Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

acoustic/electric?

(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a new guitar.

Background: I've been playing for right at a year with a 2-3 month break because we were trying to finish building our house. I'm recently become very interested in fingerstyle after listening to Craig D'Andrea on the Acoustic Long Island Podcast.

What I'm looking for: An acoustic/electric that is made for fingerstyle but will sound just as good strummed

Styles of Music: I'm a big fan of the Unplugged 90's, any acoustic versions of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, etc...

But, I recently became interested in fingerstyle, by way of Craig D'Andrea, Andy McKee, and some others of the Candyrat.com crew. The music is incredible and I see myself wanting to moving in this direction.

One of the reasons I'm looking for an acoustic/electric is I would love to be able to plugin to my mac and record straight into Garageband Plus, I would like to "tinker" with effects just for the sake of curiosity. Eventually I would like to play at our church which would make it nice if I could just plug right into the PA.

Is it better to buy an acoustic and add the electronics later or go ahead and buy it with the electronics from the factory? The reason I ask is I found a new Seagull Peppino model for a good deal but its without the electronics. The one with electronics is $400 more which puts me over the budget limit.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcomed!
Thanks.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

(@dl0571)
Estimable Member

I can't particularly give you recommendations without knowing your budget but really, I would get something with acoustics now instead of installing them later. You CAN put them in later but it either requires some guitar surgery or a soundhole pickup which I find to be a hassle and usually don't sound great.

Knowing your budget I, and others, can give some recommendations.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Reputable Member

i have no experience of it myself but if you have a good acoustic...then you can fit clip on pick ups in the sound hole relatively cheaply....far less than the $400 of seagull......that seems a lot of money to me

just a thought

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ah... budget...yes.

I'm in the $750ish range. I can hold out awhile and save up to $1000 but then it begs the question of whether an advanced-beginner needs a $1000 guitar? I do want something that I will enjoy for several years and will be able to grow into, not out of...

I do know that I love the spruce/rosewood sound.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One place you could look is in the forum headed "I'm looking for a new..." - plenty of good advice there on Guitar purchases and budgets.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

One place you could look is in the forum headed "I'm looking for a new..." - plenty of good advice there on Guitar purchases and budgets.

:D :D :D

Vic

I thought about that but I also had the question about whether it was better to buy a guitar with electrics or save the money and install them later.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

You shouldn't have any problem finding a nice acoustic electric for $750. Check out Takamine's, their jumbo cutaway models sound really good fingerpicked, IMHO.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Ah... budget...yes.

I'm in the $750ish range. I can hold out awhile and save up to $1000 but then it begs the question of whether an advanced-beginner needs a $1000 guitar? I do want something that I will enjoy for several years and will be able to grow into, not out of...

I do know that I love the spruce/rosewood sound.
I think once you get past the starter stage you pay what you can comfortably afford for your step up guitar. If you have been driving for a while and are able to afford the BMW of your dream do you get an Honda Civic just because its your second car?

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

The question is do you get the BMW, or do you get a little bit cheaper but still just as well made car, so you can afford a motorcycle too? Or maybe so you can afford the car and new rims?

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

You shouldn't have any problem finding a nice acoustic electric for $750. Check out Takamine's, their jumbo cutaway models sound really good fingerpicked, IMHO.

acouldn't agree more
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?p=246680#246680

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

whats the nut width on this model? My Yamaha I currently have is 1.68" and it seems tight for me.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i think my eg523sc is about 1-11/16 which is ok for me and i have pretty big fingers, if you want or need more i would look at SeaGulls.

#4491....

ReplyQuote