Acoustic Electric ior Acoustic

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello,
I need some quick advice. I'm looking to buy an used Acoustic guitar and since i record most of my stuff, i was looking for an Acoustic electric guitar. There's an Alvarez (not sure of the model, haven't seen it yet) AE selling for around $150 and i was thinking of buying it if it sounded good. Now i noticed an Ibanez acoustic AW10 selling for less than $100. Now this guitar is a solid top and i'm wondering if i should buy it and add a pickup to it? Since recording is important to me, should i just pony up the extra cash and just buy the acoustic electric or would the acoustic sound equally well plugged in if i add a pickup? Thanks.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I apologize for posting this in haste. For some reason, i thought the pickup (and installation) would cost less than the money i'd be saving by buying the acoustic :lol:
I won't delete the thread, i'd still like to know about adding pickups to an acoustic Vs an AE. Thanks.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

just keep in mind that acoustics in that price range are marginal in quality of build and sound.
disclaimer: I have owned very inexpensive guitars that had cool mojo sound.

an option to an acoustic with a built in or added pickup is ultilizing a microphone.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

A/E's are nice when they have 9V pre-amps, equalizers plus volume, and sometimes a built-in tuner. They can be incredible values - you might like a cutaway too.

Alvarez or Alvarez-Yairi is a pretty good make. Still a good guitar can be a nightmare depending on condition. Bottom line is condition, playability and sound, well we all know that.

Having said that, I have had lots of luck over the years and up until the time I sold my early 70's SJ Deluxe just a few months ago, with simple transducers or piezo pickups and no bells and whistles. Other examples: old Dove and original Takamine Martin copy. As dogbite mentioned, to paraphrase, those guitars sounded pretty darn good by themselves in the first place, and I mean that I really was lucky to have the piezo or under-saddle pickup not ruin their sound.

FWIW and though they come and go, I use a Garrison A/E now - it had a spare or a double in a brand new unplayed Takamine and I sold that.

I have a strictly acoustic flat top and dreadnaught CBS Masterworks, and the spare for it, most recently was a cool, cheaper Jasmine - sold it too.

My 12 String is a pretty decent, reasonably-priced Crafter and it WAS the spare for my '62 Gibson B45-12 which sold - I've been downsizing lately by design.

So, if you have to pick among used or happen to see a new one somewhere, Takamines are readily available, and Crafter, IMO is a great value, very well made & toneful.

I hope this helps, and good luck & good playing.

Some of my re-runs, already seen in this forum:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote