Clear all

Acoustic Recommendations

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm going to be getting a $500 bonus from work for my 1 year anniversery. So I'm set for electrics with my Jaguar and am looking at acoustics. I don't know much about acoustics (I don't even know what solid-top means) so am looking for help.

I'd like to get something with a thinner body so I'm not struggling to get my arm around it, with a cut-away and acoustic-electric because I like to plug it into my amp, and use distortion on occasion.

I'm looking at around $500 though am willing to go to $700 if need be.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

My guitar is what you're looking for but it was over your budget. it's a Martin 000-16GTE. What you want is something in a 000 or OM size. don't get a standard size guitar. I don't have a specific recommendation for you but i think there is probably something out there for you in a Guild, Seagull or Blueridge. A solid top just means that it's not a laminate. Most guitars are spruce tops with mahogany or rosewood backs and sides.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I've got a Seagull S6+Folk which is the OM size, solid cedar top and laminate cherry sides and back that I'm in love with, it cost about $300+. Also in your price range are some Blueridge models, which I've never heard a negative comment about. Breedlove Atlas's might be another idea, and possibly the Martin 000-15 if you like mahogony it might be found near your range.
When it comes to solid vs laminate, a solid guitar will age and its tone will improve, a laminate is what you buy is what you get. Bear in mind that most of the sound is created by the top so many models offer solid top with laminate sides and back, which usually gives a good bang for the buck.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Why do you want a cutaway?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd recommend you try out some Seagull acoustics. Smaller scale necks, body styles aren't huge, and great tone IMO. They have many different options to choose from too. Made in Canada, so you should be able to find them at many dealers around you. Good luck on your quest! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I've suggested Seagull to a few people, even though I love my Takamine.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input, and for clearing up the solid-top thing.

I like cutaways because I play on higher frets frequently, even on acoustics.

Does anyone have experience with Ovation? What does 000 and OM mean? Is that the body's thickness?

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'd recommend you try out some Seagull acoustics.
+1

Good luck! :)

EDIT:
Sorry, TwistedLefty, is the Boss Acoustic Simulator good? I was thinking some months ago in this kind of simulators or multi-fx and finally I bought a Zoom G2.1u and I'm not too happy with its simulator. I remember Misanthorpe told me the same.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I've played a few Ovations and liked the neck on them but the rounded body always seems to slip off of my leg when sitting. Other than that I like them.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

OM means Orchestra Model. it refers to the size. It's smaller than the standard drednaught. 000 is the same size as OM. Something is different about it but i don't know what.

I have the Seagull S6+Folk. the thing about Seagulls is the neck width is a little wider at the nut so it makes them good for fingerpicking. I don't like that one for strumming at all.

Ovations are ugly, IMHO.

There may be thinline acoustics that are made but in general the body depth is important to the sound quality. You should be fine with an OM or 000 size. There are smaller guitars also, parlor size and 00 size, 1/2 size and 3/4 size.

Washburn is another brand you should check out. They may have something. I looked at the GREATEST all mahogany Washburn 3/4 size guitar a few weeks ago for $250 in a store. It was better than the all mahogany (15 series) Martins that someone mentioned above.

another thing to consider, you can add electronics to any acoustic guitar somehow.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ovations aren't all bowl backs now.

Blueridge are great, Seagulls are winners too, personally I like older Washburns a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

AFAIK the differance between the 000 and OM sizes is the scale lenght, which is just a matter of personal preference, I think the OM is a little shorter. Also I've seen some of the OM size with slotted headstocks.

ReplyQuote