt amp is half as loud as a 150 watt amp, all things being equal. 15 watts is more than enough to play a serious gig at a small club.

Depending on how the amp is wired, setting it on '5' may be producing 80% or more of the total possible volume of the amp. Those dials rarely provide for linear increase in decibel output.

15 watts can be very loud. And at night when people are trying to sleep, it can be very inconsiderate. Buy yourself an attenuator, or better yet, some headphones, if you feel you have to play at midnight with the thing cranked up enough that it's audible outside your home.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There is no headphone jack on a pro jr. The volume goes to 12. I have a telephone and a doorbell. I'll have to look into an attenuator, although it seems kinda funny to use one with a pro jr. Would it even work with a pro jr? Also, I just mentioned it was a 15 watt amp once. The second time was to correct Demo because he thought I said 5 watt.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I have a telephone and a doorbell.

Absolutely the right point. Not a big deal for a neighbor to ask you to turn it down at 12:30 AM. You didn't realize they could hear. All it takes is a phone call or to come to your door and say "Hey man, do you realize that your amp is really loud and it's really late?" I know I would go, "Oh man, sorry! I didn't realize it was that loud."

But when someone leads as a total jerk, they get jerk back. What's the old saying? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

But when someone leads as a total jerk, they get jerk back. What's the old saying? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Yeah, another old saying is "do onto others as you'd have them do onto you . .."

I'll let you in on a secret, most people want to get along with their neighbors, so they don't come over and ring the doorbell at first, they try and ignore the inconsiderate person blasting music in the middle of the night. But after an hour or two of not being able to sleep, they then come over to complain. It's a mistake waiting until you're really steamed to complain, but you lay there hoping the guy will get a clue and realize that there are people who have to wake up in 2 or 3 hours to go to work. So because the neighbor is trying not to complain and trying not to make a scene, they'll wait till they're really pissed. It's a mistake, but it's usually made for the sake of keeping relationships between neighbors friendly. After all, it's a lot better to stop by at 6 in the evening and say "Hey, I wanted to mention that you've been keeping me up all night till 2 am with your guitar playing and I'd really appreciate it if you'd not do that again." than to come over and say "Would you please stop what you're doing?"
The former just seems a bit more neighborly.

Was the guy out of line pounding and being a jerk? Sure. But I can see why he'd be mad. I've been kept from going to sleep by inconsiderate neighbors before when I had to be at work at oh-dark-thirty in the morning.

Responding in kind has a great potential to escalate the situation while responding with a bit of sympathy and humility has a great potential to defuse things.

"Just wait until I get my super-big-super-loud amplenator" as a follow on leads me to expect visits from police in the near future . . .

I don't care if it goes to 12 . . . volume dials are almost never representative of a linear increase in output decibels and 15 watts can put out some serious sound.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll let you in on a secret, most people want to get along with their neighbors, so they don't come over and ring the doorbell at first, they try and ignore the inconsiderate person blasting music in the middle of the night. But after an hour or two of not being able to sleep, they then come over to complain. It's a mistake waiting until you're really steamed to complain, but you lay there hoping the guy will get a clue and realize that there are people who have to wake up in 2 or 3 hours to go to work. So because the neighbor is trying not to complain and trying not to make a scene, they'll wait till they're really pissed. It's a mistake, but it's usually made for the sake of keeping relationships between neighbors friendly. After all, it's a lot better to stop by at 6 in the evening and say "Hey, I wanted to mention that you've been keeping me up all night till 2 am with your guitar playing and I'd really appreciate it if you'd not do that again." than to come over and say "Would you please stop what you're doing?"

OK - that makes sense.
Was the guy out of line pounding and being a jerk? Sure. But I can see why he'd be mad. Responding in kind has a great potential to escalate the situation while responding with a bit of sympathy and humility has a great potential to defuse things.

I never said I was mean to the guy when I went to the door. I pretty much said "Oh man, sorry! I didn't realize it was that loud."
He just got screamed at instantly when I didn't even know who it was or what he wanted. It could of been my grandma or a murderer for all I knew. Don't over do it on the knocking. LOL :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I mostly use a 15W cube amp, in the house I've never had it cranked above about 1.5 - loud enough for me to hear....if I use it late at night, well that's what headphones are for - I fell out with a neighbour one time, he said I was playing way too loud - I didn't think so, but I agreed to turn the volume down.....all he had to do was ask, which he did - in a polite manner, so I was happy to oblige.

I've used the same amp in the local pub, I think I needed it turned all the way up to about 3....

remember, what sounds good to you might be a real pain in the ears to your neighbour.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

remember, what sounds good to you might be a real pain in the ears to your neighbour.....

If it's me playing, I can pretty much guarantee it :)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a teensy-weensy 1W tube amp that goes into a 12" Fane speaker. I bet that, if I turned it up at 00:30, I'd get about 10 minutes playing time before the Polizei appeared at my door.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3