Notifications
Clear all

A small step for mankind...

29 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Congrats, that sounds like a really fun project, i've always wanted to record my own music but i haven't really put the time in.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Musically it's not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the effort that went in to it and it's superbly put together. It's nice to hear songs that are different flowing into each other so well. Good job!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

People, I have to admit the 'nipple' was intended indeed to be a nose sneezing out stars. But nipples are fine with me, too. :D

Dogbite: yeah, Groningen is a great little place. Lots and lots of music happening here too, quite the quiet and 'inspirational' town. :)

Laz: Thanks, will do.

Jim: 'inde' became two words in the Dutch language 250+ years ago: 'in de'='in the'. So the title translates to: 'Welcome in the Space Banana ', which is what the pic shows, a shot taken from inside a space banana. Whatever a space banana might actually be, but during the production of the first song I kinda considered it to be a spacy banana'ish sound. Puzzling fruits, bananas. Some things are just hard to explain sanely with words... :P Anyway, if there are any other vocals or words unclear or in weird languages, let me know and I'll translate.

Izabella: Thanks. It's indeed intended to be listened in one 'session', and things do get kinda more sane as the album continues. Glad you could appreciate some.

Robbie: Hehe, don't think this is an 'old vs young' kinda thing, it's in general just weird music that a lot of people do not find too enjoyable, and that's fine with me. And yeah, it's kinda weird that there are hardly any guitar tracks at all, somehow they just don't make the cut, yet. But big fat chances that the next project will feature a lot more guitar.

Misanthrope: Thanks for the comments. As you can hear I'm drifting around a lot at the moment, trying to find 'my style'. Too bad this doesn't match up to your taste, but maybe my next project will. :)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Jim: 'inde' became two words in the Dutch language 250+ years ago: 'in de'='in the'. So the title translates to: 'Welcome in the Space Banana ', which is what the pic shows, a shot taken from inside a space banana. Whatever a space banana might actually be, but during the production of the first song I kinda considered it to be a spacy banana'ish sound. Puzzling fruits, bananas. Some things are just hard to explain sanely with words... :P Anyway, if there are any other vocals or words unclear or in weird languages, let me know and I'll translate.

Arjen - Thanks for the language lesson. I am fascinated by language. I often thought if I have been more disciplined in school I would have wanted to become an interpreter.

I didnt catch it, that the spaceship was a banana (I did notice it was yellow) but I did notice that the "nose" was either sneezing stars out or sniffing stars in.

I couldnt find the link to listen to it last night. I'll try again tonight.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congrats, Arjen!

Being a blues lover, I especially enjoyed Waiting to Fall, but I also really liked the strings of Re-Invention One, and the introspective sounds of The World Onion and Erasing the Universe.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I just listened to the whole thing last night. The more I listened the more I liked it! Its really awesome 8) Its good to see someone go with there own vision :D --ken
BTW I like the set of keys by the hatch door. You should have the set of keys as your logo :idea:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks people! :D

Ken: haven't thought to much about it but I did think about having a set of keys in every album cover that might come, but not sure if it should always be the same. I definitely do not like to actually write down the 'band name' so I'll come up with something.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

Wow, I am impressed. You have some real songwriting skills. This is not exactly my kind of music but I do appreciate it. There were 3 songs especially I did enjoy:

Till You Drop- by far my favorite, this was a beautiful song, really enjoyed it. Super.

Re-Invention One- also very beautiful. While most of your songs tended to be a little long, this one seemed a little short, I wished it would have went on longer. Great song.

Fran's Laatste Analyse- I love Jazz, this was great too, maybe a little long for me. Very abstract, I liked it very much.

I liked the artwork. I took the keys as humor, why do you have to lock a door in space? :D
And the old fashioned key-hook in a modern spaceship. Good stuff.

You should keep writing music, you are very creative. But don't be afraid to write some mainstream music as well.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks wes. Yeah, the keys are a joke. It's also pretty hard to hang a bunch of keys on a hook if there ain't no gravity. :D
You should keep writing music, you are very creative. But don't be afraid to write some mainstream music as well.

Don't worry, I won't. Most songs I write are mostly written just to practice a certain aspect of music. I don't really classify music as mainstream vs 'alternative/avant garde/experimental/whatever', and recently I've found myself writing pretty 'conventional' music. I don't care, as long as it sounds good to me. Just put one of them up, feel free to check it out:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28818

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Just listened to all the tracks--I really do like it a lot Arjen (especially those pick squeals in The World Onion) :) I like the fact that you're not stuck in a traditional concept of music form; or even western music tradition at all, and can choose when you want to step back into it and when you would rather not. Sorta like Cage, but also that Beatlesque thing where they did the songs and then also had a lot of fun with the transitions and the cutting up and splicing of tape and all those things. Music Concrete in a way.

I know you've said they're short excursions into certain concepts, but it hangs together really well I think. Are you going to package a few up and put them on CD Baby or something?

Would be cool.

Reminds me of that Anton Webern suite, Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 10.

Keep going where you're going; it shouldn't be too crowded so there'll be room to breathe :)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks man! :D
Are you going to package a few up and put them on CD Baby or something?

No,'doubt it. I thought a minute about doing the 'paid downloads' at soundclick. Every song 25 cents of which 18 cents or so goes directly to the artist. Pretty good deal but in the end it doesn't make much sense. I'd rather have a hundred people listen to my music for free then earn $2.50 and have only ten listen. Costs me a few dollars but I get the rights to act like a Real Artist. ;)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Congradulations on finishing it Arjen. Can't wait to listen when I have a few minutes. Although I think I've heard at least half of it before.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Congratulations Arjen/Sleutenbos. 8)

Still working through the songs but I'm already deeply jealous of all the effort and the outcome. It's inspired me to work towards getting my act together and do a few songs too.

I kind of liked the nipple interpretation too. Reminded me of the old joke:
Q: "How you make a bag of fat cells and ductal tissue look interesting?"
A: "Stick a nipple on the front"...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Chris. If this would really inspire you (or someone else for that matter) to give it a shot as well then that alone would have made it worthwhile. :)

And for those whose who care, I'm busy updating, changing and writing new stuff. Looks like the next one will be done within a few months and if all goes well it's going to be a step up from this one.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2