15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

What's the right way to hold your thumb when you play guitar? :?:

It's a question that every new player asks at some time or another. It's also an ongoing debate between Classically trained guitarists and Rockers that never really goes away.

So I thought that it was time I shared some of my wisdom and experience on the subject with you all. And I simply can't let Pete get away with posting all the best pictures here....

So here are the positions that I use:

No. 1. The Classical

Thumb slightly bent and securely planted in the middle of the neck. I find this position excellent for impressing new guitarists with my classical knowledge. Not recommended for playing, due to the extreme difficulty of getting any of the fingers to actually reach a string.

No. 2. The Laid Back

Recommended for early morning or late night playing, when about 90% of you is already asleep, but the strumming hand just wants to keep worrying away at the strings, and needs something - anything - fretted......

No. 3 The Erect Military Position

If you catch your thumb carrying on like this then it's almost certainly getting delusions about starring in one of those YouTube "Freaky Ways to Play Guitar" videos. It probably also has plans to post anonymous follow-up comments describing itself as a genius. Stamp this out before it goes too far .... :evil:

No. 4. The Perfect Barre

Nothing much to say here, except to just enjoy the simple elegance and efficiency of the barre. It has the added advantage of leaving the Index finger completely free for gesturing mysteriously - which is always a bonus when building a reputation.

No. 5. The Godzilla.

Frankly, this is my most frequently used technique. Strings can be surly uncooperative devils and often need to be terrified into submission. Rearing up, snarling, and then dive bombing them with all the force you can muster soon smartens them up...

No.6. The Hangover.

Ideal for those mornings when you really can't remember who you are or what you did last night. Obviously there is a clear error here - the thumb is a touch too far round and there's way too much tension in the wrist. But it has the great merit of being superbly quiet when you play, which is exactly what you need. One small note of caution: If you've stumbled out of bed and grabbed the guitar while still naked you may experience unexpected pains in the groin area due to various things becoming entangled in the strings...

No. 7. The Sustain.

Perfect for those times when you want that note to go straight to the eardum by the most direct route possible. Also ideal for providing a stable anchoring point if you're a new player having trouble with the fretboard wobbling around all over the place. (Tip: There are other bodily orifices that can provide stable anchor points - such as in the 'Nostrildamus' position, and also that other one where you're showing off for YouTube by playing behind your back and need somewhere to anchor the thumb as a reference point.)

No. 8. The Chicken Strangler

Time to give that thumb another good talking too. It's getting way above itself again. This degree of thumb domination is not recommended- UNLESS you're Richie Havens, in which case it's not only allowed it's pretty much compulsory. He really does play like that. And I would kill for his voice and talent...so, why not...

No. 9. Richie at work. This man really can do amazing things with his thumb:

I hope that it's OK to link to this, because it really is a very interesting site with some great information on the man himself and how he plays. Well worth a visit. It was working fine yesterday, but the picture of his thumb wasn't working a few moments ago so I removed the link to it in case it was a bad move to link that way. Lots of good pics at his site

See his intriguing method at his site here (lots of pics)

How to play the Richie Havens way

Finally...

No.10. The "She'll be Right Mate"

An Australian favourite. Perfect for those times when you want to indicate to your bandmates that you have just spotted that you've been playing a different song to the rest of them for the last couple of minutes, but that you've now remembered quite a good chunk of the correct chord progression and some of the words, and hope to be rejoining them shortly. Also an ideal companion to a suggestive wink when you spot a likely new attractive 'friend' in the front row.

Or saying that's more than enough from me. :wink: :roll:

Hope you can build some of this knowledge into your own playing. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG - I can't even see, my eyes are watering so much. :lol: :cry: :lol:
I really did have to get out of my chair from laughing SO much.
It got SOOOOOOOOOO bad, that my 4 year old son came running over to console me. :D
He thought there was something wrong. LOL
My boy :D :D :D :D

That was so great.
Funny thing is - I'm familliar with most of those!!!! Especially # 10

OMG - they just got better and better.

Thank you so much :D

And - I LOVE Ritchie Havens

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

:lol:

Particularly liked number 3.

I'm just away to practice now.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Just when I thought I was getting a grip on things, now you give me 10 more things to learn. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It's no 4 for me - the thumb barre. Where were you all those years ago when I was misguidedly struggling to use my index finger to barre?
I could have been using my thumb all that time while gesturing wildly with my free index finger. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great stuff Chris! I never knew that all this time I was doing it wrong! Thanks for setting me straight!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

:lol: Glad we have you with us Chris.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Ha ha that's not what I was expecting :lol: I think I'm #2 for sure...

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Of course , the thumb barre also leaves the middle finger free to gesture wildly .. could be useful at times !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Thanks to you all for laughing at my terrible jokes, and replying in spirit. :)

Hope you learned some new tricks. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Chris -
I wasn't kidding.
I'm STILL laughing. :lol:

Actually - I DO employ the military style when I play around A on the high octave.

Thankx again,

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I vote for the "perfect barre" position :lol:

Great!

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

That was hilarious. I'm still laughing.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've never quite got around to #8 yet, although it's something to bear in mind for when the usual suspects (index middle ring and pinky) aren't doing what they're told and aren't doing what they're supposed to do......

There's one you missed though, Chris - when my hand was in plaster last year, the only way I could play at all was by putting a slide on my thumb and using an open tuning.....it got so that I could do recognisable versions (well...almost!) of Vigilante Man and Rocky Mountain Way....

Pity, I never took a pic at the time....but it would have looked something like this....

It was slightly easier than Teleplayer's suggestion - putting a slide on my toe.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

should we practice these in order? :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote