Clear all

!ACOUSTIC UNCERTAINTY!

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rpcruab)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have recently gotten engaged and my fiancee is going to purchase an acoustic for me as a wedding gift, (I feel very privileged to have such a wonderful partner!) She is letting me choose the acoustic to be and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I am looking for a nice acoustic, not acoustic electric, and I am looking for something around $1,000. I have a $3,000 dollar limit but I don't want to push my luck :D If anyone has owned or experienced any exceptional guitars in this range I would love to hear about it. Any opinions appreciated! Thanks folks!

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hello, and congrats on your pending wedding!

I own a Taylor 214 *their just above low end" and love it. I think it was only about $800. There are a ton of nice sounding guitars in that range, though. This one just caught my ear and was my personal preference. I've heard really nice Martins and Breedloves near that range as well. For some reason, the Taylor was the one for me. :?: It's got a thunderous boom to it when I want it and some gentle tones when I want it.

There was a Martin that a friend of mine got that sounded, I don't know, more melodic. Pretty, maybe. I wouldn't pass up either one, that's for sure. Too bad he moved away though....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

once you hit that price range you will find many good guitars in several brands. this is the point where playability comes in; what suits your hands . I found that Martins are perfect for my hands. I can nail notes and chords every time. my hands feel good around the neck and the frets feel perfect.
I tried many guitars in the same price range and kept coming back to the Martin 16 GT.
I got the mahogany. wonderful guitar at 1200$ or less.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I agree with Dogbite, Martin is my acoustic guitar. They are very comfortable to me and my hands.

I have a Martin D15, all mahogany. Perhaps it is not "common" visually but it has the best tone I never heard (IMHO obviously). The mahogany top and not only the sides and back does that sound was more mellow, I don't know if it is the guitar that Roy mentioned, some acoustic guitars some too much treble to me (but note I am Spaniard and I am used to nylon string guitars). Every day I play that guitar I'm happier.

But in that range there are great guitars: Martin and Taylor are always a good purchase. Now I was speaking with a friend in a guitar store. They have received several Lakewood today. I like very much that brand, mainly because one of my guitar heroes (the Portuguese Rui Veloso, see my avatar) plays them. Probably I'll try them (*) next week, if you wish I could say me opinion.

Larrivée is another great brand. I like those guitars, too. But it is another tone

(*) - Note to me. I only have to try them, I must not buy them. :roll:

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

(*) - Note to me. I only have to try them, I must not buy them. :roll:

It is easier to buy them - you'll have plenty of time to try then eventually

Congrats rpcruab - with that kind of wife and a nice guitar good times are up ahead :D

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Taylor has some great guitars in that range, and if you are willing to get a blem or used you can buy up to a really nice guitar. I got my 714ce for under $1000 with a finish crack. That kind of guitar for that kind of money I can live with it.

Blueridge also has some amazing instruments in that range. If you can play them you should check them out.

Gibson WM-45 is another excellent guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Will she be my fiancee too?

I know I say it every time, but I've got a Washburn and I rate them right up there. You might even get change out of your thousand bucks.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

A Martin D-28 will go along with you a long way (probably outlive you even) and it does have a wonderful sound (from the songs I have heard and videos seen at youtube).

Should be yours at around 2000$.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Congratulations on your engagement, and excellent choice of partner. :D

As others have said, you'll be within range of a number of great guitars in that price bracket. It will come down to finding 'the one' that just fits the style, feel and sound that you like the best. It's hard to predict in advance, and you'll find that even two supposedly 'identical' guitars from the same maker can sound a little different. And just to confuse things, they can sound different depending on the acoustics of the shops you're trying them in, how long the strings have been on the display model (and how much they've been previously played), how you are going on that day, and stuff like that.

When I went out looking for a Taylor, a Martin, or a Maton, I ended up with a Seagull instead. I've never regretted the choice, despite liking the others a lot too. It just seemed to be the one that brought out the best in me, and most fitted what I was able to bring out of the guitar. So it's all a matter of balancing what your head, your heart and your instincts are all saying.... much like choosing a wife... :wink:

All the best with both journeys.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rpcruab)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thank you all for the kind words of advice and encouragement. I am hoping to visit a few stores to try out some different options. I will let you folks know what the verdict is :D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Chris, that is an excellent point. Seagulls are really nice guitars that you can find for that money and get change back. If that's what you are looking for.

So my advice.....don't buy a guitar by price range. I mean within reason. You may not want an entry level guitar, but you are better off defining what you want by feature and then checking out what is in you range.

Make a list:

Solid Top: Yes
Solid back and sides: not so important to me
Electronics: yes
Top material: Adirondack Spruce
Size: OM
Pickguard: No
Nut Width:

etc. etc.

You may find you've already narrowed the field down quite a bit before you go shopping. Then you don't need recommendations from the peanut gallery.

ReplyQuote
(@rpcruab)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Point taken. I have been thinking of some specific specs I want in an acoustic and I have supplemented that with everybodys input on here. I completly forgot about seagulls and there is a dealer about 40 minutes from my location so I think I will give them a try! Thanks again for everybodys advice! Updates soon :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good luck on your journeys to the guitar stores. Heck, they even give you some unwind time as things get busy for the wedding prep. Double-win.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

1 - Bring the wedding forward, marry her as soon as you can. She's a GOOD one!

2 - When in doubt about what to buy, acoustic guitar-wise, ask Nick if he's got any for sale....

3 - I know nothing about Seagull guitars, but a LOT of people on these forums have had nice things to say about them, and I can't remember an uncomplimentary post about them either.

4 - Good luck with both the forthcoming nuptials and the forthcoming purchase!

And an old joke - what's the difference between a Martin and a Marriage? No such thing as a bad Martin, and you can always sell a Martin on for a profit......

Ahh, I'm getting cynical in my old age......tut tut!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :D

Well.... this is where I offer my usual suggestion for acoustic guitar pick....

The Takamine TAN16C.
http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1331&sid=65

IMO - A beautiful and well crafted acoustic.
It played great, and had such a wonderful multi-dimensional sound.

It has a Spuce top, and I usually prefer Cedar as I mostly play with my fingers....
Surprise: It took to finger playing like a duck takes to water!

It has a solid rosewood back and rosewood laminate sides.... I personally prefer rosewood over mahogany.

I know you said that you weren't looking for an acoustic/electric, but hey.... Bonus.
I never even played it plugged in myself.
The cool tube technology that it uses is state of the art (for the time being).

Somebody else here at GN asked for opinions on acoustics and ultimately decided on the Tak Tan16C....
He is very pleased with it.
It may not be the guitar for you, though I would strongly suggest trying one.

You can pick one up for about $1200.00.

Best of luck, and congratulations :D

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2