Notifications
Clear all

A Pro Jr. must be pretty loud...

34 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

hmmm, 1 watt, that's be fun to mess around with, i think.

i have a Vox tube-hybrid type thinger. the Valvetronix. i keep my master volume cranked at all times, but there's than handy-dandy attenuator at the back there. i keep t hat maxed at about 5 or 6 watts at all times. it keeps it at a decent volume so that my neighbors and family dont get annoyed. and it helps preserve the tone. i also have a 25 watt Ibanez troubadour that has yet to go about 1 on the volume dial.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

I use a twin reverb reissue and most of the time I have to set the volume on about .5 which is about where it actualy kicks in and then use a pedal to pull the volume down farther. occasionally when no ones around (about twice a week) I can crank it up to 3 or so. but then I don't use it for distortion anyway. It's great for clean stuff. on the pluss side since I don't drive the tubes very hard they've lasted forever this is currently the second year on the original tubes.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Sound travels very well, particularly at night (and I'm sure someone here with a physics background might explain why).

Long ago in my deep dark past I was a physics undergrad on my way to being an astrophysicist. At night the air is generally colder and cold air is denser and so conducts sound better. There is also less other background noise (traffic, people talking, birds, etc.) to mask the noise that you are making.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nez,

I had a similar experience in my apartment ansd I had a small 15W amp. my problem was it was in the middle of a Sunday afternoon and there were screaming kids outside skatebording.

And the neighbor didn't have the decency to come over himself, instead they called the police to come by.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A 5W amp through a typical small combo speaker is about as loud as a person can scream or a trumpet player can blow. When I crank my Valve Junior, it gets my wife in the door yelling to turn it down, and I can't hear her at all while I'm still playing. I turn it down before the rolling pins and frying pans come out. They don't work so well with head shaped dents in them.

Typical AC/DC AM tube table radios of the '40s and '50s with single output tubes like 50L6 or 50C5 have an output of 150 mW, and they can get quite obnoxiously loud, even with the little speakers they came with.

It makes a lot more sense to me to start with a little amp if you want to crank it for home play than to buy a big amp and then spend even more on an attenuator to crank it. Trouble is, there's nothing on the general commercial market that's small enough. 5W is still a lot of power.

I have a great idea to solve this problem, but too many other things I need or want to work on now. I'll get a round tuit and report back, eventually...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol, he probably rang the doorbell and you didn't hear it, hahah.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol wtf. I keep doing that.

Hyperborea, how the heck did you manage to find this post. Like I said in another thread, "you guys are really diggin' them up."

With ya on the going deaf thing Nez.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I'm kind of paranoid now. I live in an apartment and have a 15 watt Blues Junior. I typically have the volume on 3 and master on 7, but my guitar's volume real low around 3. Now I've turned the master down to 3 and and the guitar full up for about the same volume, but a slight difference in tone. Anyway, I try to keep it at a reasonable level. Nobody's complained yet. Maybe they just like my playing. But actually, I think the complex has pretty thick walls because I very, very rarely ever hear my neighbors.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, you will get different sounds with different combinations of guitar and amp volume.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It makes a lot more sense to me to start with a little amp if you want to crank it for home play than to buy a big amp and then spend even more on an attenuator to crank it. Trouble is, there's nothing on the general commercial market that's small enough. 5W is still a lot of power.
What about ZVex? Or a Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine (if you can still find one).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Keeping your windows and doors closed can also make a big difference on the sound that can get out of your room....
Although if you're really cranking it to begin with, this difference might only be small..

I have trouble doing this in summer because it gets too hot, but in winter i can close all the windows and not melt..

Put yourself in your neighbours shoes and you should be able to understand his frustration.

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

A similar thing happened to me when I was a freshman in college but I wasn't using a guitar I was using my NEW stereo. I already had 2 home made speakers with some 12" woofers and so I bought a Reciever/Amp and boy was I set. I was jamming away around 1 or 2 am and I could barely hear a strange noise so I turned the volume down and someone was POUNDING on my door. I opened the door and my neighbor was standing there in his underwear and he was PISSED. Anyway, I apologized and he never spoke to me again. Yep I was young and dumb. Now atleast I'm not young anymore.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

I live across the street from a drummer and I'm the only neighbor
who will talk to him without complaining.

Nobody has said anything too me about my guitar playing being too
loud except my wife.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Hyperborea, how the heck did you manage to find this post. Like I said in another thread, "you guys are really diggin' them up."

Well, NEZTOK put a link to this thread in my post yesterday about looking to buy a tube amp for home and jam use. I followed it and I guess I didn't bother to check the dates. It has convinced me to look into getting an attenuator.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

This thread is over a year old, back before I revealed to everyone that David Hodge and Paul Hackett are one of the same and consequencely getting banned. :wink:

You never see them at a party together,... come to think of it i've never seen Rahul and Nick together either... :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3