Clear all

advice on amps PLEASE!

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@daza152)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi I bought a epiphone SG400, its very to nice (to look at ) but an amp will make it nice to play. I am looking at two amps at the moment to get for it, they are the Fender Frontman 25R and the Marshall mg30dfx. Can someone please help me out with which way to go? I've read reviews and they both said were good with the odd one not liking them at all. I am a beginner to the electric guitar and will be mainly or only using for home use and practice. but in saying that I want it to last for a very long time and maybe small gigs in the future?? I like, and want to play music like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, GnR, Jimi Hendrix and plenty of other "Classic Rock" music. If you know what I should get or have an epiphone SG and let me know what you use, keeping in mind what I'll be needing it for, it would be a life saver :-)

Thanks for your time

Daza :note2: :note1:

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, they are both good practice amps. Try each one out at a music store if you can, preferably with an SG and see which one you like the sound of better. Personally, I used to have a little Marshall MG30 (not the DFX one) and it was a great little practice amp. I play classic rock and it worked well for my sound. That said, you really need to listen to both to decide. I think you may find the Fender brighter and the Marshall darker, as they try to emulate the sounds of their bigger more expensive cousins. Oh, I have an Epi G400 as well, nice guitar. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Oh, I have an Epi G400 as well, nice guitar. :wink:

Going by the size of your sizable fleet...you could say that again to most of the new guitars post !

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would go with the Marshall simply because of the music you listed. I am not sure about what amps David Gilmore used, but Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix definitely used Marshalls. And Marshalls have their own distinct sound, quite different from Fender. Fender amps are great, I own several, but you can't get that real Marshall tone with one. A good amp that does get a Marshall type tone is Randall, so perhaps check out their amps as well, they are very well built and sound great.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I would go with the Marshall simply because of the music you listed.

+1 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

another +1 on Wes's comments. I think you should try before you buy, but I have a Marshall and a Fender (neither of them being the specific amps you listed tho), and they are two totally different beasts. The result? There are some things I play where I just have to use a certain one. Admittedly my Marshall is a lot bigger than my Fender, but I've been using the Fender as my practice amp and it has had a marked effect on my playing since hunkering down with it for a while. For the music you listed, 'd go Marshall.

Btw, Eric Clapton also used Marshalls on the Beano album with John Mayall, and iirc on his Cream stuff. Pretty sure GnR and The Who also used Marshalls mostly.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote