Notifications
Clear all

Adam and the ants

36 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

We have loads of the Black Widows. Just pretty much watch what you grab outside. Flip object over before grabbing is the way it is for us.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

all this talk of black widows is really putting me off the idea of ever going to america again. :oops: :oops:

is there anywhere in the US that doesn't have killer spiders? snakes I can deal with (i.e. I'm not horribly terrified/phobic, and they're slightly more noticable anyway), but spiders.............. :evil: :twisted:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

all this talk of black widows is really putting me off the idea of ever going to america again. :oops: :oops:

is there anywhere in the US that doesn't have killer spiders? snakes I can deal with (i.e. I'm not horribly terrified/phobic, and they're slightly more noticable anyway), but spiders.............. :evil: :twisted:

The cold regions, like New Hampshire & Vermont, are void of the deadly spider thing, and damned near void of the deadly snake thing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I guess I have to vouch for Roy while living in NC/SC I did come across my first Black Widow, it had made a nest in the stairwell where I was living. My first reaction was to kill it but it actually was a neat looking spider so I left it alone. I think when the cleanng crew came by the blew away her nest and I never saw it again.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Speaking of spiders .... I went out to one of my storage sheds a few minutes ago and waiting for me just inside the door was a tarantula!! :lol: It's the second one I've seen this spring!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Speaking of spiders .... I went out to one of my storage sheds a few minutes ago and waiting for me just inside the door was a tarantula!! :lol: It's the second one I've seen this spring!

you say that like it's amusing. :shock:

actually my form tutor back in high school has a 'pet' tarantula she used to get out to show us 'for fun' every now and then. bloody hated that tutor. one day it died. I was soooooooooo relieved.

in primary school (uh, kinda like elementary school, I guess), we had a 'show and tell' type thing where some guy came in with random animals for us to check out. I was more than happy to hold/pet/etc the collection of snakes, but when he had us all sit in a circle while he got tarantula out to 'roam the circle' I just had to leave.

what? I was being nice. if that thing had come anywhere near me, I'd have kicked the bugger halfway across the hall.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

you're all just saying this to try to scare me.

<Scrybe hopes. Desperately.>

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I never thought of those being that far north. I always thought of them being like southern Texas, NM, AR, Etc. Yuk! I better not tell my wife. She'll never come visit her dad.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Scrybe, it isn't that bad at all. Well, not the Widows. Never seen a Recluse, although I've got now 3 neighbors who've been bitten in 11+ years.

Nope, them Widows do not like to be disturbed, and they like dark and tight places. I'm looking out at the front flower garden right now. I built it years ago, and it has a mini-wall made of rock. Want a black Widow? Go lift up some of them rocks. You'll find one very quickly. So, we just adjust our behavior slightly. Now dis-lodging rocks and other things laying about without thick gloves and a good inspection. On the flip side, I still have not found one in my garage, and I've been in NC for 18-1/2 years. They generally don't go out much. No parties, religious ceremonies (of their choosing), skiing, music shows, etc. Dullards, mostly.

Snakes, though. Ew!!! Brrrr!!!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

ah, but snakes don't have me immediately screaming like the girl that I am and getting into a total hissy fit. no joke, if I see a spider here, I automatically flinch and move away. I'm getting a little better though, I can deal with little ones, but big uns, oh no......

I remember staying at my dad's once about two years ago. this huuuuugggggggeeeee spider was crawling about. he was too sick by that time to get rid of it for me, so suggested I use the extensiony bit on the hoover and hoover it up. I reluctantly did, but was terrified it'd somehow evade the hoover, run down the pipe and u my arm. Even after hoovering it up, I had this sneaking suspicion it'd come crawling back out as I was putting the hoover away. My mind was like a cheap hollywood horror flick for the rest of the night.

yup, I'm that bad with spiders. :oops:

with snakes I at least retain a modicum of rationality (while calmly running as fast as my legs will carry me in the opposite direction, lol)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

The thing with spiders...you don't see them until they are on you. Or at least nearly on you.
Just yesterday I was ironing my clothes for work and when I moved away from the ironing board I saw a spider dangling from a web directly above where my head just was. *Shudders*. Last summer I was washing my car and saw something floating in my bucket of water. I picked it out and it was a dead (THANK GOD) brown recluse.

I was scarred for life as a child when I walked through a web and 10 minutes later found one of those GIGANTIC bright yellow and black spiders crawling under my shirt. I have never been the same since and my dislike of spiders is second only to my dislike of flying. Now flying spiders or spiders on a plane...I would certainly die.

We had a bad ant problem at our house for a while. Every spring we would get them. I tried the ant traps but that didn't work. The only thing that helped was calling an exterminator. He sprayed some chemicals around but that was probably 5 years ago and we haven't had a problem since.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Who's gonna write a song on 'Snakes and Spiders' ? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my mum just freaked out, came in from the garden and was like "oh, I've just had a BIG shock." :shock: I jokngly said, "what, there's a black widow in our garden?" she said, "no, you know I don't have a problem with spiders!" wouldn't tell me what it was, and buggered off down the road. :shock:

she returns, and I finally get her to tell me. its a dead rat. I'm not fazed. She goes, "well, are YOU gonna go and pick it up and put in the bin?" I'm like, "yeah, okay, where is it?" she just stared at me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spiders, I hate. Dead rats on the other hand, fine........

(totally off topic, I know, but it made me think of this thread)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If anyone remembers the scene in the first James Bond Movie, Dr No (at lest I think it Dr No) where a tarantula crawls over his bed. All very scary, but the spider was called "Betsy" and very friendly (said her owner).

In Bangkok, they have Snake Park, where you can see some really deadly snakes (e.g. King Cobra) at close quarters (there's a show every day). It's not a circus, though, it is one of three places on Earth where the snakes are bred for their venom (to produce anti-venom). The end of the show is when they bring out the big pythons (4m+) for the visitors to hang round their necks.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member

Man, if want some wildlife to kill ya, come to Australia. We've got the highest proportions of venomous spiders & snakes in the world, & some of the deadliest :D
Not to mention coneshell, stonefish, crocodiles, box jelly fish...
As the Scared Werid Little Guys sang in their gleefull way .... "Come to Australia - you might accidentally get killed" :lol:

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3