Clear all

Advanced guitar playing

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Was just wondering the other day, what counts as advanced playing? I know I'm not a beginner and would probably class myself as intermediate as I can play Hendrix and David gilmour solo's note for note but I don't really know what counts as advanced. Anyone with an idea? I'd like to know since I teach guitar whether I can teach at an advanced level.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I think it depends on the genre. A folk guitarist who plays a m7b5 chord might be considered advanced by his peers; a jazz guitarist who can play that might still be a beginner, because it's a very basic chord in the genre.

But since the whole thing is subjective anyway, I'll make up some definitions.

Beginner - lacks one or more essential technical elements of their style. That might be a chord, a common rhythm, or whatever... but if you can't do it under any circumstances, you're a beginner. Beginners ask "how do you play this?"

Intermediate - can handle all the essential technical elements of their genre in some fashion. So a jazz guitarist who is never stumped by a chord name, but knows only one way to finger some chords would be playing at an intermediate level - they can get the job done in their genre, but they sometimes have to work a lot harder to do it than they need to. Intermediates ask "how else can I play this?"

Advanced - has command of the essential technical elements of their genre. Advanced guitarists aren't asking the how questions anymore... they're asking the what questions: what else could I substitute for this harmony? what can I say with this line? what vest should I wear to the Grammys? :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

what vest should I wear to the Grammys? :)

Oooh...Maybe I am advanced now...I have been asking that Question to myself often... :P

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I'm a jazz beginner, but a rock and blues intermediate/advanced. Moving up the jazz beginner scale tho, looking forward to being an intermediate jazzer! :P

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This is fun, could you do one for blues and rock levels too lol since thats closer to what I am?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote