3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

This is sort of a personal advice question, so if you're not into that, close now. In addition to good guitarists, there are some good folks on this forum, and if you've got a minute, I'd appreciate your ideas.

A good friend of mine is selling a Gibson Les Paul Standard, seems like from the mid-to-late eighties.

I'm a novice, never figured on having (or spending the money on) a real gibby. But here's the thing- he's a pro, and would never sell that guitar. Except that his wife (who is a close friend of mine as well, and probably my lady's best friend) has cancer, and they need the dough.

I'm in a pint sized latin american country that isn't into rock. And is so economically in the toilet that a gibson lp is worth maybe 6-10 months salary to most people. There's very little chance that my friend is going to get what he needs out of this guitar. (He's asking $1200)

I could afford it, sort of, and am the only one in our circle of jammers who sort of could. But I can't afford it forever if you know what I mean. I could buy it, but sooner or later would have to sell it. I'd like to buy it, in the hope that he'll buy it back from me in a year or so. But if he doesn't (can't), I'd have to sell it eventually. I'm not a thousand dollar guitar kind of guy.

I'd have advantages for selling it, anyway, because I could take it to the US with me and sell it there. (I'm American, most of my circle of friends are local, and wouldn't get visas for the US.)

I can afford to take a loss on this. That's what friends are for. I'm not worried if I buy it for $1200, have it 6 months to a year, and sell it for $900-$1000. But If it turns out that it isn't worth close to 80% of what I pay, I'd be taking enough hit to make things harder on me and mine, which I shouldn't do.

So two questions- WHat's a 20 year old LP in very nice condition worth? (Where you are.)

What would you do if you were me?

THanks guys,

Ande

(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

If it's in great condition, it's a very good price and probably worth it. The biggest question is, do you LIKE the guitar? In my experience, any Gibson made in the last 25 years or more is ridiculously overpriced when you consider their staggering quality control issues. This is not to say recent model Gibsons are bad guitars, just that they aren't worth the $3000+ they sometimes charge.

If you like the guitar, $1200 is a great price, and I don't think you'd ever have an issue getting your money back or more if you were to sell it, if you keep it in good condition.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that-

Funny, but I'm not even sure how much I like it- in this case I was seeing it mostly on the practical side. (Desperate friend, limited local market.)

I love the sound and look of the old gibbies- though they sound better in other hands than mine.

I've only ever played this one once, when I'd gone to see my friend play in a gig and we hung around and made noise after the bar had closed. I remember loving it, but i was...totally wrecked, actually.

I suppose I should try to play it sober.

best,
Ande

ReplyQuote