Clear all

acoustic guitar question

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so I've been playing guitar for about a year now and loving it. However I've been aching to start playing acoustic a bit more. So I was wondering what you guys recommend or could tell me about buying one? I don't know wether or not I should get an electric acoustic...

I'm looking for one that's a step above a beginners guitar. Probably around $350 - $600 Canadian dollars.

any help is appreciated.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You could try looking here.....

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=f32d8ebc4f0db735fecd00e709ab6d20

at some of the recommendations.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I don't know anything about Canadian prices or values but I'd certainly check out Seagull guitars. I've been very happy with mine, and if an Australian can pass up Australian and US made guitars in favour of a Canadian one then I'd reckon they must be worth at least a look. :)

When you think about whether to buy one with electrics or not, have a think about amps too. Electrified acoustics can be played through regular amps, but if you want to get the best out of the acoustic sound then there are dedicated acoustic amps made especially to do a better job of reproducing the sounds correctly. The difference may not bother you, and it probably depends what style you'd be playing whether it's much of an issue. But it's worth considering when budgeting for what you can afford, and also worth trying out the different amp styles to see whether you'd be likely to want to go that way or not.

Have fun trying them out and don't be pressured into rushing your decision. Lots of good stuff out there to choose from. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well ive been looking into it a lot and im leaning towards a seagull m6 or s6...they sound like really amazing guitars. and id rather not get an acoustic electric because im a schtickler for the best tone possible. maybe one day when i can afford an acoustic amp.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :D

I just got my acoustic goin' again.
It's been broke for quite a while now. (the bridge pulled off :( )
I've been playin' it non-stop now for the last week, and wore my voice out again singin' old Tim Buckley songs. (and some
Neil Young of course 8) )
Needless to say, I missed it and have no idea how I went so long without it.

Mine is an Ovation Custom Balladeer.
A very nice guitar for sure.
A bear to play with the strap on standing up though.

While I've never played a seagull, I've heard nothing except wonderful things about them.

My only concern would be what type of top you get.

Spruce is probably the most widely used.
It is more for a picking style of playing and has a nice slightly brite sound.

Mahogany tops have become popular.
Again, for more of a picking style with a nice mellow, warm sound.

Cedar is more for fingerstyle playing. It sounds like a blown speaker if you use a pick on it.
(This is what I have, I use my fingers)

Also, strings are very important for acoustic tone.
My favorites are DR Rares. Phosphor Bronze Hex core strings.
They give that light, airy, 'potato chip' crispy sound that I love in acoustics.
Very woody - not metalic-y
And they are SO comfortable.

I agree with the dis-'tone' of acoustic/electrics.
My Ovation is an A/E guitar.
Sounds so fake when its pluged in.
Tone freaks would cringe at it.
I will say that it is convenient though at times.
Especially if I wanna plug into a recorder to get something down right away. :roll:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well im definately not a fingerstyle player really...i enjoy rhythm playing the most. so what type of top would be best for that?

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah,
I would stay away from cedar tops if you plan on rhythm with a pick.
Cedar's a weaker wood that vibrates more.
Using a pick hard makes for a very unpleasant sound.

Spruce is the most common wood for tops.
Very strong. And pretty good looking.
It holds up well to picking and produces a nice brite sound.
This is what I'd recommend.
If the guitar has mahogany sides and/or back, that will balance the sound out nicely.

Mahogany tops produce a warm to dark sound.
Also good for hard picking.
Although a nice sound, I think that spruce is a more versatile choice.

Of course, that's just my opinion :D

Ken :wink:

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Coreyb,

If you get the chance, go to the stores and try several guitars yourself.

Some months ago I was buying a guitar and was trying electrics and acoustics. Finally I bought an electric but I had selected the acosutic Seagull S6 for the future. Well, two weeks ago I bought an acoustic. Obviusly the Seagull was the option... but... when I was to the store I also played several ones... My selection was a Martin.

I mean, sometimes ourselves change our tastes and criteria on the sounds and feel of the instuments. I remember the Seagull seemed to me the best guitar, however, currently it is a good guitar (probably the width of its neck it is also responsible of my change, when I tried the frist time I played a classical guitar).

On electro-acosutics. If you don't need it, don't buy. Think that the electronics is inside of the guitar box and the manufacturers nned to cut the wood. I guess it must modify the sound and resonance, no? You always can put a pickup or external mic. Moreover, you can save around $100 or go to a better guitar.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so I was looking on ebay yesterday and noticed you can get some pretty sweet guitars for a good price on there. I was thinking about buying a Gibson J-45 instead of the Seagull. I found one for about $1000 Canadian. I would rather get a guitar that I'll be happy with for a long time then get something that I would want to upgrade in a few years.

What do you guys think about this guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I also found a J200 Custom for around the same price...any info you guys can provide would be awesome.

corey.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/brand/Gibson

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about those two guitars.
They sound very nice.

Here's a link to Harmony Central's user reviews for most Gibson guitars.
Hope you find this helpful.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote