Clear all

Acoustic Simulator

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jasmeece)
Topic starter  

hi All,

I have been looking for an acoustic guitar simulator to keep from changing guitars back and forth. I have seen some offereings from Boss and heard some things about the Acoustic sim of Digitech. But is the any opinions on which of these would sound like my piezeo. Is there any others I might have missed?

(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I have heard from various folks (some of whom I trust emphatically) that acoustic simulators all have one thing in common: They suck.

Just gonna have to switch guitars if you want a true acoustic sound.

*I will qualify that. if you use a soundhole pickup in your acoustic, the simulator might be a good alternative since the soundhole jobbies tend to sound like an electric anyway*

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Behringer has an acoustic pedal. Never tried it, so can't comment.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHAM100

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

or you could approach it from another angle entirely
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-UltraII-Electric-Guitar?sku=515624
"The Les Paul Ultra-II is a truly different hybrid guitar combining a real Les Paul Guitar with a fingerboard-mounted NanoMAG Samarium/Cobalt pickup and electronics to produce shimmering acoustic tones with ultra-wide dynamic range."

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member

I was unaware such a product existed!

I agree that it probably would be a poor comparison to a real acoustic guitar, but it makes sense for gigging if you have written a song that has an acoustic sort of intro and then 'rocks' up a bit. But i don't know if it would be so handy at home when changing your guitar between songs isn't that much of a big deal.

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The boss acoustic simluator is also considered good.

Try for yourself. Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

as far as "simulators" go I've never heard one that remotely approaches the vibrancy, range, and warmth of a true acoustic or even a properly amped A/E.
it seems odd to me to try and simulate it in the first place.

many people that play electric primarily by and large, seem to always be searching or tweeking their rigs to find that one glorious magical tone.
wouldn't the acoustic part of a set or song warrent the same attention?
nothing beats the real thing baby. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jasmeece)
Topic starter  

Hi all,
thanks for all of the feedback. I know that a sim will be a sim and can be a poor approximation of the real thing. Also if I could change guitars I would but this is typically for a church service and I dont want to be a distraction juggling things around. I might be going about this backwards though. I typically play an acoustic but I need to sound like and electric with a bit of distortion. Has anyone ran an acoustic through effects and ended up with that nice bluesy overdrive tone? Like I said it is a classic 4 peizo so it sounds good but it is not the best acoustic pick up in the world.

Oh, and if I could afford that Les Paul I would be on it in a miniute, Fender has a similar option.

Jas

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ah, i see. you are actually playing acoustic and need a bit of distortion?
i think you will be messing with a lot of feedback problems going this way.
maybe a slight overdrive with a pedal that doesn't distort the lower frequencys as much as the higher ones?

check out this vid of "the breeders" doing "cannonball" there are a few places where the acoustic is played with mild distortion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AsId-qVIb4
she is using a Baggs LB6 with preamp (under saddle) running into some overdrive.

another way to experiment on the cheap would be to try an ART MP Studio Pre-amp (about $30 at MF) and a Bad Monkey OD (around $40 at MF)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jasmeece)
Topic starter  

Twisted,

Thanks for the suggestions. That may be what I am looking for. I have a few pedals being shipped from an online auction site but not a pre amp. What is the benifits of running through the pre first?.

Jas

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

the idea of using the Art preamp comes from the coincidence that i just bought one.

Ricochet and a few of the other tube gurus here will be needed to ascertain the validity of this.
although it states that it is a "tube" pre amp, the truth is that it is a mostly solid state "starved plate" design with a tube that is supposedly there to help "color" the sound.
i bought mine on the suggestion that swapping a different tube can have more dramatic effect.
(i was told a GT 12ax7c would do it)

in your application i thought it would serve as more of a fine control for an overdrive pedal, but you could probably do without just as well.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jasmeece)
Topic starter  

Ok,

I will check out the pre amp and look for some alternate tubes for it. It cant hurt since it get several great reviews.

Thanks for the help.

Jas

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

I have a Line 6 variax that has a lot of acoustic models in it. That's another alternative. :idea:

ReplyQuote
(@btiazza)

Ok lesson one. Dont buy Behringer. Lesson two, see lesson one.

Someone mentioned something about the boss acoustic simulator. They are pretty damn close to the real deal. Of course none of them are going to be as good as a real acoustic. But in a live situation if you are playing short parts-sections, the pedal is great practicallity wise.

I have a boss one myself, and its great, has a couple of different acoustic options, and also has its own reverb.

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

you could try a Parker P38 or the "fly" if you can find one excellent electric guitars imo that can rock with the best and also have a piezo / transducer for a pretty good accoustic sound , not going to get a 100% full bodied mic'ed accoustic sound but they are very versatile guitars if you need it all in one model , in my opinion much better than a line6 or an accoustic sim.. I love my podxt live but its accoustic modelling isnt a patch on the Parker.

The piezo can also be added to the normal pickup mix for some really interesting tones a really well thought out design with also a fantastic glass/carbon-fiber fingerboard.

Very revolutionary patented guitars and beautiful to play worth trying one , in all my years with guitars the Parker has been the most versatile in one package , I just dont like the shape any longer , a bit too space age and modern for me.

Great for smaller gigs when you cant or dont want to lug more than 1 guitar etc :D

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote