Clear all

Acoustic guitar $600-800 range.

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@klangen86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to buy a new acoustic western guitar. I feel kind of lost in a sea of brands though. I play mostly strumming and I almost never do pingerpicking.

Any recomendations? I don't want to look like a complete fool when I go try some out.

Thanks in advance

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It's not the answer you've asked for, but my advice is always to set the price range (as you've done already), then go to the nearest/biggest/friendliest shop and try every last guitar in that range. Every single one of 'em. They won't mind - they'll know you're serious about buying. Spend as long as you need, and walk out with the one you like best. One of 'em will find you :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

to get an idea of what is available "up to" your $ limit, visit all the usual online sites and surf the pages offered for acoustic guitars.
they all have a tab where you can narrow the field by price ranges.
notice i stated "up to" your limit, you may very well fall in love with a guitar several hundred dollars below your limit.
that said, do exactly what Misanthrope suggested and try everything that even slightly appeals to you.
if you are unsure of your own judgement, take a friend along.

don't rule out any brand because of preconceived notions or other peoples predjudices, give them all a go and have fun doing it. learn as much as you can about every aspect of every detail and use the opertunity to learn as much as possible.
this will cut down the chances of "buyers remorse" setting in after you've got your new family member home.
above all have fun doing it and take your time, that amount of money will easily buy a guitar you will be happy with for a very long time.
good luck and good shopping.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@klangen86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Let us now how you get on too, we want piccies! :)

ReplyQuote
(@klangen86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Today I finally bought my new guitar... I'm so happy!:D

I was trying out guitars all day... I probably played everything they had! I tried some really expensive ones and some really cheap ones. I didn't really fall for anyone of em.

Just when I was about to go home empty handed I saw a kind of plain-looking Tanglewood cutaway in the corner of the shop.
I completely blew me away! Everything I played sounded really rich! Then I looked at the price tag... 3200SEK(339 euros)!
SO I went up to one of the employees and said: "There is NO way this guitar only costs 3200!". He looked at it and saw that it was mislabeled and the real price was 5900SEK(625euro). To make a long story short I bought it instantly and it hasn't left my lap since( I have it in my lap as I'm writing this).

Oh... this is the guitar I'm talking about:
http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/acoustic/tanglewood/new/TW15-CE.htm

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

"Told you so" said Misanthrope, looking unbelievably smug. ;)

The right one always finds you, even if it leaves it till the last minute... Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

nice score!
congrats man.
an all solid wood guitar needs to be looked after as to humidity, etc, so make sure you're up to snuff on the particulars :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Today I finally bought my new guitar... I'm so happy!:D

I was trying out guitars all day... I probably played everything they had! I tried some really expensive ones and some really cheap ones. I didn't really fall for anyone of em.

Just when I was about to go home empty handed I saw a kind of plain-looking Tanglewood cutaway in the corner of the shop.
I completely blew me away! Everything I played sounded really rich! Then I looked at the price tag... 3200SEK(339 euros)!
SO I went up to one of the employees and said: "There is NO way this guitar only costs 3200!". He looked at it and saw that it was mislabeled and the real price was 5900SEK(625euro). To make a long story short I bought it instantly and it hasn't left my lap since( I have it in my lap as I'm writing this).

Oh... this is the guitar I'm talking about:
http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/acoustic/tanglewood/new/TW15-CE.htm

I congratulate you on your honesty, and I hope you enjoy your fine new instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@klangen86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!

I've started to get worried about the humidity thing though. I don't have anyway of measuring the humidity in my room but it's cold outside and the radiator is on full. I've read up on it and while some ppl recommend guitar humidifiers you fit in the sound hole, some say they do more harm than good.

I didn't buy the guitar to have it stuffed away in gigbag all winter! I play a few hours every day and to put a humidifier in it every time I put it down seems strange.

Any advice?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yes, get a hard case asap.
any of a number of wick type humidifiers will do.
i use this type on all of my acoustics
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Glaesel-GL3862-ViolinViola-Humidifier?sku=420648

also i use a hygrometer similar to this one,
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HYG-75&Category_Code=hygrometers&Product_Count=2
you can find small digital versions with thermometers built in as well for around $10

try to keep the humidity in your house around 45% or more if possible

#4491....

ReplyQuote